Brand New!

Cr0-Magnon

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Not sure this is much of a discussion as I know most will agree but can we somehow make it clear to sellers on here that £10 off the price from a retailer (plus postage and Paypal fees?) isn't the bargain they claim. Regardless of condition, one of the main benefits of buying from a retailer is that you have legal rights should something go wrong. As someone who has sold a number of RIF's through the site, I have always been as honest as possible about current condition but there's no way I can guarantee the piston isn't going to break after 100 shots or something. Knowing this, I have to accept that sellers rightfully expect a significant reduction from the actual new price.

• Supporters

we do have mack's, which is certainly a novel way of dealing with the problem.

end of the day it is the buyers responsibility to do their own research on the item they're about to buy, including realistic estimates of what the price should be, and acknowledging the reality that any gun or peice of equipment (yes even brand new from a retailer) has no guarantee of performance or longevity.

• Supporters

Lol, where would be the fun in that, that's what we've got Mack's for.

Seriously though, this "issue" has been well documented on all the forums many times, as well as the usual 65-70% of new formula, again many times.

As they say, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Avenger63 is a perfect example, & he won't even answer his critics when he'd called out on it, not a dicky bird 😏

But if people want to pay over the odds to some sellers, that's down to them, the cynical side of me thinks most of the time it's because they don't have a suitable defence, & often the sellers won't ask for one if they're getting well paid 😏

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco
33 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Not sure this is much of a discussion as I know most will agree but can we somehow make it clear to sellers on here that £10 off the price from a retailer (plus postage and Paypal fees?) isn't the bargain they claim. Regardless of condition, one of the main benefits of buying from a retailer is that you have legal rights should something go wrong. As someone who has sold a number of RIF's through the site, I have always been as honest as possible about current condition but there's no way I can guarantee the piston isn't going to break after 100 shots or something. Knowing this, I have to accept that sellers rightfully expect a significant reduction from the actual new price.

Sellers are free to set their prices however they like. If they fail to sell, they either.. Keep the item, or drop the price. Since time immemorial!

I feel like this is really up to the buyer to take control of. They are, after all, buying the item - If they want to offer a lower price, they can (and should).

Otherwise it's just other people selling kit you're not going to buy, living rent free in your head.

24 minutes ago, Tackle said:

the cynical side of me thinks most of the time it's because they don't have a suitable defence, & often the sellers won't ask for one if they're getting well paid 😏

Call me a cynic as well then

I think a lot of sellers try it on. they set a higher price expecting to be knocked down with a bit of haggling. I never buy without getting a reduction whether it be cash off or postage/fees paid by seller.if a seller wont budge then  I bow out( unless I know it's a good deal)

Have bought from avenger 63, or hobbo as was,and have haggled for lower price.😎👍

Regards 

2 hours ago, Shamal said:

I think a lot of sellers try it on. they set a higher price expecting to be knocked down with a bit of haggling. I never buy without getting a reduction whether it be cash off or postage/fees paid by seller.if a seller wont budge then  I bow out( unless I know it's a good deal)

Have bought from avenger 63, or hobbo as was,and have haggled for lower price.😎👍

Regards 

ahh, but do you have a defence 😂😂?

8 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

ahh, but do you have a defence 😂😂?

I have your honour, I have.

👍🙂

Regards 

14 hours ago, Shamal said:

Regards 

I always set my prices higher than what I want for them, but there is having wiggle room and just taking the piss.

• Supporters

This topic goes round and round like a carousel , but do think ultimately it’s the buyers decision ether pay the price or not . But it is frustrating when you see an advert for something you want but when you open it the seller is asking silly money . So you know it won’t come down to a price you’d pay . Or the “it’s really rare so I’m asking more than retail was ! But if we must talk bugbears mine is “what’s your lowest price bro ?” ! Well I’m actually hopping for the max I can squeeze out of you so YOU suggest the number you want to pay not me saying the lowest I’ll take ! 

I kind of agree the seller can set any price they want and if they find a buyer willing to pay that then good luck to them.

I do find it annoying when the classifieds get filled with the same overpriced stuff that gets bumped to the top week after week, pushing more realistic sellers down in the ratings, but those are the breaks.

My personal favourites are the *new* WE pistols that often come up for £90 and then the seller wants postage and PP on top. So basically within spitting distance of an actual new one which will arrive quicker and have a warranty. To my surprise they seem to sell. I guess they end up taking an offer. 

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Druid799 said:

“what’s your lowest price bro ?”

i just reply with it being the listed price and ask for their defence, usually that sorts things out.

don't really do haggling, but then i'm also not really talking to sellers at all unless i'm already happy with the value of what they're selling.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i just reply with it being the listed price and ask for their defence, usually that sorts things out.

don't really do haggling, but then i'm also not really talking to sellers at all unless i'm already happy with the value of what they're selling.

Yea basically way I go as well , I always start with a price I’d like but I’ve also got the lowest I’d go in my head as well . If I do get really badly lowballed then I do a Robert De Niro’s ‘capt Shakespear’ technique from ‘stardust’ I’ll accept the offer price but add on admin fees that bump it back up to the asking price , the confusion it can cause is priceless! 🤣🤣

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.