How do You Know.

Jimbodini42

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi

Hoping there might be some light shed on this and never know I might stop asking so many questions. 

My question is... how do you know X fits with Y? 

I was recommended a hop rubber for one of my AEG’s and the advice was genuine and in earnest but when I was looking at rubbers I don’t think I’d have picked that one and it certainly was a different shape, length and thickness as the one that was provided as stock. Obviously you expect differences as that’s what’s going to implement the (hopeful) improvements. However in this case, the rubber didn’t fit at all (or possibly I couldn’t get it on). 

So when you are looking at parts, how do you know what hop rubbers will fit? Which nub will? The new nub I was suggested also didn’t seem to work with the hop as it barely protruded out. 

Which hop unit? 

How do you know which thinner barrel will? (Other than length obvs) 

Which mosfet will? 

Obviously that’s part of why this forum is useful and also can ask shops but from all my dealings with shops, unless you are talking to a particularly good tech they give you stock answers and it’s more hearsay! 

These questions are all obviously general and different for each model but I’m asking in the hope that might figure a way of being able to work what parts for what for other people too. 

Also in the hope of a guide through the responses e.g product X will fit any type of Y. Product A will with B but not C etc 

Experience, trial and error, research.

For someone to make a guide like that would be akin to writing the bible.

Why not simply state what gun you have?

No one knows everything, hence the purpose of a forum with its amassed experience - from trial and error and research.

Part of what has certainly put me off doing internals on guns. I’ve already got two useless (to me) bits of new parts despite research and trial and error and = bad experience ha! 
Hoping some answers of useful guidance to find right bits in future and for more people 

1 minute ago, Davegolf said:

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Davegolf said:

For someone to make a guide like that would be akin to writing the bible.

Why not simply state what gun you have?

No one knows everything, hence the purpose of a forum with its amassed experience - from trial and error and research.

this

it's 90% wasting money on stuff until you find what fits and works well together.

18 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

this

it's 90% wasting money on stuff until you find what fits and works well together.

That’s totally where I could see it going when I took mine apart and did the hop and spring as a lockdown project. Found very disheartening! 

Hence why thought some sort of guide would be a good idea but seemingly too vast of an effort. 

19 hours ago, Hudson said:

So what gun do you have, and what was the bucking that was recommended to you?

JG MP5K that I was hoping to

make less shit. So was suggested a maple leaf macaron 50 and an omega nub. 
The nub just squeezed in but the rubber wouldn’t fit into the hop unit and barely onto the barrel 

• Supporters
44 minutes ago, Jimbodini42 said:

Hence why thought some sort of guide would be a good idea but seemingly too vast of an effort. 

it would be nice, but i doubt anyone has enough (or even can have enough) experience to have tried every product in every platform.

for example i put together a "scrap build" ended up having to sift through my parts box to try half a dozen cut off levers to find one that worked properly for the shell i was using.

for a jg i'd suggest maybe try a pdi W-hop and standard nub, not quite as effective as the maple leaf for a heavier weight but very nice for the ~.3g range and i've had sterling service in my wee jg from it.

JG MP5s are fine, half of the problem youll be expierencing is the lack of barrel length / and or matched volume.

Adding a mock suppressor and a 150-180mm barrel will help alot.

As above the PDI W Hold gives great air seal, use the stock JG nub.

I particularly like these in GBB pistols (VSR type obv) or 'straight' for Rhop use.

The good ol' Prometheus Purple or G&G green are great buckings, use it with an SCS/Concave type nub.

This kind of reminds me of something that really pisses me off in airsoft. The lack of descriptions on items when buying online.

quite often I will come across something that sounds interesting, But had NO description at all for it. Like we are just expected to know what it is, what it fits, how it works and if we want it.

rant over lol

On 13/05/2020 at 16:29, Jimbodini42 said:

That’s totally where I could see it going when I took mine apart and did the hop and spring as a lockdown project. Found very disheartening! 

JG MP5K that I was hoping to

make less shit. So was suggested a maple leaf macaron 50 and an omega nub. 
The nub just squeezed in but the rubber wouldn’t fit into the hop unit and barely onto the barrel 

get a nicer barrel to fit in it. Maple leaf one should work :)

On 18/05/2020 at 16:34, Albiscuit said:

This kind of reminds me of something that really pisses me off in airsoft. The lack of descriptions on items when buying online.

quite often I will come across something that sounds interesting, But had NO description at all for it. Like we are just expected to know what it is, what it fits, how it works and if we want it.

rant over lol

My experience and thoughts exactly!!! 

So

I have been having a think about this and genuinely think there’s something of use that could come from this thread. Bit of an idea where I put out a template, people can comment on what they’ve changed in their guns and it fits/works with it and then allows users on here to use the search function as a rough guide to see what internal upgrades should fit their toy of choice. Through the power of collaboration a database of various builds can be seen and give an idea of what pieces to buy. 

Something like this:? 

Gun Model & Make: TM Sopmod recoil

Hop up mods: Prometheus xxxxxx, maple leaf xxxxx

Gearbox mods: Reinforced gears by xxxxx 

Motor mods: none 

Miscellaneous mods: None 

Anyone think of anything else that would be useful for the template? 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.