Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I used to RC years ago, just recreationally. It is proper nerdy really.

 

Had a couple Kyosho's, Tenth Technology touring car, a Schumacher touring car, finished on a Losi Ei8ht T - god that thing was awesome, 12 foot double no probs. Amazing what 3.5hp does in a 5kg car :D

 

Being involved in actual motorsport it's incredible the lengths people go to with RC.

I do wish real cars could go as fast and handle like RC scaled up :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

used to be a fair bit into it, ran mostly nitros and petrols.

 

that was before facebook really took over from forums for this kind of thing.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was involved in the National RC Racing scene in both 1/10th Electric (that was a while ago) and 1/8th Nitro (Less of a while ago but a good few years still), both off road. A number of my friends are sponsored Drivers in 1/8th (Craig Drescher, Simon Willets, Jon Howells) so I know a small amount.

 

The first thing is to decide what style you want? On-road or Off-road (In my opinion off-road is better as you can use it both on and off and all kids like to jump RC cars). I assume you are looking at electric if it is for your Son. The next is how much do you want to spend and do you want to have a bit of Dad time building a kit or buy a RTR (Ready to Run) or ARTR (Almost Ready to Run). The only difference between the previous 2 are one is all set to go, just add the battery and the second you need to fit your choice of receiver. Let me know what you are after.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, RobHedley said:

I was involved in the National RC Racing scene in both 1/10th Electric (that was a while ago) and 1/8th Nitro (Less of a while ago but a good few years still), both off road. A number of my friends are sponsored Drivers in 1/8th (Craig Drescher, Simon Willets, Jon Howells) so I know a small amount.

 

The first thing is to decide what style you want? On-road or Off-road (In my opinion off-road is better as you can use it both on and off and all kids like to jump RC cars). I assume you are looking at electric if it is for your Son. The next is how much do you want to spend and do you want to have a bit of Dad time building a kit or buy a RTR (Ready to Run) or ARTR (Almost Ready to Run). The only difference between the previous 2 are one is all set to go, just add the battery and the second you need to fit your choice of receiver. Let me know what you are after.

 

 

Already picked the car, getting him an Arrma Typhon 3s. Just going to take him bashing but if he enjoys it and decides he wants to race then will discuss options with him and look around for something suitable.

 

Trying to find decent suppliers of hard shell 3s lipos in the UK is a pain as there is not much clear info on what is best. Also will be replacing the transmitter and receiver as soon as possible so looking for ideas on those.

42 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

Err, shouldn't this be in off topic.

Maybe but who really cares 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Also will be replacing the transmitter and receiver as soon as possible so looking for ideas on those.

You cannot go wrong with a Futaba 2.4ghz. Spektrum are also an idea if you want to stick to a Wheel transmitter as appose to Sticks (There is a reason the top guys use sticks and very few use wheels but it is personal preference). If you wanted to go top dollar then you are looking at a Sanwa or a KO Propo but they would cost twice the price of the Buggy you bought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to race 1/12th scale pan cars at national level. Ridiculously quick things. Good fun but motorcycles and airsoft took over. 

 

Whatever you buy, especially if its an off roader, buy some spare driveshafts and steering arms ect. 

 

Spare set of more "road" style tyres and wheels too, as you can kill off road type tyres in literally 10 seconds or less on tarmac.

 

I had a Schumacher mission, 4 wheel drive 10th scale "touring car" type, set up for using in the street as a kid. When the other kids got 100 quid whole cheapish rc cars I got a new brushless motor and esc, talking 70 mph easily. it used embarrass the other kids. Electric has well surpassed nitro in rc. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cromulon1994 said:

I used to race 1/12th scale pan cars at national level. Ridiculously quick things.

Wow, twitchers!!! I spent a day racing one of these with a mate who loved them. So fast, so much grip as it was indoors on carpet. My reactions weren't quick enough for them and an ex-professional driver, I thought I had really quick reactions etc. Great fun though!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, RobHedley said:

Wow, twitchers!!! I spent a day racing one of these with a mate who loved them. So fast, so much grip as it was indoors on carpet. My reactions weren't quick enough for them and an ex-professional driver, I thought I had really quick reactions etc. Great fun though!!

 

Yeah, constant battle to keep them perfectly set up. We then found the club rules were more lax than the nationals rules, and instead of using 7.4 lipos we made one using a single cell 3.3v LIFE that had could deliver an incredible discharge rate. My dad made his own chassis that was lighter as it didn't need to carry the 7.4 lipo, in the end it was 2/3 the weight of the national level cars, and what it lost at the end of the straight it more than made up elsewhere. 

He was always finding holes in rules. When I did 1/10th indoors he modified some mini pins to fit, and they stick to carpet like velcro. They changed the rules next week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slightly off topic but RC related, I've looked at RC planes a number of times but trying to figure out how to break into the scene is a little daunting. Not that I have the time between work, airsoft and other obligations. 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't fly an RC, orientation wise I'd get screwed! I can do RC car but sod up and down as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

Slightly off topic but RC related, I've looked at RC planes a number of times but trying to figure out how to break into the scene is a little daunting. Not that I have the time between work, airsoft and other obligations. 😂

 

I looked into this a few years back while looking into a present for my dad's birthday - ended up getting him a Bixler 2, was told they're incredible starter aircraft - and it was! Recommended if you're looking into it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@DrAlexanderTobacco - That's great! Thank you, I'll definitely have a looksie although I'll have to have a look at legislation as I'm sure there's plenty that applies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/11/2019 at 22:53, ImTriggerHappy said:

Decided to get my son his first RC car for xmas and found out it is an even murkier world than airsoft.

 

You should have just introduced him to your favourite Warhammer gaming and bought some figures, less nerdy, and no batteries required! ;)

 

Have to buy your own RC car so that you do not keep hogging his for "just one more go son".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

 

You should have just introduced him to your favourite Warhammer gaming and bought some figures, less nerdy, and no batteries required! ;)

 

Have to buy your own RC car so that you do not keep hogging his for "just one more go son".

 

The day my boy even so much as mentions warhammer I will drag him off for a DNA test.

 

Already looking at getting something as will be good father and son time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a few rc cars in my time

Most recent was a 1/5th scale Baja with a 35cc two stroke which went like hell 

really had to be careful with that , and ended up a group of us built a mini motocross track to allow us to properly unleash them

94089BDC-4FEC-439F-AC5C-A20957AC5815.jpeg.6c301025b69067322a3d1988926222f1.jpegAB41C67B-DAC2-43CD-AE6D-7988EBDC51CD.jpeg.cef5ed5341aec6fc9d510c85883e2346.jpeg

 

Also had a 1/18th scale crawler 

built that up as a mini of my 1/1 Defender 

 

CF4F7F77-A1FE-4A3C-A70F-7C0EF887697F.jpeg.8fac9b50464dd1be042d498b8caaf74b.jpeg

 

0DF067B6-F974-4110-BA10-A5B65B0B6CA8.jpeg.b7f4ec95ecc1bb51e0fe6e550bdc6879.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/11/2019 at 20:02, FreeFrag.UK said:

@DrAlexanderTobacco - That's great! Thank you, I'll definitely have a looksie although I'll have to have a look at legislation as I'm sure there's plenty that applies.

 

 

Rc planes-proper Rc planes not "drones" 

This is not meant to sound condescending at all. 

If you're in the Staffordshire area I'd be happy to teach you. You need to be taught how to fly them. 

You'd need to have your gear, bmfa insurance and arrange to meet up ect. 

Alternatively, or even better at the same time, go to your nearest Rc model shop and have a chat with them and get yourself a simulator and a transmitter. Crashing pixels is free but crashing real models is a ballache. 

Your local shop should be more than happy to put you in touch with the local club, who may have their own training scheme. 

 

It's quite a steep learning curve and mistakes are very expensive. 

If you spend a few hundred quid on all the gear I'd be amazed if, without learning to fly one, it made it off the ground for more than 5 seconds before being smashed to peices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...