Binoculars! Opinions are they useless or worth carrying?

Musica
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey all was wondering what people think about for carrying binoculars for outdoor games and perhaps some tips or recommendations from the experienced players on the subject.

I'm curious about this too, I've been thinking about picking up a pocket set myself for quite a while, maybe just 8x42 as anything with more magnification is likely to be pointless at most sites - plus they're not expensive!

But I've got crap distance vision so need all the help I can get! 😂

Had to carry a pair on a tournament, we had to recon objectives before assaulting them, so they proved to be useful. Nothing a good short dot or standard magnified optic couldn't do eh..

They may make sense on a milsim if you are defending or scouting a base.

But for your average skirmish? Nope, they are useless.

If it's for standard skirmish it won't do anything a 1-4X short dot can't. For larger milsim games maybe but I'd rather take a small monocular or something

Hmm I don't have a magnified optic. Only played 2 outdoor games so not much experience but I'd imagine holding the gun up to survey a lot of effort as compared to binoculars. Often I struggle to tell team affiliation but could shoot at them if I wanted.

• Supporters

I guess +1 to the above, I found them useful on the old Nomad site during their milsim events where multiple squads were moving around all over the sites.  On a regular skirmish day, anybody over that-a-way is a valid target.

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Musica said:

I'd imagine holding the gun up to survey a lot of effort as compared to binoculars. 

not really, it'd be no different to aiming anyway, with the added bonus that if you do identify them as a valid target then you're ready to fire.

of course this is assuming your rifle isn't covered in "tactical accessories" (read useless gunk hung off the front that never gets used)

Archived