The best laid plans

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Some of you may remember my reservations about taking up airsoft at the age of seventy.

With lots of encouragement from members on here I eventually went ahead and found it to be the most enjoyable of shooting sports I had ever experienced.

Fast forward to three weeks ago. I had sold every aigun related item I owned - even my metal gun cabinet - and acquired three nice aegs, two blowback pistols and lots of accesories like extra mags, optical sights, battle belt, etc

And then I fell very hard onto my side inthe middle of the road after losing my footing due to alarm caused by somebody using a car horn inappropriately. I had to be driven home by a kind passerby, and suffered reduced mobility and considerable pain for two weeks until my family insisted I go to hospital for an x-ray.

Iwas admitted immediately with a broken hip a week ago yesterday, given a full hip replacement and discharged yesterday aftenoon.

I have a six to eight week rehabilitation period in front of me now and must avoid lots of common movements. I will keep my guns whatever happens, but I do wonder with this new complication whether I will ever play airsoft again.

At 64 I sympathize and understand about surgery and the time it takes to recover, chin up you will get better.

The level of recovery from neck of femur fractures is actually very good. Don’t take it as a knock consider yourself like the 6 billion dollar man (or whatever it was) you now have titanium bones (at least in your hip)! 

Plink in the back garden, mess about with your loadout and hit the field when you are ready. Remember to play to your strengths/weaknesses and you’ll be calling hits with the best of them in no time!

Take preparations (e.g. have painkillers with you in) in case you have any aches or pains. I have known at least one individual over 70 who returned to running half marathons after a hip replacement so all is not yet lost.

see you on the field :)

• Moderators

Never say never, some young people just plod around the game sites you seem to have shown you do a lot more than they do :)

I’m sure you will miss it if you give up but will find ways to adapt. Maybe more sneaky than before  ;)

Hey if your walk becomes more of a lumbering gait you’d be the perfect zombie for those zombiesim type games 😁

Thanks a lot lads. I always get loads of encouragement and good advice from members on this excellent forum.

If i am able to get round the Mill at Wigan even at a slow walking pace I will be there.

I'll have to adapt my style of play to my reduced circumstances, but with time I might even change some of my weaknesses to advantages.

I've already noticed that some players younger and fitter than me reduce their own effectiveness due to fear of getting hit.

I have never had a problem taking my hits. I'm no masochist, but a little bit of pain is all part of the enjoyment.

, and helps us hone our skills.

• I will take comfort from the fact I am now part bionic man.😁

• Supporters

One of my best mates mobility is severely restricted due to deteriorating health but he still plays , he does spend the next 2-3days laid up with the pain but he still gets out ! 

“Game on !” is called and he will leisurely walk to the general direction of the battle find him self a nice hidie hole and wait for the targets to come to him , if the fighting moves across the site ? Then he just repositions him self nearer the fight and if it’s a ‘defend the flag’ type game then he stays there , plus if it’s a medic he always becomes a medic so when any team members need one you know there’s always one at the base .

AND on more than one occasion he’s won the battle for his team due to his ninja level sneaky abilities , the other team have declared the gamezone taken then he pops out and says “nope I’m still in play !” 🤣🤣🤣🤣

So don’t even think about knocking it on the head due to a piddling hip replacement !😉

Google a surfer called Laird Hamilton this guy has had both his done and just look at how he’s still living his life ! 👍

• Supporters

sorry to hear man, fingers crossed you get back on your feet soon.

fortunately in this game there's something for everyone and the majority of old folks i see are no less of a player due to lesser mobility, they just dander off, become one with the bushes and wait for some poor sod to dander by.

it's not even as if it's not providing a valuable team service if done right, especially in an objective based game where all the young bucks are rushing off to battle each other head on while one enterprising player has decided to sneak round on his own to the objective only to be pinged from the bushes, i should know because several times i've been the one getting pinged whilst performing an otherwise excellent flanking manoeuvre.

hell i recall one game where i got 5 kills in a row by literally just standing in 1 spot, people kept walking by not suspecting anything and the ones who knew where i was had incorrectly assumed i'd moved, and i've had games where i've been lying down literally begging to get hit after 30 minutes of being molested by wasps but the spot was so good nobody could get close enough.

Firstly - I wish you a swift recovery.
Whilst you're laid up, you can start planning for your return, taking into account a more limited range of mobility.
The key thing is your desire to play - which you seem to have in spades!
And if that's the case, that desire will overcome whatever hinderances are placed in your way.
If you think you'll be slower, try and build a load out that lends itself to a slower / longer range play style.
One of the cool things about airsoft seems to be that no matter how knackered you are ( I count myself in this category too!), there's always ways to keep playing.
GWS dude 😄 

12 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

If i am able to get round the Mill at Wigan even at a slow walking pace I will be there.

I'll have to adapt my style of play to my reduced circumstances, but with time I might even change some of my weaknesses to advantages.

Understanding your limitations and adapting accordingly will make you a better player than the majority of those on site.

There are kids who play airsoft with limitless energy who run after objectives, steam head-on into choke points etc. and that's great, we need them - but they don't win on their own. You also need tactically aware players like yourself with positional awareness, while the kids are off trying to win, it's just as important that the team has those stopping the team from losing too.

Wishing you a speedy recovery mate!

• Supporters
1 minute ago, callumbagshaw said:

There are kids who play airsoft with limitless energy who run after objectives, steam head-on into choke points etc. and that's great, we need them

of course we need them, who else am i gonna shoot? ;)

It's not the same but my dad is still golfing at 76 with two artificial hips. Take your time to recover do the exercise routine your doc gives you and take it easy when you get back to site. 

Archived