Lasers

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

What do I need to know?
Cos at the moment, I know nothing, other than they look cool in films and video games!
I'm contemplating getting a normal scope ( thanks @Davegolf!), but then am wondering about adding a laser to it.
Are you permitted to use lasers in airsoft?
I'm fairly sure I recall seeing them in use at Halo Mills, but then I'm also fairly sure they weren't permitted somewhere else.
Is there a general rule of thumb that they are/aren't allowed?
If you can have them, are there any restrictions?
Cos if I can have one, I think I'll get a nice rifle scope paired with a laser.
And if not, it'll be elcan copy city :D

• Head Moderator

Just because your laser can paint the target does not mean that your gun will hit it. Green lasers work better outside in daylight. 

Some sites will not allow lasers, others do not permit it.

If you do use a laser, regardless of its power, do not shine it in other players' faces.

2 minutes ago, Jedi_Master said:

Just because your laser can paint the target does not mean that your gun will hit it.

That's quite confusing - because surely a laser is no different to any other kind of sight in that regard?
If you're using any scope, just because your target is in the crosshairs doesn't mean you'll hit it.
Or do you mean that lasers are more unreliable? Have a higher degree of error?

Some places let you use red ones as long as it's only on for a few seconds and not in the face. Battle Lakes allow them for example.

Depends where you play though in terms of environment. Indoors urban may see it used but in woodland, nah. Like a scope it is zero'd so it's only accurate on that set distance. They're better on pistols, the range isn't so variable (generally) compared to a rifle of sorts.

Personally I think they're a more of a novelty and just another thing to feed batteries.

• Head Moderator
5 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

That's quite confusing - because surely a laser is no different to any other kind of sight in that regard?
If you're using any scope, just because your target is in the crosshairs doesn't mean you'll hit it.
Or do you mean that lasers are more unreliable? Have a higher degree of error?

Lasers have a long range, so even though the laser dot is on the target, they may be out of your range.

Also if your laser is not not zeroed with the sight then even if the laser is on the target your shots will be heading elsewhere. Some players expect that no matter where the laser is they will hit it.

As above its upto the sites discretion, youll have more chance of being allowed to use it if it is red though.

Lasers can be usefull tools, if you sight it in to whatever distance your desire, eg 20M for CQB then sure you can splash your target and know your going to hit.

Its also good for keeping peoples heads down or forcing players to move because gnerally hurty things follow the dot :P

A good quality PEQ15 is as good as anything, looks nice, comes with a torch / strobe too and a short pressure switch for activation. Look to Element / FMA / VFC, they all have differing merits.

Just remember that having a laser makes you a super obvious target ;) (at least it does outdoors in my experience - font memories of outshooting a guy all day at my local woodland site because he was using a red laser that made his position stand out like a christmas tree)

• Supporters

This thread is an interesting read: 

• Moderators

i have a red one fitted to the scope on my DMR, part of it, never use it as tbh but can make it out through the scope (lots of fiddling as it was off to one side...). The distances the DMR ranges the laser is just there to waste my batteries! :lol:...i tend to use it to annoy my brother if he is in front of me!

In urban games i have a FMA LA Peq with green laser and a red laser version, fitted occasionally, more for torch use, but again its hardly used as it gives me away, only used it occasionally when a room has been filled with smoke for the 'it looks cool 'look

Generally they are not permitted where i play, incase you aim it at someone looking down a scope, which can happen by accident, and tbh these are all made in china, you cant guarantee the rating.....might get cheap laser eye surgery!

Used it more in a work night game with tracers for fun really but my position was always given away!

best to check with the sites you play at and see what they say

long post of the day....should never be allowed to work at home! :lol::lol:

• Supporters

The reason a lot of sites ban green ones (and rightly so from a medical point of view) is that a green laser do not activate the cornial reflex or an involuntary blink like a red will AND to create a green you need to pump a lot more power through it to get the IR beam through the green crystal medium to produce the beam . Now on a good quality laser there’ll be an IR filter and a power regulator to negate this effect but as we all know the QC on Chinese knock offs is SO good that 90% of the time neither is present and once you have ‘involuntary eye surgery’ as the above put it kiss good by to that eyes sight for good . 

• Moderators

indeed, you could get a box of them and one would be as bright as a watch light the other could burn through the wall your hiding behind :lol::rolleyes:....to avoid any accidental flash of it if its ever mounted (tbh i use the Xcotech counter PEQ system so no space!), i always keep the 'cover' on it

Archived