Lightweight BBs?

AshOnSnow
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Trying to get my hands on some black BBs - .12, or even less. Any advice? Lightest I can find here are .20s and all those are white.

Did see some online, but personally I wouldn't touch JustBBGuns with a barge pole.

• Supporters

Try Bulldog, I have heard they are a good make, you can find sellers on eBay if you can't find them on any sites.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272263780463

If you require heavier, there are these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DEVIL-BLASTER-BOTTLE-AIRSOFT-BBSBLACK/dp/B008EC7IOW

Hope this helps.

TM 0.12gs are usually on eBay, I would imagine they'd be the best quality to buy - 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOKYO-MARUI-0-12g-Bottle-190406/dp/B00EY8HDYA

• Supporters
4 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

Trying to get my hands on some black BBs - .12, or even less.

Can I ask why?

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

Can I ask why?

I was going to ask if no one else was. I'm intrigued.

I weighed up using some 0.12s mixed in with other weights when I was using a TM Breacher, but never got around to it.

On 03/05/2017 at 10:08 AM, Lozart said:

Can I ask why?

On 03/05/2017 at 11:21 AM, Hangtight said:

I was going to ask if no one else was. I'm intrigued.

Using GBB pistols for some filming. Can replicate realistic magazine capacities and subsequent slide lock backs, but to save the hassle of editing out a little white dot flying across the scene in post, lightweight black BBs should travel fast enough, and be "invisible enough", to not need hours and hours of touching up (inb4 giggity).

• Supporters
31 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

Using GBB pistols for some filming. Can replicate realistic magazine capacities and subsequent slide lock backs, but to save the hassle of editing out a little white dot flying across the scene in post, lightweight black BBs should travel fast enough, and be "invisible enough", to not need hours and hours of touching up (inb4 giggity).

is Dry Firing of little use as it is pretend pretend peew peew ???

2 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

Were you aware of shell ejecting airsoft pistols? I believe they can cycle with no BBs in them,

• Supporters

If you don't mind pausing the action or just filming the right side of the guns so the actors can choose when to hold the slide lock levers out of the way, there are other options.

TM GBB pistols come with little plastic follower depressors that let you dry fire for as long as you've got gas without the slide locking rearwards.  Or as I say just film the right side of the gun when you want the shooter to go to slide lock, they can hold the lever down with their thumb for a couple of shots then let go when desired and the slide will be held back.

3 hours ago, Sitting Duck said:

is Dry Firing of little use as it is pretend pretend peew peew ???

1 hour ago, Sacarathe said:

Were you aware of shell ejecting airsoft pistols? I believe they can cycle with no BBs in them,

47 minutes ago, CKinnerley said:

If you don't mind pausing the action or just filming the right side of the guns so the actors can choose when to hold the slide lock levers out of the way, there are other options.

TM GBB pistols come with little plastic follower depressors that let you dry fire for as long as you've got gas without the slide locking rearwards.  Or as I say just film the right side of the gun when you want the shooter to go to slide lock, they can hold the lever down with their thumb for a couple of shots then let go when desired and the slide will be held back.

A few issues with these suggestions is that there are going to be lots of continuous scenes that are already storyboarded out. Plus, I'm not directing, so suggesting that every few seconds everyone stops for a moment wouldn't reflect well. We want realistic magazine capacities. As for holding down the lever, that might present an insurance problem if the actor injures themselves intentionally holding a slide release lever while the blowback action is cycling, not to mention getting sued by the actor if they lose a thumbnail because they were instructed to intentionally mishandle an imitation firearm.

Didn't know about the shell ejecting ones except for revolvers and shotguns. This calls for Glock 17s and P226s. If there are shell ejecting versions of those, that's definitely an interesting avenue to explore. Would ease some of the workload off post too. We looked into Plug Fire Cap guns, but the charges cause an unnatural discharge of sparks out the front of the barrel that looks unrealistic.

On that note though, it would mean buying all new props at close to £1000 which will eat into the budget.

7 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

As for holding down the lever, that might present an insurance problem if the actor injures themselves intentionally holding a slide release lever while the blowback action is cycling, not to mention getting sued by the actor if they lose a thumbnail because they were instructed to intentionally mishandle an imitation firearm

Use a plastic gun, I did injure myself on a metal G18, but my TMG17 wouldn't hurt a fly. As for holding the lever, I think the point there is that they would push it up when they wanted to the slide to lock - unless they're dumping the whole magazine in one cut this would be all but invisible.

Initiation firearms is is not what something is. A plank of wood cut to the right shape can be an imitation firearm.

You could cap the barrels with something which does not create a seal - so all the BBs get stuck in the barrel. Beforehand just drill 3 holes through all the BBs to improve down barrel airflow - assuming cuts in the scenes allowed swapping out the guns.

But dry firing tools and pressing the slide locks up when needed is probably best - if your actors can't count to numbers under 30 they got bigger problems.

• Mostly Retired Moderators

Plus, you'll be editing in a muzzle flash presumably?

The muzzle flash effect would cover over the BB surely?

Also, I don't know why you want realistic magazine capacity.. cuts and reshoot would mean that you've got actors reloading between takes anyway?

Or couldn't you, I dunno... Use blank firing pistols?

Or... Is it because you've told your boss that you can use the airsoft guns that you use in your cool hobby and you're hoping you'll inherit them after filming has finished?

On 5/5/2017 at 7:02 PM, L3wisD said:

Plus, you'll be editing in a muzzle flash presumably?

The muzzle flash effect would cover over the BB surely?

Also, I don't know why you want realistic magazine capacity.. cuts and reshoot would mean that you've got actors reloading between takes anyway?

Or couldn't you, I dunno... Use blank firing pistols?

Or... Is it because you've told your boss that you can use the airsoft guns that you use in your cool hobby and you're hoping you'll inherit them after filming has finished?

While I wish this was the case (I could be loaded!) It's more that we've storyboarded everything the then got the insurance covered for that, and you know how they are - one thing goes wrong and all of a sudden, one little excess pops up from nowhere.

The initial muzzle flash will be edited in, but it's the fast after effect that matters here.

As for wearing eye protection, that's been ruled out and confirmed by the insurance, since as far as the shots are concerned (both camera and actor), it'll be shootable without any direct aim.

It's not a massive blockbuster, I am not in charge of anything major, I just want to have some ideas towards some insignificant ammo for an option.

https://www.bbguns4less.co.uk/products/bulldog-impact-bb-pellets-2000-x-0-12g-speed-loader-in-black.html 

They may be one of the companies we usually avoid but in this case I doubt you will have much choice apart from amazon/eBay as I've yet to see anyone use anything lower than .20 in actual airsoft games. 

I would be concerned by any insurance that allows risk to what would be a very expensive claim (lost eye /teeth) and yet wouldn't like some one to pinch their finger. I think I would make sure they understand what exactly you guys are planning to use as they may not have realised you are using them loaded at which point you /your friends will be in deep sh*t when they refuse the payout 

Archived