I screwed up and bought a Double Eagle L96 as my first airsoft gun :/

hawkite
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I'm a young very new airsoft player and I was caught in the 'BB' gun trap. Basically having lots of false advertising thrown in my face to make the £140 DE L96 seem like it was a god. I haven't found problems with it(never played with it) but I am constantly being told I f***ed up. I am deciding whether to buy a TM MK23 or a http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-m4-m15-m16-variants/combat-machine-cm16-raider---black.htm#.WEh8_fCLSUk . I want to get the pistol because then I can still run and try and be a sniper, I would have trouble convincing my parents to let me buy (with my own money) another airsoft primary weapon. Do you think the DE L96 is actually that bad?

• Supporters

Its not that its... bad... It that any airsoft sniper will not be competitive without a lot of modification. Someone like yourself (aka no able to put forth many hundred quid in upgrades) will have a hard time with it. Now the TM mk23 is bloody fantastic.

• Root Admin

As far as sniper rifles go: You could have done worse. The Double Eagle L96 is based on/cloned from the APS Type 96 design, which is basically the second most used and supported bolt action configuration/specification next to the TM VSR.

So basically what I'm saying is your L96 is highly upgradable and there's plenty out there on making it perform a bit better (such as the 'TDC' mod, homemade barrel spacers, barrel polishing and piston dampening). If you're motivated enough then you can get good consistency out of your gun with just a handful of cheap parts, or you could double-down and start with the semi-expensive upgrades like a 90 degree trigger and piston.

Ultimately though the issue is that sniping in airsoft can require a significant amount of money to get right and skirmishing with it will be hard when you're up against AEGs that can shoot just as far as you. It's for that reason that BASRs are rarely recommended as a good 'starter gun'.

All airsoft sniper rifles are basically meh out of the box. What you need to decide now is if sniping is even for you (which is far easier if you have an AEG to fall back on). There's a slim chance you'll do ok even with your current stock L96, but there's a good chance you won't. Just don't be deterred from airsoft if you have a bad time - just put that money into an entry-level AEG if it's crap.

Its not that its... bad... It that any airsoft sniper will not be competitive without a lot of modification. Someone like yourself (aka no able to put forth many hundred quid in upgrades) will have a hard time with it. Now the TM mk23 is bloody fantastic.

Probably going with the ASG version tbh cause I can't just shell out £150 on a TM one :(

I am giving up with sites haha, one person tells me patrolbase is amazing and then you say I should forget it. Gonna trust you as you have replied with awesome answers on some of my other topics but I am trying to find a decent starter skirmish AEG for my uncle who is also gonna play with me and I don't want to buy him something crap :/

• Root Admin

Probably going with the ASG version tbh cause I can't just shell out £150 on a TM one :(

Don't bother then.

Sp00n posted an excellent link to a G&G AEG though, and that's a great option for you to fall back on. Sidearms are ineffective and mostly snow pieces (even for snipers).

Edit:

I am giving up with sites haha, one person tells me patrolbase is amazing and then you say I should forget it. Gonna trust you as you have replied with awesome answers on some of my other topics but I am trying to find a decent starter skirmish AEG for my uncle who is also gonna play with me and I don't want to buy him something crap :/

Lots of sites are different for different things. Plenty of sales on right now so shop around a lot. If you're on a tight budget then 30 minutes of searching can make a real difference.

These will help:

http://www.airsoftsearch.eu/eu/

http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/forum/10-places-to-buy/

Okay so with that G&G one, I would like it to still have the same amount of customisation as the one from patrol base. Can I ask what the problem is with patrol base cause I was thinking of getting some other stuff from there so any review of the site would be really helpful :)

• Supporters

To put it simply cost. I mean yeah you won't have the ris rail space, but if I am honest, the only things I have on my rails are a vertical foregrip ... and rail covers. Other then that it's the same gun underneath

And that £30 saving should get you a battery and charger

Plus you get free two toning and a free skirmish voucher

Have a look on You Tube for a sniper called Kicking Mustang.

He is a briliant airsoft sniper (im sure there are lots of others but Ive Seen him in action).

Forget what primary he uses, might be a VSR10 but he definitely uses a Mk23 and has scored quite a few kills with it.

Worth searching out if you are interested in the back-up pistol.

• Supporters

I suggest you to sell it and buy an AEG.

Good snipers like kicking mustang have many years of experience and highly upgraded sniper rifles. Your game experience will be vastly inferior to those videos.

+1 on the TM MK23

Suggest selling your sniper and getting an AEG instead. If you're within 14 days of your purchase, you may be able to return it by law.

Archived