3d CAD

sp00n

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Anyone else into cad??

just having my first go with modern cad software (previously used auto cad 14.1) ... well having a play on www.tinkercad.com to be honest, as there is a few bits and bobs that i want to design etc ....

so far i have designed buttons ... lots of buttons and earrings!!! when will the tutorial "lessons" end! lol :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

• Supporters

I love messing around with CAD. My school has a few printers as well, and they let any of us who take HL DT do pretty much whatever we want in the workshop. I use PRODESKTOP and Solidworks; Solidworks is much more advanced.

• Supporters

For one thing, Holster Ops (company that makes holsters for Safariland) uses it, and I can see other companies using it as well

• Supporters

I would never be able to pay for solidworks and I have heard that when someone gets it "free" they can and will trace it and knock on the door with the invoice.

I have tried the free and low budget CADs, and found the PTC Creo Elements to be exceptionally great. It's free and once you learn it, you can do everything a hobbyist needs. There are a lot of tutorial vids on their page and every tool has a help that's also good. For me it had a steep learning curve.

• Supporters

I have a "educational edition" of Solidworks, but it's basically the same thing. It was something my school had a few copies of, and I was lucky enough to grab one

There's nothing wrong with Google sketchup, it can be a pain to get your model exported but it's the easiest cad program to pick up and use as a beginner

I'm actually trying to get a copy of solidworks at the moment, my dad has tasked me to build a pc and install solid works, I'm doing everything I can to find him a way to not pay more than 3 times the cost of the computer for the software.

• Supporters

I'm actually trying to get a copy of solidworks at the moment, my dad has tasked me to build a pc and install solid works, I'm doing everything I can to find him a way to not pay more than 3 times the cost of the computer for the software.

You will end end paying ten times more when you get caught using it.

• Supporters

I don't understand.

You have to have a license for solidworks.

Its designed for business and manufacturing every copy or the software has a unique user/reference code. You either buy it full price or get an illegal cracked version. If you get a cracked version and you get caught Solidworks will sue you.

Its designed for business and manufacturing every copy or the software has a unique user/reference code. You either buy it full price or get an illegal cracked version. If you get a cracked version and you get caught Solidworks will sue you.

This is true of almost all software, one license per user, in many cases it's per computer. In our house we have bought office and windows for each computer, its quite a nuisance but if it was not that way we would not be able to enjoy such amazingly effective products as the creators could not raise enough profit to cover R&D and then things would not get made.

You will end end paying ten times more when you get caught using it.

I still don't understand though what the point you're trying to make is with regards to me being caught. If I buy it then I have done nothing wrong, if I have done nothing wrong, then if I am caught with it I just show them my proof of purchase (as with all my other software).

Have you confused me with someone else you know to have acquired a copy of this software without paying for it? I have not yet got a copy as I am waiting for skylake (intel).

• Supporters

You still have to get caught first...

• Supporters

You still have to get caught first...

True but a lot of people do with solidworks. Not sure whether its an online element that flags up or what but people seem to get caught quite a bit. Not worth the risk when there are plenty of cheap or free cad programs that do what most people would need.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

woooohooooo my bits have finally arrived :D:D:D

ADD1DB9C-3316-42B4-80CE-93C9DE18684A_zps

so the COD ghosts camera mount works well, alittle tight on RIS but thats a good thin in my view :D:lol:

C8AEE97D-D40F-4F92-B053-A89CCD6E5F65_zps

F5A07778-DC9C-4AD1-A9CB-B60BFD581CD0_zps

unfortunately the primer carrier didn't go so well, it seams that shapeways prints in white, then dyes black ... and most of the holes closed up :( still not bad for a prototype in my view B)

5DA3305E-D13F-45AE-B3C7-EE3430B70F8D_zps

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.