Not Law perse, but rules. Definition question: Offensive Weapons?

Sacarathe

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Before getting into airsoft I checked whether I could store them in my current accommodation, Nerf guns were allowed last year so I checked the details and concluded that it would be okay. Whatever people reply is not going to change my mind, it's not like they will ever be uncovered anywhere other than MY room and skirmishes but I do wonder if you guys agree with my interpretation of the agreement I have signed:

Section 17 Firearms
Firearms, offensive weapons, air pistols are not permitted in University buildings or grounds.

I am confident to argue that airsoft RIFs are not firearms or air pistols, but not so sure about offensive weapons.

In my opinion an offensive weapon is highly subjective, a table leg is an offensive weapon, a kitchen knife is an offensive weapon, it's not the object but the user, however this is offensive weapons under their firearms category.

If I ignore what they have wrote and examine the definition of "realisic imitation firearm (under 1J)" by the home office definition: because the home office classifies them as RIFs they are by the government's definition not firearms and thus not applicable to this rule in the contract I have signed - which would I believe arguably at least protects me for as long as it would take the UNI to redraft their rules and get everyone to re-sign.

I only ask because they are allowed to enter our rooms when we are out as long as they give us notice (I currently do not possess a RIF, so I have not actually risked breaking this rule at this time).

I was speaking to someone who kept airsoft guns in his uni digs, and one day when he was out, another student broke in and started shooting people out the window.

After the ARU turned up, they did a runner and were never caught, but the owner lost all the guns and spent the night in a cell.

Not worth it in my opinion, unless you have a way of keeping them properly locked away, like a vault or a safe

Not worth it in my opinion, unless you have a way of keeping them properly locked away, like a vault or a safe

Thanks for sharing, I'll get trigger locks just in case. However I'm living in the over 25s building so not likely to run into any morons.

Would it be possible for you to store the at the Uni? Maybe ask a teacher/lecturer if they have a secure storage room to leave things in? Explain what it is you do, be open about it! everything else you can keep in your dorm room but maybe if you invest in a lockable case they'd hold on to it in the week.

As far as I know any airgun, including an airsoft one is a firearm. Its classed as a realistic imitation firearm in the law, that is its technical name. If you are caught using a airsoft gun in a crime and you are doing it armed despite its lack of offensive. So I think its banned from our site entirely.

He's saying don't trust the others around you just because they're older than the person TheGrover mentioned. ;)

Each and every person can be an idjit given the right circumstances.

Check with your halls/uni.

Anything else is just an assumption, but we need to highlight that not all RIFs are owned and stored by dip-shits. It always confuses me how the fencers keep rapiers, archers keep longbows, paintballers keep markers in halls, but we can't keep our toys there.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.