The GBBR Thread

Airsoft-Ed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yup, but only really to those you are shooting at. My G5 tends to overpower any noise coming from the barrel with its bolt going back and forth lol :D (earplugs needed lol)

yup, but only really to those you are shooting at. My G5 tends to overpower any noise coming from the barrel with its bolt going back and forth lol :D (earplugs needed lol)

Earplugs? Really? is it a Gen 1 that doesnt have the rubber to absorb the shock of the bolt return?

nope gen 2, was firing it at 400 fps for a bit as a DMR, ears were ringing after! :D

I didnt find mine too loud at all, sure it was cold and running on abbey predator at the time, but i cant imagine it getting that bad... the couple of newbies that i snuck up on shat themselves anyway, imagine their panic if i was firing something i needed earplugs for!

Only just found these!

http://www.evike.com/products/44129/

http://www.evike.com/products/44011/

Damn!!! Another fire in my pocket!!!!

It's not actually very hard to turn a GHK metal m4 mag into a Pmag.

It's all contained within an exterior cosmetic shell so you just remove it, gut a pmag and slide it back over the internal parts.

I'm not sure on the construction of a WE magazine though.

Personal update:

Just got back from my second skirmish with my G5. Result: Massive improvement over my first skirmish, still a way to go though.

the crap accuracy was solved by cleaning the crap out of the barrel, but the hop was still unable to lift 0.25g BBs to anything close to a flat trajectory. it ran on propane today, in temperatures that barely got over 4 degrees and was kicking well, even if it did sound a little strange, im actually worried that in normal temperatures, it may be running too hot for site.

Another interesting development (not GBB related) occurred at the end of the day, as i started shooting through all my mags, to get rid of the BBs (getting them out of a GHK mag by hand is a pain) and most of the gas. i noticed that a couple of shots hadnt left the gun. upon investigation, i found that a couple of BBs had got stuck in the flash hider and were now obstructing the end of the inner barrel... perhaps i should replace the flash hider with something a little less... empty

since getting home, when cleaning up and re-gassing the mags with maintenance gas, i opened up the gun and replaced the stock hop rubber and nub with a Madbull 60 degree blue rubber and element H nub. this combination worked wonders in my ICS L85 so im hoping for more of the same. the Element nub is also a little bigger than a standard cylindrical nub, so should give the gun a little extra hop to get those BBs flying straight.

Hopefully tomorrow i can try out the new hop, though my house is surrounded and theres not really anywhere i can shoot more than 5 metres without the public seeing me, so perhaps i should take it to my local shop's range.

More to come soon

• Supporters

Never seen beebs get stuck in a muzzle device, is it the stock one you've got on? I don't know off the top of my head what they look like on the G5 but the opening in the end must be really tiny (and presumably slightly mis-aligned) for shots to be hitting it and getting caught? Sounds like you'll want something more open at the end, any sort of flash hider style really like a standard bird cage or a 3 or 4 prong, the PTS BattleComp line is also good for that (or any PTS muzzle device really if you want high quality).

Never seen beebs get stuck in a muzzle device, is it the stock one you've got on? I don't know off the top of my head what they look like on the G5 but the opening in the end must be really tiny (and presumably slightly mis-aligned) for shots to be hitting it and getting caught? Sounds like you'll want something more open at the end, any sort of flash hider style really like a standard bird cage or a 3 or 4 prong, the PTS BattleComp line is also good for that (or any PTS muzzle device really if you want high quality).

AC-UPE-G5-FLASH-1.jpg

Yes, its the stock one. the inner barrel ends just before the slits and the inside is evidently wide enough for two BBs to stack sideways. if you somehow manage to get them lodged there in the first place... perhaps it was somehow firing two bbs at once, ive noticed that sometimes the bolt lock can trip on even when theres one BB left in the chamber (and other times it wont lock back at all, depends on which mag i'm using), so perhaps it fired two at once and they jammed each other in the flash hider.

thinking about it, i should check my chamber every time i load a fresh mag

Just remember not to over fill the mags with gas or BBs and to not cock then bolt release when there already is a BB in the chamber. Hopefully the new hop set up will fix any issues. I had similar when new with BBs shattering in the barrel and the bits getting stuck in the flash hider, all fixed by the correct amount of gas in the mag and re-seating the hop bucking which was assembled badly from new.

Just remember not to over fill the mags with gas or BBs and to not cock then bolt release when there already is a BB in the chamber. Hopefully the new hop set up will fix any issues. I had similar when new with BBs shattering in the barrel and the bits getting stuck in the flash hider, all fixed by the correct amount of gas in the mag and re-seating the hop bucking which was assembled badly from new.

i still cant fill the mags properly, the spring is too hard. and i had cocked the bolt as the bolt lock had engaged, though im now aware that there are a couple of issues with it (i think its the mag not the gun)

just bought a different flash hider that shouldnt let any shattered bits get stuck in it, but the original hop bucking was seated really well.

Leave the mags with 20 BBs in for 5 days, should soften the spring a bit. They are very awkward to load tho even when the spring softens. Once you get the hang it gets easier with practice

I got my WE SCAR a couple of weeks back and only got the change to give it a quick blast yesterday, but I had a horrendous time trying to load BB's in all three of my mags, all brand new. I ended up having to load BB's one at a time. Then once I had them loaded they wouldn't feed. Couldn't fire a single BB. The gun fires, no gas issues, it just seems the lips are too hard to allow the BB's to feed. Can anyone give me tips on how to load and what I should be doing to allow the BB's to feed. I've seen in a few other posts above that it is an issue with these guns, and I've looked on youtube for some help, but so far I'm out of ideas.

As far as I'm aware the WE SCAR takes the same M4/STANAG type mags as their M4 and HK416 series weapons. The mags can be tricky to load if you've never done any kind of airsofting before, I should know, my first rifle was a WE 416 and after my first few goes spilling BBs every where I asked a guy at a site I was at for some tips!

The WE mags normally come with a loader that takes just over 15 BBs, fit it to the mag, drop your BBs in to the loader, fit the collar to the loader and push down, you may need a bit of force, but they all go straight in. The loader is marked on the side at the 15 round point, so you can fill a mag in two goes.

Then I started using the dummy pistol mag type speed loader, I had to get my thumb and forefinger to pinch the nozzle of the speed loader and hold it in place so that the BBs would fit in, a little tricky, but I got there!

I know use a KIng Arms dummy M4 mag sped loader, that comes with a flip over adapter which i just hold in place with my thumb and it loads fine.

As for the BBs not feeding, that has only happened to me when I had a summer strength recoil spring in the winter, the gun actions fine, but it wasn't going quite far enough back to take a BB on the run forward, I swapped back to the stock spring and it worked fine.

You don't say if the gun is new or not? , if second hand it may have some issues, but GBBs are pretty basic once you understand how they function,

hope this helps?

On my g5 I fully load the mag then remove the last bb. If your mag spring is too tight then it could be locking the bb in the feed lip. Try leaving 20 rounds loaded for a few days. If it is the feed lips themselves that is the problem am not sure

My AKS74U came with a speedloader attachment which makes loading easier (once I'd practised a fair bit and the springs had bedded in) but unless held a certain way the adapter had a habit of detaching from the speed loader so I've glued it on now. Best GBB mag for loading that I've seen is the CO2 powered KWC Mini Uzi which is a double stack design and the mag follower can be pulled down and bbs poured in from the top by hand (like many pistol mags) as the feed lips are quite far apart,yet it feeds flawlessly.

Thanks for the feedback guys. The guns brand new as are the three mags. I thought the mags would load the same as gas pistol mags with a spring you pull down, but that's obviously not the case. I tried using the loader that came with the gun, filled it up with only 10 BB's, connected it the the mag and tried to feed them, but no matter how hard I pushed I couldn't force the BB's through the lips. I tried from an angle with my speed loader, but again couldn't get them to load, so resorted to feeding one at a time from about a 45 degree angle. It seems that the lips are too hard and so won't allow the BB's to feed in and then won't allow them to feed out again once the mag is in the gun. As I say, the gun's firing fine, just no BB's coming out the Barrel. Will the lips soften with use, or is there something I'm doing wrong? I've not had this issue with any of my other guns, but this is the first gas rifle I've had.

Could be a few things: tight spring holding the things in too well, too much lubricant (or possibly the lack of it) preventing feeding, or making things too slippy to allow feeding, the mag lips being to tight, sh*t BBs (I think we can probably discount that one). Check to make sure there is no raised bit of molding on the feed lip of the mag (if there is, a needle file can sort that out, but be careful and make sure it is the issue before going at it with a file, because you can't put material back lol), have a good look to make sure everything looks like it should work/is aligned properly, it's unlikely to be the case, but not impossible, if the barrel is not lined up or in the gearbox/hop properly, that could cause it not to fire a BB but still to cycle okay.

Can you manually feed a BB into the gun to see if it is actually firing them? Check to ensure there's not one jammed in there, or some other obstruction in the barrel or chamber. New guns quite often have a fair bit of crap on the inside of the barrel as a result of the manufacturing process, so put that cleaning/unjamming to use, you might be surprised how much shite comes out of your 'new' gun, and any appreciable quantity of lubricant which has run down the inside of the barrel could possibly prevent a BB going through. Sometimes that crappy polystyrene the rifle comes packed in can bung things up, it was all over the internals of my SRC AK74U when that arrived because the upper receiver was open in transit, I had to strip it to get all the bits of polystyrene out of the thing, there's really not much clearance between the barrel inside radius and the BB, so even something small can stop stuff going through it..

I've got 12 WE M4/STANAG mags and have never had any of the issues you describe? I'm guessing you have the same problem with all three mags? One might have some minor manufacturing defect affecting the lips, but three? I think you need someone who is familiar with WE GBB mags to have a quick look, Ed is our resident GBB guru, maybe he has another idea?

Good point from Chock, check the bore and barrel are clear and load a bb in to the chamber, fit a mag with only gas in it and see what happens?

Archived