SCAR Choices

Adam3088

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Thinking about getting a SCAR, most likely a SCAR-L due to mag + pouch compatibility.

So the three manufacturers which stand out most for me are G&G, VFC and WE. I know TM are the fans favourite because they're made of magical cocaine or some crap but I don't want to spend the best part of £500 on an AEG.

I'm wondering what the general consensus is for the external and internal build quality of the three.

From what I've heard VFC are the nicest externally but the internals are pretty wank.

G&G will have solid internals, not sure how the externals measure up against the others though.

WE I have no idea about quality, but in terms of price they sure do make it tempting. Also just found out the WE SCAR-H SSR works with regular stanag mags, even more tempting.

Do they generally use standard parts for the internals? I presume they're all V2's.

• Supporters

The WE scar H can take stanag mags but it'd look ridiculous. Think about a mouse entering a lion :lol:

Jcheesewright, one of the guys on here has an H and says it can take stamags, something to do with a different hop up and magwell design or something.

Echigoya is relatively cheap, but after tax it works out at ~£420, with the other fees customs and couriers wack on top I'd not be surprised if it ended up at ~£450.

Not to mention if there's something wrong with it I'm not going to be sending it back to Japan.

Oh and proprietary mags.

But anywho, what's opinions on those 3 versions of the SCAR?

• Supporters

I have the g&g SCAR-L cqc. Most of the reviews that slag the internals are Americans trying to get 400 fps from them. Trigger response is a little slow but nothing you can't fix with a mosfet and a Lipo. Vfc arguably have better externals but are more expensive and (i believe) out of production.

I have the g&g SCAR-L cqc. Most of the reviews that slag the internals are Americans trying to get 400 fps from them. Trigger response is a little slow but nothing you can't fix with a mosfet and a Lipo. Vfc arguably have better externals but are more expensive and (i believe) out of production.

That's a shame, guess it's a two horse race then.

G&G always seems like a solid option, wondering how WE are in comparison though. Especially on the externals.

• Supporters

If the WE colours are the same as the gbbr then I'd go g&g, even if just from an aesthetic point of view. The g&g will almost certainly be the better performer too, and likely to have a better warranty.

• Supporters

That's a shame, guess it's a two horse race then.

G&G always seems like a solid option, wondering how WE are in comparison though. Especially on the externals.

I'd happily recommend the g&g.

I have the G&G too.

One of my favourite rifles and Ive added lots of furniture to it to make it look better.

There are a few threads on this rifle from previous similar discussions. Have a browse.

If the WE colours are the same as the gbbr then I'd go g&g, even if just from an aesthetic point of view. The g&g will almost certainly be the better performer too, and likely to have a better warranty.

Noticed the colouring on SCAR tan uppers can be a bit funky, I'd only go for a black gun though.

Colours aside what's the actual external quality like on the WE gbbr? Not had a chance to see one irl.

• Supporters

A mate of mine has a WE SCAR AEG, the gun is fully metal and has solid internals though the motor used is a bit pants.

Really easy to strip in order to get to the gearbox.

Its a decent AEG and i can't really fault it.

Depends on what floats your battleship. If you want a wide range of magazine choices, go for the Scar-L. I had a G&G Scar-L and currently have a VFC Scar-L and a VFC Scar-H. The G&G and VFC Scar-L took the same magazines no feeding issues. I used P-Mags, STANAG magazines and E-Mags in both G&G and VFC Scar-L's no issues. VFC has considerably nicer externals (in my opinion). The bolt on the G&G sounded like pinging a tin when releasing the bolt. Rather pathetic and toy sounding. The upper receiver in FDE is also wank to be honest. More glossy than matt.

Now, if you want to look meaner, the Scar-H is your Arnold Schwarzenegger airsoft equivalent. If you don't mind a 7.62 load out (less commonly seen which is always nice to be different) then go for it. I don't think G&G do the Scar-H. Only VFC, D-Boys and Tokyo Marui do as far as I'm aware.

D-Boys is intermediate junk for beginners. Internals are made from paper cutouts and the exterior is plastic and pot metal, yuck. Tokyo Marui are obviously the best, but for a price little want to spend. So VFC would be your best option. Not forgetting you can slap on an SSR rail kit and a longer barrel and bish bash bosh, you have a pretty sweet looking VFC Scar-H SSR.

It's really down to you. It's between the G&G Scar-L or the VFC Scar-H.

The Scar-L will;

- be easy to obtain a wide range of common 5.56 magazines.

- accepts standard M4/ M16 hop up chambers (madbull ultimate, metal hops etc...)

and that's really it.

The Scar-H will

- look much meaner

- easily made into a DMR which actually looks like a DMR (not some 5.56 with a rifle scope disaster)

- bit more unique

- stands out from the typical 5.56 guns (M4's/ M16's and obviously the Scar-L etc...)

However it's not all sunshine and rainbows. The VFC Scar-H has a unique hop up and unfortunately there aren't any metal replacements in the market (yet). Not forgetting you'll have to adapt your load out to accept 7.62 magazines however you can pick up a 7.62 double fast magazine pouch for under £10. The VFC Scar-H takes D-Boys magazines no problem so you don't need to pay £20+ a magazine luckily.

Hope it helps and if you're after the Scar-H I have one up for sale. I can also give you a dark earth 7.62 double fast magazine pouch free as it's the only 7.62 gun I have.

A mate of mine has a WE SCAR AEG, the gun is fully metal and has solid internals though the motor used is a bit pants.

Really easy to strip in order to get to the gearbox.

Its a decent AEG and i can't really fault it.

I don't suppose you've had a chance to compare it with the G&G? I've not managed to find any info which directly compares the two.

G&G would cost me about £70 more then the WE, trying to work out if I'd really get much more for that money.

Depends on what floats your battleship. If you want a wide range of magazine choices, go for the Scar-L. I had a G&G Scar-L and currently have a VFC Scar-L and a VFC Scar-H. The G&G and VFC Scar-L took the same magazines no feeding issues. I used P-Mags, STANAG magazines and E-Mags in both G&G and VFC Scar-L's no issues. VFC has considerably nicer externals (in my opinion). The bolt on the G&G sounded like pinging a tin when releasing the bolt. Rather pathetic and toy sounding. The upper receiver in FDE is also wank to be honest. More glossy than matt.

Now, if you want to look meaner, the Scar-H is your Arnold Schwarzenegger airsoft equivalent. If you don't mind a 7.62 load out (less commonly seen which is always nice to be different) then go for it. I don't think G&G do the Scar-H. Only VFC, D-Boys and Tokyo Marui do as far as I'm aware.

D-Boys is intermediate junk for beginners. Internals are made from paper cutouts and the exterior is plastic and pot metal, yuck. Tokyo Marui are obviously the best, but for a price little want to spend. So VFC would be your best option. Not forgetting you can slap on an SSR rail kit and a longer barrel and bish bash bosh, you have a pretty sweet looking VFC Scar-H SSR.

It's really down to you. It's between the G&G Scar-L or the VFC Scar-H.

The Scar-L will;

- be easy to obtain a wide range of common 5.56 magazines.

- accepts standard M4/ M16 hop up chambers (madbull ultimate, metal hops etc...)

and that's really it.

The Scar-H will

- look much meaner

- easily made into a DMR which actually looks like a DMR (not some 5.56 with a rifle scope disaster)

- bit more unique

- stands out from the typical 5.56 guns (M4's/ M16's and obviously the Scar-L etc...)

However it's not all sunshine and rainbows. The VFC Scar-H has a unique hop up and unfortunately there aren't any metal replacements in the market (yet). Not forgetting you'll have to adapt your load out to accept 7.62 magazines however you can pick up a 7.62 double fast magazine pouch for under £10. The VFC Scar-H takes D-Boys magazines no problem so you don't need to pay £20+ a magazine luckily.

Hope it helps and if you're after the Scar-H I have one up for sale. I can also give you a dark earth 7.62 double fast magazine pouch free as it's the only 7.62 gun I have.

I'd really like a VFC SCAR-L, but by the looks of it they have been discontinued, cant find one for sale new anywhere.

7.62 variants look awesome, prefer them over the L. But don't fancy having to either buy a new vest or swap over the pouches every time I want to switch.

I don't suppose you've had a chance to compare it with the G&G? I've not managed to find any info which directly compares the two.

G&G would cost me about £70 more then the WE, trying to work out if I'd really get much more for that money.

I'd really like a VFC SCAR-L, but by the looks of it they have been discontinued, cant find one for sale new anywhere.

7.62 variants look awesome, prefer them over the L. But don't fancy having to either buy a new vest or swap over the pouches every time I want to switch.

Which is why I offered you the one I am selling. Again, I have a 7.62 double magazine fast pouch I an give you for free as I don't use 7.62 any more. Yes the VFC Scar-H has been discontinued I believe so having one will be a nice head turner.

I simply put the 7.62 pouch on a drop leg molle platform meaning I didn't need to take off 5.56 pouches to use the 7.62 pouch. Even simply placing it on the side of your vest or on the back is a good place to have 5.56 pouches as well as 7.62. The fast pouch is double stacked meaning it takes up little to no space.

• Supporters

Hi

I haven't had the chance to compare the two.

My mate had this one but in black: http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/aeg/we/we-scar-l-aeg-tan.html#.VKc_WCusWuQ

Which he bought from here: www.Airsoftarmoury.co.uk in person

All i can say was that the WE SCAR my mate had was of pretty good quality with full metal upper receiver, ABS plastic lower receiver and ABS plastic stock.

The upper is of a very high quality build with very solid feel to it, it hasn't got trades, has a cocking handle which when locked back reveals the hop up adjustment, it has RIS rails on the sides and a monolithic one on top, if i recall the rails were made of solid metal.

The lower was made of a high quality and feel ABS plastic which in my experience feels similar to G&G ABS plastic (all my AEGs are from G&G) and the selector lever has a positive click when rotated thanks to a spring loaded BB hidden inside it (similar to most weapons).

The stock is made from the same ABS plastic and swings round to the right of the weapon (round ejection side), the slide is extendible and also has a general solid feel to it.

Batteries go in the folding stock by removing the butt plate with plenty of space inside for large-ish batteries, connection is via mini Tamiya.

The Barrel is NOT a tightbore (and i can't remember the lenght) but it is a brass barrel if i recall, hop up unit is made of plastic and has a black no name brand hop up rubber and bucking.

Mechbox is a standard V2 gearbox, it appeared to me to be well shimmed and had been through QC as there was a QC sticker on it (no idea what the QC involved), wiring was pretty standard the brittle feeling 18AWG wire, it is rear wired as expected.

Motor was a no name brand motor in the handle (like any standard M4 motor) it is also a long shaft motor.

ROF and FPS were pretty low stock though, i am guessing his was a bit of a dud as the shop we got it from was pretty pants selling pretty much crappy gear, it was dusty, messy, unorganized, old BBs lying on the floor everywhere, stuff said to be in stock on the website was not etc etc and yes he dropped £450 in that shop on that day for everything gun, BBs, battery etc.

Stock ROF: around 16 rounds per second (RPS)

Stock FPS: around 280 Feet per second (FPS)

Pants isn't it! :o

I was guessing a combination of poor compression sealing, standard bore barrel, bad hop up and crappy motor

When gave it to me to tech I suggested to him the following:

• Tightbore
  • Better hop up and bucking
  • M110 spring
  • Better motor

Being tight on cash he went for all the above except the motor, in the end his RPS was around 15 (due to stiffer spring) but his FPS went from 280FPS to about 345FPS (with some hop adjustment), he has since asked me to put a better motor in it so i will be getting him a high speed one and changing the tamiya to Deans.

My only gripes with this gun were the following from worst to least concern, these are problems that cannot be remedied using after market parts to upgrade or change things on this gun:

• When the stock is folded the wires from the tamiya connector (ie battery) going to the mechbox are visible and exposed, they could snag, split or break as they are cheap no name 18AWG wires.
  • The butt plate is held in place with one pin, for some reason my mates one keeps falling out by itself causing the butt plate to fall off, we had to tape it down at a recent skirmish to ensure he didn't lose it. I am guessing that his particular gun was a display model that got fiddled with a bit and some one had lost the retention clip.
  • The stock is very (read very) difficult to extend or make it shorter, you have to depress a button or lever and move it but its very awkward to do.
  • The cocking handle when released feels weak and soft, unlike a real gun where is a short sharp CLICK noise, this gun sounds very poncy, that is because the spring that does this is a low compression spring. I was however able to up this using a mechbox spring and made it feel manly again but the spring kept dropping slightly as it was not centred and getting in the way of the cocking handle so had to remove it.

Hope this helps you make a more educated decision, my mate is giving me his gun again on Monday to put his motor in (yes i know its easy he could do it himself but he's scared he will break it) so i might be able to upload you a quick review of it some time next week.

snip

Thanks for spending the time to write up such a comprehensive post. :)

I thought I'd found a place that had a VFC SCAR-L in stock for £350, turns out it was just my javascript not loading the page properly, so I'm back to the other two!

Although most people seem to be leaning towards the G&G I'm still very tempted by the WE, not expecting the internals to be high end for that price. But if I can get a good solid running SCAR for ~£250 plus a couple of internal bits that's not bad at all. Would most likely just stick a different spring + bucking in there and leave it at that, maybe a cheap mosfet as well.

Is the hopup unit a standard m4 type one? Other then the fire selector I take it the gearbox is standard v2.

A video would also be much appreciated, thanks.

• Supporters

The main thing that'd make me go for the WE is that it'll likely come with a more comprehensive or longer lasting warranty (and be more reliable anyway). WE are new to aegs too and of they're anything like the WE gbbs you have a 1 in 3 chance of getting a lemon.

The main thing that'd make me go for the WE is that it'll likely come with a more comprehensive or longer lasting warranty (and be more reliable anyway). WE are new to aegs too and of they're anything like the WE gbbs you have a 1 in 3 chance of getting a lemon.

I'd hope their consistency is a bit better with AEG's, nearly all the parts seem to be pretty standard.

i think the vfc scar H can be modded to accept a normal m4 hop up, I could have a look around and check it is the H version, but N.B a tech said this so I have no idea whether it will actually be that easy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.