Help me find a harness

Snapfrozen

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi team,

Read here for a long time but finally need some input. Appreciate being a UK forum alot of th erins won't be ideal as I'm in New Zealand however I'm more after opinions.

I've been airsoft in for 6 months with a low quality chest rig that I no longer fit or enjoy for comfort.

I'm looking at buying a harness but have some requirements that I'm struggling to meet.

1. Must carry 6 mags, prefer 8. We play on mid caps or real caps only in competitive games here.

2. Prefer an admin pouch of some sort. Pen, notebook, sharpie, map etc all need to go somewhere.

3. Must have space for a radio pouch.

4. Prefer it is easily compatible with a hydration set up. My current hydro has backpack straps and Molle so not much drama here.

5. It must be quite adjustable. I like to wear my rig tight.

I've been looking at the pig ucr which meets most of my criteria. Thoughts?

If you want to carry the kitchen sink, you probably want a tactical vest rather than a chest rig. That way you will have molle space on your back for things like hydration pouches and radio pouches.

It sounds like your games are more milsim like if you need to carry that much? Why not get a small backpack with space for a hydration pouch, that will satisfy all your carrying needs and you can drop it off somewhere safe when you need more agility? I believe that NZ only permits semi auto guns, so you could get by with some of the mags in a backpack as long as you remember to swap out mags to your rig when you have the time.

If you want to carry the kitchen sink, you probably want a tactical vest rather than a chest rig. That way you will have molle space on your back for things like hydration pouches and radio pouches.

It sounds like your games are more milsim like if you need to carry that much? Why not get a small backpack with space for a hydration pouch, that will satisfy all your carrying needs and you can drop it off somewhere safe when you need more agility? I believe that NZ only permits semi auto guns, so you could get by with some of the mags in a backpack as long as you remember to swap out mags to your rig when you have the time.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'd hardly consider it the kitchen sink :P Forgot to mention that my current backpack has hydration and space to carry food, first aid, extra ammo and objectives that don't fit in my dump pouch.

Milsim is 100% the aim of the game for me. Anywhere from 8 hour ops every month to a 24 hour every few.

We're now allowed full auto but the club only permits this on mid/low caps to prevent 300 round spams. I tend to shoot on semi only but at my last 24 hour op (My first, man did I take the kitchen sink then) I went through 8 mags being the last guy defending a stockpile against 8 hostiles. Won - but was down to my last pistol mag when backup arrived.

Biggest issue for me is a tight fit and comfort - This is what I currently have and I can't tighten it enough now that I've lost some weight.

FLYYE-FY-VT-C003-MC.jpg

I can't tighten it enough now that I've lost some weight.

Xmas might sort that :D

Hmm, it looks pretty adjustable now I have found the rig you have. If it's really too big around the waist, could you not just add new belt loops closer together on the rear panel? Can't help much more than that as I tend to use webbing. You don't ever have these problems with Pattern 37 webbing :)

Six mags is fairly standard for a modern soldier, so eight is definitely over the odds if you are doing a milsim, however, if eight is what you need then fair enough. You might find this linked PDF a useful guide; it's an analysis of effective US combat load outs in Afghanistan, with breakdowns of what everyone in a squad does/should carry to be most effective. There are useful weight charts in there too, which can help with effectively distributing any loads you carry:

http://thedonovan.com/archives/modernwarriorload/ModernWarriorsCombatLoadReport.pdf

Cheers Chock - I could survive with 6 fine - I'd like 8 but 6 might teach me to choose my shots better. Funny enough I have the only ICS L85 I've seen over here and love it. 4 is cutting it too fine though.

Russe11 - It's not the Flyye one - it's a cheap knock off. It's too big around the middle AND the chest so moves as I run so it's got to go.

Get a warrior 901 from uktactical, good adjustment and superior quality to most other options for the money.

The only downside is that it is pounds not dollars :P

I'm about 6 foot and hope to end up around 85-90kg when lean, currently 95. Likely to fit well? Any hydro options that clip right on?

• Supporters

The only downside is that it is pounds not dollars :P

I'm about 6 foot and hope to end up around 85-90kg when lean, currently 95. Likely to fit well? Any hydro options that clip right on?

Unfortunately there is no Warrior Assault Systems distributor in Australia. You could buy it from the US direct though https://www.chasetactical.com/warrior-assault-systems/db/18 http://www.warriorassaultsystems.com/ if the postage is better that way.

Their kit IS top notch though.

Warrior AS are very good, if you're in the UK.

I think there will be other brands you can get in NZ (or from Australia?) which will be as good -if not better- and probably cheaper too. Especially compared to the option of shipping from the US.

Also, there's no point buying WAS stuff in America tbh because the DCS plate carriers works out about $250 are $300 (£160 here) and everything is cheaper in the US so you can get better for your money.

A good example is Warrior Assault System's Sabre leg rig vs a HSGI Leg Rig. They're bout the same price AFAIK in the US, but over here there's a massive price difference.

I don't know any tactical gear / stuff retailers there though, and the only manufacturer I know is Australian Plat-A-Tac.

• Supporters

Have you considered a South African Assault Vest? You can fit all your requirements in there and more.

My shout would be the BULLE MLE harness for about £35 it gets you six internal mag pouches two zip pockets and a back panel for more

Not really sure how good of an idea this would be but I thought I would throw it in as another option. You could put together a condor chest rig using these parts.

http://www.military1st.co.uk/mcr4-002-condor-ops-chest-rig-black.html

http://www.military1st.co.uk/221036-002-condor-mcr-bib-integration-kit-black.html

http://www.military1st.co.uk/242-002-condor-hydro-harness-black.html

The base Harness itself can be configured to hold 8Mags and 2+Pistol mags as it uses standard pals + molle then you can connect the Hydro harness for your water bladder and finally add the bib which includes an admin pouch and has molle on it so you can add your own pouch. Then if you need even more room add a battle belt and you'll have yourself a good light Wight rig.

Also looking to build some sort of carrying system for my gear too and so far this thread has been useful :)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.