British army in Afghanistan load out up to date

jackal1982

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Needs a little bit of work- the SUSAT is out of place on a current Brit Army loadout, ACOGs and Elcan Spectres are the most current optical sight to use.

The helmet should be a Mk.7 for full accuracy however as these are difficult to get hold of and as the Mk.6 is still in wide use it doesn't really matter.

It'd look much better if you had a pair of tan/OD/MTP kneepads too, they make combat trousers look much less baggy and much more slick.

Otherwise, very nice loadout! If you need any pointers talk to Airsoft Ed, he's our resident Brit Kit enthusiast and has a very accurate setup.

• Supporters

pouch placement is all over the shop too. It's a good start though, I'd have a look a few photos from Herrick 18 onwards for what would be considered a 'current' kit.

though saying that, a current (as in right now) kit would have you wearing ECBA and some webbing (no joke).

could never get on with knee pads but then again cant find the right ones yeah could do with some help with the pouch placement most of the pouches are made by viper might have to shop on e bay

Awesome job mate, its the little detail touches that'll really make it now, small union flag on left not right arm etc, Ed's got a great loaout vid on YouTube and as JC says, look for some late Herrick pics for your pouch placement, but it is a great looking load out, where's the site with the Puma hull?

could never get on with knee pads but then again cant find the right ones yeah could do with some help with the pouch placement most of the pouches are made by viper might have to shop on e bay

You can get genuine Osprey Mk.4 pouches for cheaper than Viper stuff in some cases. Despite being a ripoff for most stuff, Cadet Direct does G1 Osprey pouches for under £10 each, and they're only G1 because they've been taken out of the plastic wrapper.

• Supporters

Yeah, osprey pouches are as cheap as dirt now. Even better than grade 1 ones from surplus are grade f*cked ones from eBay, first thing guaranteed to ruin any 'impression' load out is pristine kit, especially osprey pouches, they're not particularly well made and wear really quickly.

• Supporters

Really picking holes here, but you're using the old style UBACS as well lol.

My own loadout isn't really accurate, per se, it's an "impression" I didn't trawl over photos and try to copy them, I just wanted to capture the essence, and I think you've done the same.

• Supporters

pouch placement is all over the shop too.

So is there a standard doctrine for pouch placement then? I'd have thought a lot more personal choice would come through on that? Genuine question BTW.

• Supporters

So is there a standard doctrine for pouch placement then? I'd have thought a lot more personal choice would come through on that? Genuine question BTW.

There's guidelines, some things are standard like first aid kit location, other things are more don't-do's rather than must-dos. Magazine pouches on the front is a big no-no, someone realised that secondary fragmentation from magazines (and the bullets held within) do bad things to peoples faces when you step on an IED, as a result soldiers aren't supposed to have magazines pouches on the front of their armour anymore. Also means you can get your belly down closer to the ground when prone, which is no bad thing.

Looking at recent photos of guys in theatre you'll notice they've all set up their kits largely the same way, magazine pouches generally on the left cummerbund/belt, first aid kit on the right hand side, admin panel somewhere up front and high with zap-patch etc, PRR normally somewhere on the front quote low. Pistols on the chest were a 'thing' a while back (and still are for vehicle crews) but the new radar holster for the Glock 17 is designed to be worn as a drop-leg so that's what you'd see more of for a really current kit, there's still serpas knocking about though.

Only thing I can pick up, that doesn't require buying anything expensive, that hasn't already been mentioned is Helmet scrim.

Not sure if there is a particular Herrick "No" your going for, but for 99% of deployed lads in the past couple of years its been scrimmed helmets (though don't ask me when that came into effect). The new helmet covers come with a bag of pre-cut scrim, but frankly it isn't enough to do even a quarter of the helmet. Not advising you cut up your trousers for it, but if you come across a buckshee/ruined set of PCS on eBay etc, worth a couple of quid to sort the helmet out.

Liam

Guest pierce09

Nice kit. With the UBACS, it looks like you've got a viper Combat shirt instead of an issue UBACS. The Mk2 UBACS (with the green wicking, not brown) are dirt cheap too.

With the SUSAT and standard flash hider, your SA80 looks more like a late 2009 issue rifle or 2010 issue to combat support units (mine is the same configuration)

The trousers look like a US cut of pocket on them. Are they Massif Multicam ones?

I'm really picking but overall, looks great. You've definitely got the feel and look of UK Afghan issue kit, it's just the minor details that are left for a full impression.

That said, it's the best UK non SF impression i've seen in a while, especially from someone not serving!

• Supporters

If anyone needs kit I have a bunch for sale in the gear section. Almost everything you'd need for an Afghan loadout!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.