Best Value for Money M4?

Grumman

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello,

I am new to airsoft sport, I have only played couple of games. To be honest, it was love at first play! :D

I am looking to buy my own rifle and I am currently looking around, reading & watching video reviews...

I want an M4 rifle that I can use for woodland (mainly) as well as in CQB. The ratio on this is around 70/30...

My main criteria are:

Metal body or something realistic (definitely no cheap plastic)

Overall Length: >= 780mm

Velocity: ~ 350fps

ROF: ~ 12-14rps

RIS/RAS system

Future-proof (upgradable parts)

Reliable (no known faults or defects)

Budget: £130 - £250

Thank you in advance,

Thanasis

• Supporters

At this time of year, keep an open mind and look out for bargains. Just before Xmas, there will be deals about.

Last year I got a CA MP5 for £85 from JDairsoft in their pre Xmas sale. Then Landwarrior had half price Stens in January. Theres no telling what offers will be available this year or who will be doing offers so keep an eye out for the spot a bargain thread :)

wouldn't consider G&G CM16 cheap plastic.. thou they are plastic and they do not cost a lot either :D

but yea, either that or G&P. G&P is better & metal, feels very realistic.

I own two King Arms Colt Licensed GBBR M4A1's. Pound for pound, there are the closest repros of the real deal. The even come in within a few ounces of the same weight. But, they retail for about $300. If you are looking for an M4 that is high on the realism scale, as well as something that can sling rounds down range effectively, then check them out. I swear by mine.

You also need to factor in a battery and charger. Generally, a 7.4 lipo is great, and an imaxb6 or accucel 6 digital is good, they are the same tbh you have to be careful about getting a fake...

The general consensus is that you shouldn't have a GBBR for your first gun. A lot of maintenance and tuning is needed and even then you have to completely change your playstyle because you are very limited on rounds. They carry 30ish rounds in a mag, something you have to get used to.

G&G combat machines are great, and the plastic is in no way cheap material. G&P are very nice and the metal is good quality, so take your pick :)

While I do agree with Flex on some points, others I have to disagree. GBBR's are much more "milsim" because you do have the limited rounds, but that teaches you to conserve rounds. AEGS's on the other hand with hi-caps are total spray and pray weapons. It makes every player a SAW gunner. Now that may be fine for some, but it comes down to what style you want. Do you want to run closer to realism, or just get out and sling rounds?

As to GBBR VS AEG internally, they are apples to oranges, night and day. With the AEG you will be looking at after market gear boxes, motors, wiring, MOSFET, springs, a whole plethora of parts. With GBBRS we don't have much. I own both AEG's and GBBRs and I personally find my GBBR to be more easier to maintain, but then again I carried M16's and M4's. So I am used to maintaining those weapons.

Ulitmately, it comes down to what YOU want.

Exactly. So for me, in terms of maintenance I wouldn't do a great job. Generally noobs (like me) fine it easier at the start with an aeg. I do no maintenance on it and it runs perfectly. But if you are experienced or really do want to then go for it.

As for milsim newer players don't generally do it but if you like that kind of thing with real cap rounds and the kick of a GBBR then sure go for it.

Another point to remember as sabre pointed out

Skirmish are for unlimited ammo which noob's do a lot of

Milsim is more for experienced guys who have trigger discipline

Trigger discipline is something you learn over time as you learn to control your emotions whereas for people like me who started with cadet forces then into the armed forces, we've learnt trigger discipline and to conserve ammo, 3 burst rounds on auto

• Supporters

don't forget you can get low-cap mags for AEG's ;) so easy to learn trigger discipline and have a hi-cap in reserve ;):D

as for a good gun, i find my G&G raider great, its nice and light, and in over 18months of ownership, all i have done is give the barrel a good cleaning every now and then, nothing has dropped off etc.

Its up to you as to which gun you go for, but just out of interest what have you been using at you local site? are they full metal?

Thanks again for the tips! :D

At my local site I am renting currently a Heckler & Koch G36 C wich is made of ABS and Metal.

It is a really nice and sturdy rifle, I really enjoy using it, but it is kinda short and I am a tall guy with long arms and small rifles do not feel comfortable that's why I would like an M4 as I really like the iconic shape as well as the length of it! :D

• Supporters

(in my view) it might be best to keep with a light gun then, as you are used to the weight etc, full metal guns tend to be a bit tiring on your arms if you are not used to them (but this is a personnel thing, as if you have biceps like pop eye it wont make much difference etc).

one more thing to consider on a M4 is front rails, as this allows more upgrade options such as using a fore grip (i recommend this as it reduced wrist stress), and other add ons (torches PEQ boxes etc etc)

the other thing to consider is gun balance, for instance, in my G&G CM16 raider, the battery is in the Stock, meaning a lot of the weight is close to your body, i find this to be very comfortable and easy on my arms etc.

have you tried talking to a few locals at you local site, they normally love showing off there guns (i do :P ), and it would give you a chance to see how they feel to you B)

• Supporters

totally agree with G&G Raider - short version btw not the slightly longer version

perfect bridge for wood & cqb - ok a folded stock G36 is shorter but that would

really tight corridor/stairwell areas that a G36c or MP5k might be a bit more handy

but they wouldn't be as long range as long M4 or AK - generally speaking btw

(a well set tight cqb can pi$$ over a crap M4 - hence generally speaking)

Raider S - short version is imho a fantastic all rounder - yes some can & do use

much longer guns in cqb but usually horses for courses...

it will come with rails, good price, 2-tone free at zero one, and is decent good value gun

that is about £130-ish that performs well out of box plus very tweakable if you wish

M4 is nice ergonomic and this Raider S model is very very popular and hence why it sells out

I am on the lookout for a Tan Raider S btw but these seem to be out of stock more than black

(I want one but think I will be thrown out if I bring yet another gun home atm so xmas pressie)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.