Co2 mags/guns why do sites hate them?

springs
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys.

i was wondering if anyone could explain why some people / sites don't like Co2 powered weapons?

I've got a WE Glock 17 with a Co2 mag and never had problems. Although i haven't been asked about it and no one has brought it up before.

From looking around and talking to a couple of people they have said that you shouldn't use Co2 mags as sites don't allow them etc etc..

From my experience the Co2 mag has been more reliable especially in the cold weather.

so just wondering why people say this?

Usually a gun filled with co2 will fire a BB at a higher velocity than green gas.... so if you mention you have a co2 gun, they'll automatically think, "EERRR MA GAWWD!!! ATE HUNDARED EFF PEE ESS GUNZ R NAWT ALOUD HEAR!!!! GO SUK A CAWK AN' GO HOHM U LANKY BASTURD!"

But of course not all co2 guns are high in fps. That's why there are chronographs.

• Supporters

The reason I have seen given at my local site is that they do not reliably fire at the same velocity. i.e. they could Chrono fine but be firing the odd shot or two over site limits. Thing I find stranger is sites not allowing propane but will allow green gas when it is propane with an added lubricant(as far as I am aware).

• Supporters

My CO2 pistol fires reliably, it's just that the FPS drops reliably from one shot to the next so that by the sixth it has got down to under 350 and stays there reliably until either I run out of BB's in the mag or cease fire. Next time I fire it will be reliably back up to 370+/-4. So yeah, it's a fucking beast and not suitable for wimpsoft sites, but it's totally reliably a beast...

• Supporters

As Ian said, some of them can be shot a little, then chrono'd safely and then taken out in game once the CO2 is warm again and used above the safe FPS limits.

To get around this, simply put a fresh bulb in the mag at the chrono and fire ALL shots through the chrono. realistically there is no need to fire anything before the chrono, so this shouldn't cause a problem.

If a RIF chronos under 350 on a .2bb, sites shouldn't give rats arse how the bb reaches that speed.

If a RIF chronos under 350 on a .2bb, sites shouldn't give rats arse how the bb reaches that speed.

Blowpipe up the bum ;)

Shame my Dan wesson is banned at F&O sites. Makes a wicked CQB pistol

• Supporters

Gotta love Ground Zero Woodland: all semi-auto guns 425FPS

I had barely used my pistol 'in anger' until NAE13 when I carried it as sniper backup - several kills, including 2 that came from a quick draw as a couple of Deltas bimbled into a clearing in which I was stood chatting merrily to a woman I'd just met, thinking we were well out of the skirmish lines. We were all so surprised that for a moment we all just stood there - i actually jumped with surprise, but despite that I got my USP out and on target faster than they could come to and point their AEG's :lol:

The way I look at it is this: sites usually advise people to wear full face protection - everybody knows you can lose teeth from hits well under 350 FPS, so if you choose not to wear any face protection then it's your own declaration that you are hard enough to withstand being shot in the face by anything on the field. A face shot is the only shot that is going to do any damage that a person might consider 'actual harm' or even 'grievous', if they're attached to their innocent looking youthful countenance. So yeah, I wouldn't aim for headshots with my CO2 pistol unless the head was all I could see and, at very close range, I do hesitate longer in hopes of seeing more target, but the extra 10m range is worth the additional sting when i'm on the receiving end :lol:

I stuck my Glock with the Co2 mag on the Chrono yesterday and it was only shooting at 290+ fps so was well within the limits. I can't say i know what it was firing at when it was using gas mags.

I think it's more about the risk factor... Green gas works at low pressure.. Can't remember exactly, then you have Co2 which works at 800-900psi... However unlikely it is to have several things go wrong with the weapon at the same time, the risk of a bb with 800 psi behind it is too much for some insurers to take.

as all sites in northern ireland(and i believe the south too) are limited to 328 fps on .2's can i just state i hate you all...

on a more relavent note its because co2 pistols are generally higher powered than other gas propulsions so more likely to break fps restrictions. i wouldnt mind running co2 with our weather/ climate but that side of it pretty much makes it a no go unfortunately...

I think it's more about the risk factor... Green gas works at low pressure.. Can't remember exactly, then you have Co2 which works at 800-900psi... However unlikely it is to have several things go wrong with the weapon at the same time, the risk of a bb with 800 psi behind it is too much for some insurers to take.

Theres a higher risk of the gun exploding than that to happen...

Archived