What Brand for Tight Bores?

AK47frizzle
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ok, so i'm gonna get a new gun soon (G&G GR4 GR26).

Gonna get a tightbore after that. 6.03mm 247mm to be exact.

I'm kinda wondering... what brand is good?

I know mudbull is good. But what about other brands? Deepfire?

I'm kinda choosing this madbull python for now http://www.actionhobbies.co.uk/Madbull-Black-Python-Ver-2-6-03mm-Tight-Bore-Barrel-247mm_AMDX2.aspx#.Ubd3efmTiSp

But is this good as well or better?http://www.actionhobbies.co.uk/Deep-Fire-6-02mm-SS-Tight-bore-Barrel-247mm_AY7SI.aspx#.Ubd3zvmTiSo

If they're both crap, what other good brands are there? I hear that PDI is better but i dunno about that.

Not noticeably.

I have a 6.01mm in my 416 and performance drops very quickly as it builds up with dust and dirt. Need to clean far more often.

Just read the OP. I thought all G&G guns came standard with a 6.03 ? The barrel in my gun was very greasy when I got it. just give it a clean when you get it and It should be good to go.

If it's a Top Tec gen2 G & G gun your getting, they come with a 6.03 as standard

It's not a top tec, it's more of a combat machine and i think they come with 6.08 as standard like most AEGs are... at least i think so.

It's not a top tec, it's more of a combat machine and i think they come with 6.08 as standard like most AEGs are... at least i think so.

its a combat machine blowback I think. 6.08 just sounds too big for a barrel

A quick search suggests the standard is a 6.04 "most G&Gs come with a 6.04 barrel as standard".

its a combat machine blowback I think. 6.08 just sounds too big for a barrel

A quick search suggests the standard is a 6.04 "most G&Gs come with a 6.04 barrel as standard".

hmmm.... still worth the 0.01 difference with the madbull tight bore

hmmm.... still worth the 0.01 difference with the madbull tight bore

Is that a question or a statement?

Really 0.01 make so little a difference it does not matter.

Is that a question or a statement?

Really 0.01 make so little a difference it does not matter.

Every little bit counts. 6.05 and 6.03 have a 200th of a millimetre difference, that's a very little difference considering how small 100th of a mm is, but still makes a noticable difference. Each 100th of a mm adding on will noticeably improve the difference until it gets to 6.01....

• Supporters

That's only if your in the belief that 6.01 is the best.

Quality matters more than anything, get the best make possible ignoring the diameter until you get to the very best such as PDI etc.

ID imagine there's a good reason why the newer mad bull barrels are wider if they can produce wider ones at a better quality than thinner ones for the same price. If the newer ones are wider, it'd suggest they can get the same or better results out of them for the same price as the older 6.01's

Likewise PDI sell their 6.08's as their accuracy range and the 6.01's for power. They'd only be losing if they hadn't got a significant result in favour of the 6.08 being more accurate as its cheaper and would mean they'd lose out on money.

Unless its a precision rifle such as a dmr or sniper rifle, you won't notice a big.difference anyway.

• Supporters

ID imagine there's a good reason why the newer mad bull barrels are wider if they can produce wider ones at a better quality than thinner ones for the same price. If the newer ones are wider, it'd suggest they can get the same or better results out of them for the same price as the older 6.01's

Likewise PDI sell their 6.08's as their accuracy range and the 6.01's for power. They'd only be losing if they hadn't got a significant result in favour of the 6.08 being more accurate as its cheaper and would mean they'd lose out on money.

Y'know saying that about the new barrels being 03 and the old being 01, I've had much better results from the older 01s than the new 03s, and that's tested in 3 different guns, various lengths, fps settings, hop rubbers and BB weights.

Reading what Liam said a while about about the higher quality, wider bore giving him higher fps than the tighter lower quality barrel is interesting though, I wish I could justify buying an ultra high quality barrel to test it out more thoroughly, but it's one of those things where unless it's a guaranteed improvement, it seems like a stupid, risky spend.

Logically a wider bore should make the gun worse, and when they're sold for £60+ I don't really want to buy one, to find that my assumption, and logic, was right and there's nothing to it but the branding.

• Supporters

Don't get me wrong I'm not on either side of the fence so to speak, it would just make sense that the newer is better as an average- you're not the first I've heard to prefer the older barrels Ed. But equally their must've been a significant amount of those who had for it to have changed.

I believe the main.issue was with a flaking finish after a bit of use, though its not something I've looked into.

Similar to you Ed, I can't see a huge benefit on spending loads testing out so many so I stick with what I know and like.

To the op, get a madbull 6.03 or laylax (prometheus) 6.05. Sorted.

• Supporters

Most Cymas and other lower key brands come with 6.08s

That isn't the case. CYMA's have a 6.04mm barrel as standard.

@Ian I tested my MP5's stock barrel against a Madbull TBB and the difference was phenomenal. If the stock Cyma barrel was 6.04 there wouldn't have been much difference, but if it was indeed 6.08 that'd explain the huge accuracy difference I got with the madbull.

• Supporters

No that's ridiculous. The madbull's quality would have far surpassed that of a stock cyma, that's where the difference in.performance came from.

Just because it was only a tiny bit tighter doesn't mean.it can have a huge performance increase, its.just common sense.

Cyma make some.good stuff but their barrels will be no where near as consist ant as a mad bull and the finish won't be as good, thats where the benefits come from. I'd almost go as far as saying that the internal diameter is one of the least important factors when deciding on a barrel.

• Supporters

@TacMaster: It may just be that I got phenomenally lucky with my CYMA AK barrel, but that AEG beat TM AK's for range and accuracy right out of the box, and the barrel made very noticeable improvement to my Gen III SRC G36KV. That said, it is brass so I'm very careful when I clean it.

Brass Barrels have a 'break in' period for a about 50k shots,since it is a soft metal,the air constantly flowing through it shapes and deforms it thus granting it better performance. Don't remember why,I lost the Reddit thread link,but TL;DR; Sciency shit.

There were test results between a gun with a fresh out of factory brass barrel and a gun with an older barrel with 100k+ shots through it,both guns stock,fresh out of the box.

I experienced for myself,I went to my local shop and compared my 6 year old VSR,even with a worn hop rubber,to a out of the box VSR and I got superior accuracy.

This might be the answer to Ian's case,the broken in barrel gave him better performance on his G36

Bore quality and use(If it's brass) affects barrels. I'm on the wider is better side of the fence.

Personally,I would recommend a 6.05mm Brass barrel. Aftermarket manufacturers don't seem to make them much,but you can grab a Marui one for pretty cheap.

The theory is that you need a barrel that is tight enough to allow air flow around the BB but not enough so the BB moves all over the place.

If the barrel and BB are matched correctly then the air will flow behind and around the BB. If this happens then the BB never touches the sides of the barrel giving the best performance.

This is all theory of course. I think you can even buy rifled barrels that are supposed to give this effect.

But the point is your choice of quality BB is as important as your choice of quality barrel.

Archived