Has anyone measured their AEG range?

Dannn

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As title, what's your maximum range you can consistently hit a man size target with your go to AEG?

I'd prefer actual measured distances for comparison..

I'm at 150' in nil wind, most shots hit but being an airsoft there'll be the odd flyer or 5 😂

• Supporters

Don't ask that from airsofters. The ones who took time and energy to actually measure it, will feel ashamed when they read that others' guns can reliably hit a man sized target at 100 meters. :)

I have seen videos that stated "100 meter shot" and calculating from the BB's flight time it was only 30 - and then when I commented it on the vid, the poster said: yeah, it might have been 30. I have heard numerous claims reaching 80-100 meters and when I asked for proof they all said: ok, I will take a vid. They never returned. People usually eyeball distances and don't count the few (dozen) flyers.

A fine tuned AEG shooting 350fps (with 0.20g) can hit a man quite reliably at 60m and headshot nearly every time on 40m with heavy BBs.

HPA or similar kits might reach further because of the joule creep, ergo higher energy with the heavy BB used. GBBRs can have joule creep too but they are usually way less accurate than an AEG.

50m is the range for a normal, well maintained AEG, with average 0.25.

40m or less for non-maintained AEGs and/or using 0.20.

Something like that.

• Supporters

You guys are right it seems impossable to get any realistic info on the subject

To be fair it's largely irrelevant what other people say they reach; if you can hit what you're shooting at who cares what everyone elses range is?

• Supporters

Oh I agree with you there, the problem is that any given up grade will respond differently in almost every gun. There will be a general trend for sure (TBB will increase FPS for example) but direct comparisons are hard. For example - I needed to get my FPS down below 340 to use a gun at the Malls. M100 should be right but even an M90 pushes a couple of my guns over because I've also improved my airseal (nozzle, cylinder head, piston o-ring etc). In addition to that a combination of upgrades will change how a gun responds depending on how that particular combination works with the other component parts - the TBB you choose for an M16 won't respond the same as the same ID TBB on my M4 for example (as it has a 280mm long barrel).

Maybe think about what you find a problem with your specific gun and ask if anyone has an idea to improve that aspect.

And don't be offended if the answer is either "move closer" or "learn to shoot better" :)

• Supporters

My issue is having already " learnt to shoot better" haha !!

And airsoft isnt accurate so trying to get it shoot well in comparison to others

Now we're getting somewhere!

Where are your guns deficiencies? What is your gun while we're at it?

I'd go with he above, well maintained AEG and heavy ammo, 50-60m is about right.

That said, my old VSR from ASPUK which was one of the first Darren worked on. At 500fps and .40's could accurately hit 90m in good weather.

HPA guns do seem to perform well, especially when you lat hop and go wide etc.

But as already mentioned, no way ever really validates or measures properly.

In my experience the ATP is pretty accurate about the range you get with various power outputs.

http://mackila.com/airsoft/ATP/

So the maximum and effective range you can't do a lot about they are dependent on the guns power, but in my experience you can improve the accuracy at the maximum ranges given the right parts and love.

• Supporters

60m at 320fps is the limit for my gun (every shot a hit, using .28s I've found entirely eliminates fliers), that's on a measured range shooting at a thin steel fig11 sized target from a bench, I expect if I 'lobbed' the shots a bit it'd maybe be a bit further, but that's not how I roll.

I expect if I put a significantly beefier spring into my M4 and used much heavier ammo (.36 or above) I could get another 15-20m, but I find that 60m is noticeably further than most people's guns shoot anyway :)

Only gun I've ever seen which could consistently hit people at RANGE (e.g. 100m first shot hits) was a supermax PTW shooting about 650fps on .20g BBs loaded with .44g BBs, not even nearly site-legal at 99% of places though.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.