Barrel length effects on accuracy - Breakdown and recommendations

Pseudotectonic

Does barrel length affect accuracy? Yes? No?

How? And how much?

--

Let's do a simple thought experiment. Using maths, and a very typical situation. I have a variable barrel that goes from 50 mm to 550 mm. And I have an imaginary target at 30 metres. I want to find out the different ways the difference in barrel length can affect the grouping diameter.

For the purpose of this calculation, we can eliminate the factors of air volume and hop up. Because for every build these would have been tuned accordingly to work with each barrel length. They will all have been tuned to output the same joule with the same BB and with the same hop up performance.

Therefore this calculation deals only with the geometrical effects of a longer or shorter barrel.

--

spacer.png

Diagram A: Spread introduced by barrel BB travel

Assume the barrel is a stock 6.05 mm barrel. The BB has a typical 5.95 mm diameter. Therefore the variation is 0.1 mm.

Assuming the BB travels in more or less a straight line, this 0.1 mm variation at the barrel exit will give us the worst case BB trajectory.

The final spread diameter at 30 metres is therefore a simple triangle calculation.

--

spacer.png

Diagram B: Spread introduced by inner barrel wobble inside outer barrel

Due to the construction of airsoft, the inner barrel is normally not fixed inside the outer barrel, but simply rests inside with a little clearance space around. During the firing cycle the gun will definitely be subject to vibrations of all sorts, making the inner barrel essentially wobble inside the space it occupies.

Assuming this clearance is 0.4 mm (measured from an AEG) we can similarly calculate the spread it creates at 30 metres.

--

spacer.png

Diagram C: Spread introduced by difference in ergonomics

A longer barrel will allow you to hold it steady at two further apart locations, because of the longer handguard. This can be fully exploited to create a more stable barrel.

Assuming your most steady hand will involuntarily sway within a 2 mm range, we can again extrapolate its effects on the grouping using the same calculation.

--

Factor D: Wind

There is no diagram for this because wind is not affected by barrel length. We assume a moderate wind affecting our BB at 30 metres to introduce a spread of 50 mm.

--

Results:

spacer.png

In the order of significance, the barrel length can influence the accuracy through:

• - Ergonomics
  • - Inner barrel wobble
  • - BB travel inside barrel

I will discuss each below.

The biggest advantage of a longer barrel has surprisingly nothing to do with the actual ballistics of the BB, but the effect of simply having a longer stick to hold onto gives you a better control of the aim. For shorter barrels below 200 mm, the ergonomic disadvantages will affect your accuracy a lot for long range engagements, although the shorter builds are better for CQB where accuracy is less important than manoeuvrability. The biggest thing you can do to exploit the advantages of a longer barrel in terms of accuracy will be to eliminate hand sway as much as possible while making use of the longer form factor. That means using bipods or resting your gun at something solid as much as possible, and so on. Again it remains true that it is 99% the user and 1% the gun.

Even with worst case geometrics, the inner barrel wobble and BB travel inside barrel does not really introduce much spread once you go above 200 mm barrel length, where it generally becomes less of a problem than actual wind blowing your BB. Above say 300 mm, the effect will become so small it becomes virtually no difference in most practical situations.

--

Recommendations:

• - Below 200 mm is strictly for CQB. The BB, the barrel, and the gun itself will all suffer from stability issues for making accurate shots.
  • - While barrel length affects accuracy in pure mathematics, the ballistic effects will have become virtually irrelevant above 300 mm.
  • - Longer barrels (longer guns / sniper rifles) can potentially have better groupings, with the right skills, and probably with the right bipod.
  • - The best method to improve accuracy is improving largely your skills, not your gun.

Conclusions:

Nothing is new here, but I guess you can't really snipe with an MP5K. But you can potentially snipe with an MP5.

30m is med for bolt guns running high power, 30m for everything else is lowest  range , using 30m to test barrel length accuracy, is insignificant, all air muskets are able to hit a target at 30m ,everything is needed to get accuracy, correct cylinder volume ,efficient air seal, air nozzle engagement, tappet return, magazine spring tension everything needs to be taken into account before you get to hop rubber ,nub and then barrel ,and ammo weight , you cant just remove them variables to come to a conclusion .    

9 hours ago, Pseudotectonic said:

Recommendations:

• - Below 200 mm is strictly for CQB. The BB, the barrel, and the gun itself will all suffer from stability issues for making accurate shots.

My son's backup AEG, a modified G&G Firehawk with a 160mm inner barrel (120mm is stock length for it), says otherwise. Shooting 0.32g, with a Max Model M4A-PRO + o-rings rather than a spring in front of the hop unit, it has a huge amount of range and is very accurate.

Looking at inner barrel length in isolation is not the whole picture.

(I've also a CYMA MP5K, running a Snipetor r-hop patch + Modify flat bucking + 0.32g BB's, and it's range and accuracy is also way better than you'd expect)

• Supporters

It's an interesting dive, but there are some thoughts to consider.

First is straightness, keeping a half metre tube straight to within the diameter tolerances we have is unlikely when things are being produced as cheaply as possible. Not to mention that the inner barrel might be perfectly straight but the outer has other ideas. I have pondered that a barrel curved intentionally downwards to force the bb to ride on its top edge (thus adding rather than detracting from the hop spin) could theoretically give better stability. I have a vague foggy recollection the americans had some sort of miracle barrel with a groove in it to acheive this but that's got as much weight behind it as the tk twist.

Second is the concept of stabilisation ie the whole riding on a cushion rather than bouncing off the walls, which i've yet to see the kind of full nerd level fea type analysis to confirm if it's even a thing, let alone give an idea of where the sweet spot is in terms of bore/length and the effects of bb weight and energy level. I suspect if it is you'll find that for a given ammo/energy level, too short gives too little time for the transition from bouncing to drifting, and too long reduces the pressure to where it can't even initialise stability in the first place.

And third is the everything else that goes on in our systems, which is why my typical summation is that barrel length is mostly irrelevant as simply getting the rest of the pew good enough to even notice the change is a challenge in an of itself.

Which ultimately boils down to barrel length being a choice made on other factors, like the handling, aesthetics, and wether your chosen field/style of play grants a benefit or a penalty to running a longer gun (ie poking through hedges outdoors or handling in tight spaces indoors)

The only real effect of barrel length is volume relative to the volume of whatever is providing the propulsion.

The barrel length is ultimately irrelevant otherwise.

It is easier to hold a lighter weapon steady than a heavier one, the addition of a shoulder stock to a pistol is a great bonus to accuracy. It's not about the barrel.

Barrel length and bore don't affect accuracy until they are at extremes. BBs don't rattle around the barrel on the way down, they are guided by equalising pressures around the BB, keeping it central and straightness and uniformity of bore will be the primary factors affecting accuracy.

There is a school of thought that wider bores allow a steadier passage of the BB down the barrel,  pressures will equalise regardless of the bore.. again within the extremes.

Clearly hop matters but is outside the scope of this thread.

2 minutes ago, ak2m4 said:

this is just from my own research in my own particular case.  I've got hundreds of identical polished new barrels, polished to RA 0.5, all different lengths from 128 to 500 - same bore size.  Have tested about 400 so far and one clear observation is that the shorter ones are more accurate.  

Say what! Did you mis type you mean longer more accurate, surely 

Edited by Muzzer

1 minute ago, ak2m4 said:

the shorter ones are more accurate

Probably because there is less "length" to go wrong compared to a longer one.

In the wall of text I deleted I mentioned how my 5" M4 is way more consistent than it was with a 10" barrel, essentially achieving the same, if not slightly more range.

And the 5" is just a cut down and recrowned Guarder barrel I had while the 10" is a prommy 6.05...

I think the only thing that really affects performance when it comes to barrels is correctly voluming your build with the BBs you plan on using, and in terms of gas guns making sure you have the correct barrel length to joule creep to the power you want. Too much air volume leads to inconsistencies in shots, as the excess air can push the BB off-centre when it leaves the barrel, but too little volume leads to lower power and the BB decelerating while it is still in the barrel.

Also, apparently barrel bore influences accuracy and power, with wider tending towards more accuracy and tighter tending towards more power, but I think the difference in accuracy between barrel bores is minimal. I've had very accurate builds with 6.02 and 6.03 barrels, and poor performance with 6.23 widebores, so I think the barrel bore for stability isn't a huge deal.

@Adolf Hamster Re air cushion the most convincing article I've seen is here but it only shows that air cushions exist in theory, it doesn't discuss barrel lengths and volumes. But I find it interesting it says "BB's in tight bores follow a more stable path than wide bores" but @Sewdhull @Impulse suggested otherwise. My current believe is wider bore is more accurate, not because of better or worse air cushioning but because it is less susceptible to defects or imperfections or dust ingress or vibrations. Of course again this is pure theory.

@ak2m4 @Skara Shorter more accurate!? Last 3 or 4 inches greatly affect accuracy? That is very counter-intuitive.

Is shorter more accurate a linear relationship or how is the curve? Was the air volume appropriate for each barrel, same joule, same hop, same BB?

What might be the theory behind this? Could it be that the air cushion in the last few inches (where it matters most) has a higher pressure in a shorter barrel than the longer barrel (because to achieve the same joule the shorter barrel needs a stronger spring / air pressure to accelerate the BB within a shorter timeframe) therefore has a stronger stabilising (i.e. centering) effect?

And what do you mean 260 to 300 being the sweet spot? You mean it doesn't improve much if it is shorter than this?

Air pressure behind the BB is probably the most important criteria for stability in a barrel. Enough to push past the BB and stabilise it. Longer barrels will need the same pressure for longer and shorter barrels may other issues of their own like insufficient time to stabilise or excess pressure on exit causing issues, I don't know.

I do know that I can balance a Malteser in the stream of air from my lips using he same principle that exists in when air pushes past a BB in a barrel. The problem is that even those ppl who try to control the environment leave numerous variables unaddressed and then claim a conclusion.

HPA guns stand the best chance of showing the value or not of a longer barrel ( On accuracy) because of the constant pressure, but the complex interactions before the BB exits the barrels make drawing conclusions from experimentation tricky.

9 hours ago, Fatboy40 said:

My son's backup AEG, a modified G&G Firehawk with a 160mm inner barrel (120mm is stock length for it), says otherwise. Shooting 0.32g, with a Max Model M4A-PRO + o-rings rather than a spring in front of the hop unit, it has a huge amount of range and is very accurate.

Looking at inner barrel length in isolation is not the whole picture.

(I've also a CYMA MP5K, running a Snipetor r-hop patch + Modify flat bucking + 0.32g BB's, and it's range and accuracy is also way better than you'd expect)

My 150mm barrel length stubby M4 has astonishing range and accuracy that also says otherwise.

8 hours ago, ak2m4 said:

I should have 6.03 / 6.04 stock in soon

3mol6q.jpg

Hopefully you'll have them in long boi lengths 😂

Yep all lengths in AEG.  I'm just waiting on the 2nd sample to arrive, hopefully end of next week.  They sent the 1st sample to me couple of weeks ago but it didn't have the internal polishing.  I'll post up some video of it.  Again some interesting stuff with in that you all might find interesting.