Theoretical Question

Doyley83

Pure theoretical question that is in no way related to anything in real life.

If you sold a relatively low value item on the forum, and chose to save yourself 50-60p on postage with Evri rather than the standard and reliable Royal Mail, and that item then got lost (shock horror), would you refund the buyer as soon as possible as to avoid negative feedback or public shaming?

Or, would you claim that you are the victim and make the buyer wait until Evri (the best logistics company ever) refunds you before passing that on to your buyer.

Or, would you just refund the buyer up front as a common curtesy and worry about the refund from Evri in the background as it's your own problem for being as cheap as possible on delivery.

Head spinner - opinions sought

One of the issues with Evri is that the package isn't really confirmed as lost and until they've paid you, this can take about 2 weeks after you've made the claim. I've had several packages go "missing" with them, I've issued a refund to the buyer, only for it to turn up at the their door a week later.

But as others have said, if it is low value, just refund it. Some people are just too cheap.

Just now, Neptune said:

One of the issues with Evri is that the package isn't really confirmed as lost and until they've paid you, this can take about 2 weeks after you've made the claim. I've had several packages go "missing" with them, I've issued a refund to the buyer, only for it to turn up at the their door a week later.

But as others have said, if it is low value, just refund it. Some people are just too cheap.

Whilst I am new to this forum, I have been a member of several other airgun forums for many years. The feedback system usually works, I myself have a 50+ score on one of the main forums (AGF) because if I sell something, it genuinly pains me when posting until the buyer has it in hand and is happy. I really don't like posting items, I will not post a high value rifle etc.

It saddens me 2 transactions in on this forum that I've had my first problem. Hopefully it's not a regular thing

I've bought several items valued between £5 -£300 from the classifieds here & the only issue I had was on a low vaue item (about £10-20), the seller refunded me with no issues & I offered to pay again if it eventually showed up.

You pay your money & take your chances.

TBH I've had more issues with deliveries from retailers.

Edited by ButcherBill

If I'm selling an item I prefer to specify a better quality of delivery service which is covered with the full value of the item in insurance cover. Royal Mail special delivery next working day by 1.00pm is my usual choice. 

Yes it does cost more but only ever had 1 lost parcel which was fully refunded to me after I refunded the buyer.

Happy buyers means better feedback as well!

How low is low?  If it's under a tenner and been a week then I'd just refund, if more then I'd wait till the specified EVRI delivery time was up.  Not got a glue what this is but Royal Mail is 10 working days.  I'd say 1 in every 200 packages I send goes missing only to turn up on the 10th day.  

• Supporters

I think it's a lesson in not penny pinching. The only times I use Evri is if it's a service provided by a seller for returns (like Amazon). Pay the extra 50p.

As far as refunds go, pay up and claim it back. It's your responsibility until the customer receives it.

11 hours ago, Hobbnob said:

Dodgy delivery is the seller's problem, refund the buyer first and then handle your business if you know that the package is lost

This. Iirc under UK distance selling laws the seller is responsible for the parcel right up till it's in the buyer's hands. 

If a seller is holding on to someone's money and delaying giving a refund then any negative feedback is deserved

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

I think it's a lesson in not penny pinching. The only times I use Evri is if it's a service provided by a seller for returns (like Amazon). Pay the extra 50p.

As far as refunds go, pay up and claim it back. It's your responsibility until the customer receives it.

100% this ^^^

If you are penny pinching by sending by Evri etc, and it goes missing, cough up a refund to the buyer.

Ive only had one slight issue using RM where the barcode sticker came off the parcel whilst being handled through their system

Buyer was patient as I had to collect the item from the depot and re send it

I ALWAYS put my details on the back of a parcel to make sure somebody gets it eventually 🤞

Only ever had sales problems with airsofters tbh , I think the shithead - good guy ratio is massively unbalanced . I’ve been buying and selling for well over 20yrs now , Arnies , UKAZ , Zeroin , here , as well as eBay , Airgun forums , knife forums and Instagram . It’s always airsoft related stuff that crops up . 

last one was on here fairly recently  , sent an item RM signed for , no updates to it , buyer waits , which I was thankful for .after a week I just issue a refund and say if it arrives just let me know. Nothing .

two weeks later I just randomly checked the parcel status , signed for and collected at depot … buyer ? Wasnt me mate 🤔.

Going against the grain.....  I have not had a problem with sending stuff via Evri in the past - not that I've sent Airsoft gear that way.  I only use it because it is handy for me as the Post Office is never open when I need to send stuff, and our favourite local convenience store is also a drop off point.

Sending a remote control off to be repaired this evening, so fingers crossed I haven't just jinxed myself.

3 hours ago, JimFromHorsham said:

two weeks later I just randomly checked the parcel status , signed for and collected at depot … buyer ? Wasnt me mate 🤔.

Haha, yes I'm well versed in this, learnt the hard way...Just some tips here:

- Always use the RM service that covers the value.  Tracked 24 is £150, Signed For £50, Normal 1st/2nd £20
- If you can use their new Tracked 24/48 service as it's given priority and only a few pence more.  Signed For is an old product.  Tracked 24 will let you know which depot its been to etc.
- Never refund unless the 10 business days are up (or it's a low value etc) - worth explaining to the buyer that's their policy before agreeing sale.
- Take photo of contents and package before shipping
- In the event of a claim always keep all correspondence and proof of the value of the item (this can be hard.)
- Order online via RM website and they'll pickup for free and provide label if needed.

Edited by ak2m4

56 minutes ago, ak2m4 said:

Haha, yes I'm well versed in this, learnt the hard way...Just some tips here:

- Always use the RM service that covers the value.  Tracked 24 is £150, Signed For £50, Normal 1st/2nd £20
- If you can use their new Tracked 24/48 service as it's given priority and only a few pence more.  Signed For is an old product.  Tracked 24 will let you know which depot its been to etc.
- Never refund unless the 10 business days are up (or it's a low value etc) - worth explaining to the buyer that's their policy before agreeing sale.
- Take photo of contents and package before shipping
- In the event of a claim always keep all correspondence and proof of the value of the item (this can be hard.)
- Order online via RM website and they'll pickup for free and provide label if needed.

cheers and good info , im also well versed in sales , I don’t sell to anyone and everyone , the item was only just over £20 including the shipping , was a signed for service and  to someone with a lot of forum activity .

just one of those things , I’m quite lucky in that I don’t sell for any other reason other than to clear space and free up funds for more shite I don’t need 😂 

At the end of last month I went to an airsoft carboot , nice and easy , you see it you buy it , I hand it over . That for me will be the bulk of my airsoft sales moving forward .

Edited by JimFromHorsham