Case layout

DanBow

1 hour ago, gavinkempsell said:

I know... as I typed it I looked at my pews and thought I don't need this big a collection either, the difference in my mind is... I can look at & enjoy my pews but a gun case is really a thing to carry them 10 feet from my front door to the boot of my car, I'll end up getting one eventually but it's low on my list of airsoft priorities (for now).

One of these would be nice...

multiple-rifle-shotgun-case-scaled-e1627338140805.jpg

Ooh, now that is nice. 

I'm sort of lucky that i only have 4 pews, for now, and dont really have anywhere to keep them in the house so putting thw3m in cases where i can then stash them out of the way makes sense. 

I do, as of Saturday, have a spare bedroom so I think that might become 'The Gun Room' with them on display. Then i can add more. 😁

Ill be rereading the display your guns thread for some inspiration.  

I keep eyeing up the Hardigg cases on eBay 

The ones that will hold like 10-12 AR’s 😂

The YouTuber Whistlin Diesel has bloody hundreds of them for display, and at like £250 a pop

Thats a lot of spendy!

IMG_2614.jpeg.0ddd89a81585b55fba226a591188fef3.jpeg

I lucked out with my case - £50 from someone who was just about to put it in a skip...

Glad I've got it though, makes it easy to carry my rifles and I can sling it in the boot of the car without worrying. Plus it has doubled up as a nice table on events!

3 hours ago, Jacob Wright said:

I lucked out with my case - £50 from someone who was just about to put it in a skip

Funnily enough i got my first one off Facebook marketplace for £30 because it had been left ourside and was a bit wet and dirty. Second one was £58 off ebay but £20 postage. Still a bit of a bargain though.

Feck it... just ordered one from BBguns4less.

1 minute ago, gavinkempsell said:

Feck it... just ordered one from BBguns4less.

Which one?

Posted (edited)

the XL for £99 odd, only problem was picking the colour. ;)

Wish I'd bought the two from HuttArmouries when I saw them in the classifieds.

https://bbguns4less.co.uk/products/nuprol-extra-large-hard-case-with-wheels-in-black-pick-pluck-foam.html

Edited by gavinkempsell

Just now, gavinkempsell said:

the XL for £99 odd, only problem was picking the colour. ;)

What did you go for?

2 minutes ago, gavinkempsell said:

Nice. Looking forward to your layout pics. 😁

must admit I had my L85A3 case out last night to 'practice' lol. Spent a good bit of time looking for a deeper case but they seem to be a fairly standard 5" internal depth.

The only thing that jumps out at me looking at these photos is you are supposed to leave a certain thickness of foam around each and every item, and also between them (also between layers), which can be as little as ~1 cm for lighter items to at least ~5 cm for bigger items, if you don't leave enough foam around the outer edges or have guns touching each other there won't be enough foam thickness to cushion an impact, in theory

On 03/05/2024 at 14:53, gavinkempsell said:

Nice looking case, very similar to a large Plano case I use (and love). It looks like the latches may be better on the Nuprol. Good luck.

On 01/05/2024 at 09:50, Jez_Armstrong said:

Screenshot_20240417_195101_Instagram.jpg

Nice setup!

How are the magazines in the lid held in place? Just a strap that goes under the foam?

Bloody hell mate you must have arms like Popeye lugging that to a game lol

Looks good though.👍

On 05/05/2024 at 13:05, Caj109 said:

Nice setup!

How are the magazines in the lid held in place? Just a strap that goes under the foam?

From Amazon - roll of Velcro-style tape and buckles. Cut the tape to your own desired sizes. https://amzn.eu/d/asfvnpt

1 minute ago, Davet said:

From Amazon - roll of Velcro-style tape and buckles. Cut the tape to your own desired sizes. https://amzn.eu/d/asfvnpt

How have you attached the velcro to the lid? are they just strapped to the foam upper?

6 minutes ago, gavinkempsell said:

How have you attached the velcro to the lid? are they just strapped to the foam upper?

I’ll post some photos of my case tomorrow - similar layout to @Jez_Armstrong’s - I cut a couple of slots through the base of the foam and then thread the strap through so it wraps around the underside of the foam then meets back up top and buckles/velcroes over whatever item it’s securing.

On 05/05/2024 at 13:05, Caj109 said:

Nice setup!

Still a work in progress…IMG_8621.thumb.jpeg.4f67667fcc03fb22b13d4ec40ea54df2.jpeg

On 03/05/2024 at 20:53, gavinkempsell said:

I’ve got the same case but with the normal foam. Is the pick&pluck foam worth it? At the moment I can chuck everything in without worrying too much but you have to press the lid down quite a bit to close it.

Can you get the pick & plug foam on its own somewhere?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ParHunter said:

I’ve got the same case but with the normal foam. Is the pick&pluck foam worth it? At the moment I can chuck everything in without worrying too much but you have to press the lid down quite a bit to close it.

Not been delivered yet so... dunno.

I think the pluck n pick foam is developed to mould the foam around the pew to hold it securely, sounds like your case is just using compression to hold the items securely and that's why it's tight.

The foam is probably available to buy on it's own, google is your friend. There is another type called shadow foam that you cut the pew's outline into the foam.

Edited by gavinkempsell

57 minutes ago, ParHunter said:

All of the foams do the same basic job of providing padding.

Simple basic foam, uncut will happily compress to hold and protect your equipment.  You can put pretty much anything in the case, in any position and unless it’s too thick preventing you from forcing shut and as long as you don’t put in too much equipment in too close then it will hold and protect. The items may slip around a bit bumping into each other depending on how close and how tight the fit is vs how hefty the items are.

You can cut in to standard foam to make pockets to avoid your equipment sliding and to make shutting easier 

Standard foam can be cut with a knife with good or bad looking results being dependant on how carefully you cut - or use a laser cut

A single piece/layer of foam can be more difficult to cut neatly into the right depths for various different items 

Pick and pluck is typically used in two pieces/layers - one layer as standard foam, and the other piece/layer as a precut grid with small points uncut.  You plan your layout then ‘pick and pluck’ ripping out the squares that you want to place your equipment in.  This results in a pixelated style, or you can cut some of the grid with a knife (or laser cut - but if you’re laser cutting then you’ve defeated the object of using pick & pluck)

Shadow foam is a brand, which comes in multiple colours, eg standard grey on the top layer and a bright colour in the lower layer(s)*.  Therefore when cut to fit your equipment an empty slot is obvious as you can see a coloured ‘shadow’

Shadow foam is inspired by the wall mounted shadow boards traditionally used in workshops, schools and prisons to make it obvious when a tool is missing 

* Note that I have referred to ‘pieces’ and ‘layers’.  These are not technical terms, but just me referring to how many blocks of foam you put into the case.  Normally you could think of it as a top and bottom for the lid and base.  But the bottom / base could be two pieces of foam such as with pick & pluck - one whole block approx half the depth of the base of your case and a second on top that you cut/pluck apart to form the gaps that you insert your equipment in

A single piece of ShadowFoam is made of a number of layers.  When you cut the shape you then peel out a layer of foam.  A thin piece of equipment can be accommodated with one layer peeled out a thicker piece of equipment needs more than one layer peeled out to give greater depth.  

Pick & pluck:

https://youtu.be/dSC2vEVfSIQ?si=rHpqQ2eESKVJ0JE1

Shadow foam:

https://youtu.be/GMBziTVpoWE?si=aIH3vxWDz8aV-A2a