Paint jobs

Hey, I’ve recently acquired a lovely CYMA mp5 but it’s been ruined by a terrible paint job, since I’m boring and have zero creativity i like the original ‘factory look’

anyway, how easy is it to go back to black as it were ? Debating whether or not to just buy new parts…

Advice welcome Please :) 

84801b7f-8314-434a-80da-a32155aaea7a.jpeg

Edited by Jo1906
Typo

• Jo1906 changed the title to Paint jobs

I’ve found acetone free nail varnish remover pretty good , you’ll need to strip it down as far as you can for the best job , use cotton wool pads / balls just use them like they are free , the paint will absorb into them and then start respreading the diluted paint , just draw the paint off in the same direction rather than scrub at it . After that I’d give the plastic parts a refresh with black Krylon .

I've found detol can be good for removing spray paint

Edited by Cannonfodder

Thank you 

Do you think submerging and soaking the front rails might work well?

1 hour ago, JimFromHorsham said:

I’ve found acetone free nail varnish remover pretty good , you’ll need to strip it down as far as you can for the best job , use cotton wool pads / balls just use them like they are free , the paint will absorb into them and then start respreading the diluted paint , just draw the paint off in the same direction rather than scrub at it . After that I’d give the plastic parts a refresh with black Krylon .

35 minutes ago, Jo1906 said:

Thank you 

I wouldn’t advise soaking as such just incase the chinesium anodising goes funny , for odd shapes and awkward pieces I simply use an old tooth brush to work it in then rinse and repeat .

• Supporters

Angle grinder. That'll work.

I'm with you on the factory fresh look. Ignore the haters, BLACK GUNS MATTER!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Jo1906 said:

Thank you 

I would avoid soaking in chemicals etc

Back in the olden days I decided to ‘unpaint’ model figures to redo them, I tested out acetone successfully, then popped some in to soak, and after leaving for not very long I returned to discover highly disfigured figures melting into mush

Keep it simple, test out as others have posted above and stick to rubbing away on the individual pieces 

A long soak in Isopropyl Alcohol should help get rid of a lot of the paint. Shouldn't harm the plastic. My son's ebay-bought used Warhammer models have been left to soak for days with no ill effects.

Back in the day - Fairy Power spray was awesome for removing krylon. Then they changed the recipe...😒

But that MP5 looks cool painted as-is. Black guns are boring anyway....

21 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:...

But that MP5 looks cool painted as-is.

Personal preferences do apply, but I agree

Real life painted weapons are at that level of ‘standard’

It’s to perform a function in the field

• Supporters

The biggest issue I have with getting paint jobs like that off is that they just never really completely come off. There's always a little nook or cranny that stays painted.

Yeah. Can't say I'm a massive fan of painted guns but tan painted MP5s are quite a vibe imo.  As Lozart says, I feel it would be a total pain getting it all off. I know it would bother me if it remained in all little nooks if you were going for total removal.

you'll have a right pain getting that back to standard and it will look crap if you do, even painted black it wont look good, as much as i also like black guns all of mine are now painted

id suggest turning that into a DEVGRU MP5 paintjob

What’s that look like pal?

8 minutes ago, Jo1906 said:

DEVGRU, AKA SEAL team 6 

Mask or remove moving parts, lightly spray in layers, and make some rough patterns.  Avoid too fancy factory type professional camouflage prints and go for a field expedient look …

Like this ….

https://youtu.be/wAeSKtluE-c?si=YozfS8ntxNmoPQlx

12 hours ago, Jo1906 said:

This was my Devgru SD6, granted it has a different front end and stock to yours but you can still paint it the same 

I used an old orange bag, played it over the gun and blasted it with short hits of brown to get the pattern 

IMG-20200814-WA0007.jpg

Edited by Jez_Armstrong

That looks awesome, thanks for the advice