Best Bolt Action Sniper Rifle?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Looking for one that's light, quiet & shoots over 90m (basically everything 😅

Any suggestions? P.s: been using novritsch ssg10 for a year now and just isn't cutting it & not fussed on brand. 

Edited by Sam Hibberd

I've got no idea about sniper rifles but shooting over 90m? Really? Can they shoot, with any sort of accuracy, at that distance? Seems like a very long way, but as I say, I've no idea so it's a genuine question.

• Supporters

What does the SSG10 not do that you expect any other stock gun would do?

I mean, I'm happy with my TAC-41, and SRS owners like theirs too, but I wouldn't claim consistency at a real 90m.  That's the stuff of YouTube fiction.

I've got the Steyr Scout, completely stock except I fitted the mythical H nub. I hit 90+m with it, but I wouldn't dream of saying it was accurate for a YouTube "one shot one kill" at that range. I consider myself a better than average shot and I feel at 90m any more than 3 out of 10 shots that hit a man sized target is a great result. The point, for me, of a sniper is to be able to hit an AEG player at more range than they can reach with their shooter. If a good AEG can average 50-60m but have to be on "spray and pray" mode to hit you with one of 100 bbs, then you only need to be able to accurately hit them at 65-70m, and at that range, the scout is spot on, as I'm sure your SSG10 is.

Edited by Mad dog 49
Spelling

56 minutes ago, Mad dog 49 said:

The point, for me, of a sniper is to be able to hit an AEG player at more range than they can reach with their shooter. If a good AEG can average 50-60m but have to be on "spray and pray" mode to hit you with one of 100 bbs, then you only need to be able to accurately hit them at 65-70m, and at that range...

Which is why my AEG is completely setup / upgraded to shoot nothing lighter than 0.32g and I run my DMR setup / upgraded for no lighter than 0.40g. I can get maybe 90% of other players due to the extra range without them getting me, so if I get hit by someone when at range I bow my head to the better player 👍

I play at the same sites as you with a upgraded Barrett fieldcraft putting out 485 FPS, i am happy to get consistent hits up to 75m with 0.36 or 0.42 but after that it all goes down hill.

At UK 2.3j the goal for accurate shots is 80m I find, anything over that is generally inconsistent/luck to one shot one kill.

What weight and make of BB are you running? (brand is less of an issue now days though) You want to be shooting .45s or above really.

10 hours ago, DanBow said:

I've got no idea about sniper rifles but shooting over 90m? Really? Can they shoot, with any sort of accuracy, at that distance? Seems like a very long way, but as I say, I've no idea so it's a genuine question.

Not at our power limits. I tend to zero my scopes on the 75m target at my local site and I can hit the 85m target semi-consistently as long as there's no wind (can hit it with wind, but there's more luck involved at that point), but anything further is a mix of calculation and luck, as you have to arc the BBs and hope they don't stray off course for whatever reason. At the end of the day, we're firing air or gas powered muskets and they will never be "precision rifles".

In terms of which is the best, that is down to personal preference. For example, a lot of people would disagree with me when I say that the Tanaka m700 platform is the best overall platform because it's gas powered and therefore not quite as consistent as spring or HPA (some people HPA tap the mags, but I prefer the VSR platform for HPA builds). If you spend a lot of time learning exactly how the Tanaka m700 platform works, and you have the patience to tweak it at the start of every game day, then the Tanaka m700 platform is the best since you can still get it more than consistent enough for airsoft, they shoot just as far, just as accurately, the bolt pull is effortless and they're incredibly silent. However, if you don't learn the ins and outs and tweak it every game day then they're awful.

For user-friendliness, I'm very fond of the VSR platform, so anything VSR-based would be my recommendation. If you already have an SSG10, that's what I'd use. Get it running close to 2.3J on at least .45s, but preferably .48s, with a good hop setup and you'll be golden.

Edited by Impulse

As previously stated, 90m at UK power limits is not impossible But indescribably improbable. UK Snipers are typically accurate (With internal tech work done) accurate up to the 70-80m area. Some systems achieve this easier than others, and some systems are able to push range up slightly despite our power limits because of other factors (i.e. Super high volume cylinders push heavier BBs).

Before anything else, do some research on websites with may more info on this topic specifically - https://www.airsoftsniperforum.com has a treasure trove of the nitty gritty details for sniper work. Searching up the platform your about to buy on here usually gives you a wealth of details and such that you'll want to know to get your sniper going as far as it Possibly can.

But to get the lightest, quietest and furthest shooting sniper you can, you've got two options - Tac41 or VSR. VSR is a more well-documented platform. With better support and more tech guides. However, it is a bit harder to get into peak performance (imo) and its generally louder than the Tac-41. On the other hand, the Tac-41 is an easier upgrade. It only Needs a Spring swap to get great range, But for the quiet aspect, you'll also want a WASP or other quiet piston, which is also a pretty easy swap out. Its a little heavier than the VSR, but its not as heavy as the other two Silverback options (SRS and HTI. Above all, slap a decent suppressor on the end of the barrel and that'll do a lot for the noise.

• Supporters
19 hours ago, Impulse said:

preferably .48s

Armed with the knowledge that ABS or PLA only masses about 0.2g, and 5.95mm of steel is about 0.86g, where would your conscience draw the line?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.