I've tried to clean my inner barrel.

Yashy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

My first outdoor game, amazing!

Anyway. I just got home and the gun did go through a lot so I wanted to just clean the inner barrel (without) opening the gun. So I put a paper towel on the rod and slowly stuck the rod inside, I did it slowly in a circular motion. I was met with a lot of resistant and I manage to push through and clean the the upper part of the barrel a tiny bit. I'm to scared to go full down incase i damage something on the way.

However, when i took the rod out, this is the colour that came out. A bit yellowish and orangyIMG_3029.jpg

Just wondering if I have done anything wrong, am I removing the grease or the oil in the barrel? I've stopped whatever I'm doing, really don't want to damage the inner barrel. sorry for sounding stupid.

9 minutes ago, Yashy said:

My first outdoor game, amazing!

Anyway. I just got home and the gun did go through a lot so I wanted to just clean the inner barrel (without) opening the gun. So I put a paper towel on the rod and slowly stuck the rod inside, I did it slowly in a circular motion. I was met with a lot of resistant and I manage to push through and clean the the upper part of the barrel a tiny bit. I'm to scared to go full down incase i damage something on the way.

However, when i took the rod out, this is the colour that came out. A bit yellowish and orangyIMG_3029.jpg

Just wondering if I have done anything wrong, am I removing the grease or the oil in the barrel? I've stopped whatever I'm doing, really don't want to damage the inner barrel. sorry for sounding stupid.

It does look like you are clearing some grease from the barrel, which is a good thing.  There will be some resistance but, if it is too much, use less cleaning rag.  I would not use a paper towel, though.  Use something softer to reduce the risk of scratching the barrel; I use strips of J-Cloth with Isopropyl alcohol.  Make sure you do not damage the hop rubber.  It is better to take the barrel out of the gun to do it, if possible; that enables you to get a good look down the barrel to make sure it is clean.

8 minutes ago, Colin Allen said:

It does look like you are clearing some grease from the barrel, which is a good thing.  There will be some resistance but, if it is too much, use less cleaning rag.  I would not use a paper towel, though.  Use something softer to reduce the risk of scratching the barrel; I use strips of J-Cloth with Isopropyl alcohol.  Make sure you do not damage the hop rubber.  It is better to take the barrel out of the gun to do it, if possible; that enables you to get a good look down the barrel to make sure it is clean.

can I use the soft cloth that comes when cleaning a sight you know the one that you clean the glasses lenses with? the little yellow tiny thing? The only reason why I don't want to open up my gun is cause i know I'll break it and my anxiety will just skyrocket and constantly think I've broken the gun, I cant be trusted! 

16 minutes ago, Yashy said:

can I use the soft cloth that comes when cleaning a sight you know the one that you clean the glasses lenses with? the little yellow tiny thing? The only reason why I don't want to open up my gun is cause i know I'll break it and my anxiety will just skyrocket and constantly think I've broken the gun, I cant be trusted! 

That would be fine.  Where did you play?

3 minutes ago, Yashy said:

played at Goal airsoft! 

In Oakham?

1 minute ago, Yashy said:

yeah that one!

It looks good!

If you don't want to take the gun apart then at least make sure the hop off is dialled off completely, that's the easiest but to damage.

To be honest I've often used bits of kitchen roll, it didn't occur to me that it could any harm!  

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Just now, Colin Allen said:

It looks good!

quick question, I currently dont have any IPA atm, Can I just cut it up and just clean it without anything? just wanna do a temporary clean so it will remove anything heavy. Then I'll get IPA as its still on order.

Just now, RostokMcSpoons said:

If you don't want to take the gun apart then at least make sure the hop off is dialled off completely, that's the easiest but to damage.

To be honest I've often used bits of kitchen roll, it didn't occur to me that it could any harm!  

It probably won't in any meaningful way, but soft cloth is safer.

1 minute ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

How would I hop off dial off? I adjusted it for gameplay today.

Just now, Yashy said:

quick question, I currently dont have any IPA atm, Can I just cut it up and just clean it without anything? just wanna do a temporary clean so it will remove anything heavy. Then I'll get IPA as its still on order.

Yes, you can; it just works better with IPA.

Just now, Yashy said:

How would I hop off dial off? I adjusted it for gameplay today.

Just dial it back so there is no hop applied.

1 minute ago, Colin Allen said:

How do I dial it back, sorry im sounding so stupid. Im still very new. Do I just go up or down with it, and how will i know if the hop up is dialled off? any videos?

Take this as example, from this view (and the receiver opening) if you turn the dial down, it means up, the hop rubber will come down, and the BB will go up

(seriously just turn counter-clockwise to reduce hop, which is what you are trying to do in your situation)

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Pseudotectonic said:

Take this as example, from this view (and the receiver opening) if you turn the dial down, it means up, the hop rubber will come down, and the BB will go up

(seriously just turn counter-clockwise to reduce hop, which is what you are trying to do in your situation)

spacer.png

21 minutes ago, Colin Allen said:

Alright. I will do that next time I clean.

I did not touch the hop up, however I just got a bit of cloth and just slowly cleaned the barrel - I did not go full length, only half the gun and no dirt came out. 

I just chrono'd it after cleaning. at 1J im hitting 292-296 fps and the fps when I started, I was actually hitting 298-300, Is that something gone wrong or is that normal?

Just now, Pseudotectonic said:

maybe fire a few more shots to clean out the lint/dirt that got pushed

yeah, did that. Still hitting kinda low fps. Could It just be the adjusted hopup or the battery? 

Assuming the cleaning rod came with the gun. Have a look at it, sometimes they mark the cleaning rod at the inner barrel length. If it doesn't it I recommend marking it with tape to make cleanginy easier in the future 

8 hours ago, ak2m4 said:

I wanted to test the theory of barrel scratches, I took 3 barrels, brass, aluminium and stainless steel.  Did a borescope video before on all 3, then used a nylon cleaner brush 15 passes on each one, then cleaned with tissue and isopropanol, then another borescope video.  I was expecting perhaps some scratch on the brass but nothing on any of them.  Just be 2 cents worth.  

@Yashy Have a watch on YT at how to remove and clean an inner barrel, it will also explain to you about how to clean and remove the hop chamber and hop rubber.   If you plan on playing quite a lot this information will really help you get the most out of your AEG.

Interesting!  I will be rough with them in future.

I use Napier rifle clean, comes in a box and you simply cut off a small piece, then cut a width to go through the cleaning rod opening.

IMG_7121.jpeg

Edited by novioman

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.