A Call for Revolution: Supercapacitors in Airsoft

Pseudotectonic

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Awesome. 👍

I knew those years studying electronics wouldn't be a waste. I'm a bit rusty but the theory stacks up ok in my head. I'll read it again when I'm awake a bit more tomorrow. 

• Supporters

Interesting idea.

It does raise a few questions;

-how does it fare with precocking? Intuitively the motor having to fire up with additional load might inferr even more benefits from a higher current supply at startup.

-is this more space effecient than the same space used for a chunkier battery that's capable of a higher burst current?

-wonder how the current crop of brushless motors handle it, possibly they have current limiting built in which might negate any benefit, although i suppose the key selling point for this is being a more cost effective alternative to acheive the same result.

Many moons ago i did have a crack at the ol' using a big solenoid to pull the spring idea (idea being the trigger would be entirely mechanical), but mans isn't an electrical engineer so that went about as badly as you'd expect. That was using conventional capacitors though which were chunky, kinda makes me want to dust off the ol' emp generator.

I love this kind of research/investigation.

You are using the caps to compensate for the batteries and nothing wrong with that, the data says it improves them.

Would you see further improvement if you used a lipo?

Since you are drawing comparisons with them it would seem a good idea to find out if a super capped NiMh comes close to a lipo, or life perhaps and go some way to validate your summary, which it needs since there's some claims in it.

It should be noted that the ESR for the cap pack is 300mOhms, a NiMh (9.6v) pack 60 to 100mOhms and a lipo (7.4v) 6 to 20mOhms.

@Adolf Hamster

Precocking: should benefit even more, yes.

More space efficient than simply another battery for surge power: yes.

Brushless motors: possibly can still benefit from the more stable system voltage, but someone needs to test this.

Linear solenoid: very interesting idea, but I think it also has to do with the architecture of an M4 (or any rifle shaped object) and how to make use of the space, and I suspect using solenoids may not be the most effective strategy in terms of making use of the space available to translate electricity into moving a piston of a particular shape, I don't know. Btw, the Systema PTW Infinity gearbox is somewhat innovative in this regard and I suspect their design may be a step in the right direction. Although I'm not entirely sure considering complexity and cost etc.

@Sewdhull

Many thanks, for LiPo, yes it should still benefit from it (but not as much as NiMH I would imagine), the graphs were measured with an 11.1 LiPo so certainly the theory would still apply.

Not sure about LiFe batteries but I would think the premise still stands, my understanding is LiFe does not have dramatically improved peak current over LiPo, the only advantage seems to be in safety if I'm not mistaken.

Good point about ESR. The guy at Airsoft Lab actually says something similar about ESR being more informative than the C rating. (see below)

And by the way, someone from Reddit questioned the voltage sag which prompted my to re-examine the whole voltage sag issue. I have noticed I have actually read the graph wrong and in those examples the voltage is not sagging as much as I thought (the vertical scale is off for the blue voltage curves), however, upon investigating this subject the same website is proven useful again with http://airsoftlab.eu/docs/opinions/c_rating/ which actually shows the Vdrop of several LiPo batteries at different current amps. And I think the data is potentially very interesting (I will just repeat what I typed in Reddit below) and potentially making supercaps even more useful:

• The Vdrop at nominal currents are wildly different from one LiPo to another
  • Their top of the line LiPo of 2.2 Ah (which is too big for an M4 stock anyway) can do 110A with just 5.5% Vdrop
  • However the other brands which are probably more representative of your average LiPo (used by "teenagers") goes from doing ~30A with 15% to 25% Vdrop, to 72A with 50% Vdrop (!)
  • If we extrapolate the data we can assume the average LiPo inside an M4 at 60A is going to Vdrop in the region of 40+% albeit ± a big margin with different brands
  • So the assumptions are really not too far off at all, and depending on your LiPo brand (which is really a mystery because no one has tested all of them) the benefits can skyrocket if you happen to have a below average LiPo unknowingly, which is 50% of the chance!!!

40% voltage sag is a big assumption, I know, but the key take away is LiPo quality vary so much that I think 40-50% voltage sag at 60A (as I understood originally) is still entirely within the realm of possibility, even with very good probability, so much so it only reinforces the whole premise of using supercaps to plug the gap in surge power performance, in my opinion.

I can see why benefit is derived from the addition of supercaps with NiMh batteries, because NiMh is inferior in current delivery, by a long way in comparison to lithium batteries.

I can tell you that just as lithiums have wild variance in quality, so too do Nimh or Nicads for that matter, but you'll notice it less because they are generally lower performing.

I suppose what I was suggesting before was that as useful as adding caps to NiMh batteries might be there's no reason to suppose it is as well performing as a lithium, nor that there would be anything to be gained from adding caps to lithiums. You could easily run the tests to show what happens, id be interested.

-Airsoftlabs is calculating the currents, from IR values derived from experimental data with a 70% variance from a simple load model and choosing the one that suits. It is important to understand that IR varies by load, time, state of charge and method used, probably some other things too. A battery isn't a resistor, proper devices measure IR taking account of battery resistance, capacitance and inductance. Certainly you could compare the same battery over time to see its health and snapshot the IR for a specific circumstance. I use my meter to monitor battery health and see if what I have bought is as good as what I have. I couldn't use the data to compare my batteries to the data sheets with any accuracy.

-You wont see volt drops like Airsoftlabs says because its not possible to drop voltage and maintain the current. They are calculations from data, hypothetical.

-You cant extrapolate because of the above line.

-You can't make any assumptions if you are being sciency, you can measure data and draw conclusions.

Airsoft labs did some cool experimentation, i wish there was more, but more sciency.

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Pseudotectonic said:

Linear solenoid: very interesting idea, but I think it also has to do with the architecture of an M4 (or any rifle shaped object) and how to make use of the space, and I suspect using solenoids may not be the most effective strategy in terms of making use of the space available to translate electricity into moving a piston of a particular shape, I don't know. Btw, the Systema PTW Infinity gearbox is somewhat innovative in this regard and I suspect their design may be a step in the right direction. Although I'm not entirely sure considering complexity and cost etc.

Yeah the packaging isn't the easiest, the coil i made was vaguely m4 buffer tube dimensions but it would have left zero room for the electronic side of things.

I have heard of a few folk having almost success over the years, and there's the semi-mythical bo dynamics system. Tbh mine was exactly the half-baked uni project that was never going to go anywhere.

@Sewdhull Yeah definitely a lot more testing and more data is going to give more insights, but again I don't have the equipments for this, but I am hoping anyone can just make their own units and test the working principles which should be the same even if the components are similar

I think I have dropped enough hints as to what supercaps I am using and how to actually wire them, but the working bits are really not complicated, the one I built is using some 3F supercaps, they are just wired in series to make total 1F with 18V headroom, and then parallel with the batteries, I mean I think the photo alone should have enough information, but for avoidance of doubt the drain resistor is a 2.2k ohm 1W, and the LED has a built-in resistor so I don't need another one for current limiting, plus the wires, plus the heatshrinks, plus the deans, that is literally all the parts

@Adolf Hamster Is it the Lonex BAW system? Never seen this before, very interesting, it seems they are using the buffer tube as some sort of recoil system but the gearbox seems to be a traditional v2 gearbox

I guess if there is ever a linear solenoid system, probably the best way is use some off the shelf units if there is one that fits (I have no idea), for cost and repairability reasons

Had a read through as "back in the day" I used to work in car audio and there was occasionally the ask for a "power cap" from some of the boy racers, they liked the LED flashing lights and display on them.

Back then it was always the answer of - ok-ish if you want something very quick and wasn't too hard on the draw, otherwise if your bass note dropped low and stayed there, it was additional strain on your battery trying to supply the amp and the cap simultaneously.

In the given examples, I would imagine that semi response I guess "should" be likened to a paced tight beat but I would imagine a long pull on auto would be like dropping low for a few seconds (so not advised?)

Good read. Thank you.

Edited by Steveocee

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Pseudotectonic said:

Is it the Lonex BAW system? Never seen this before, very interesting, it seems they are using the buffer tube as some sort of recoil system but the gearbox seems to be a traditional v2 gearbox

Dont think so, iirc the company was bo dynamics, they made a promo video about it revolutionising airsoft then the whole thing went dark with the rumour mill churning out things like they'd been contracted for special forces training systems and werent allowed to sell them to the public.

The whole thing was semi-mythical could well have been folk reading too much into intentionally vague marketing material.

7 hours ago, Steveocee said:

Had a read through as "back in the day" I used to work in car audio and there was occasionally the ask for a "power cap" from some of the boy racers, they liked the LED flashing lights and display on them.

Back then it was always the answer of - ok-ish if you want something very quick and wasn't too hard on the draw, otherwise if your bass note dropped low and stayed there, it was additional strain on your battery trying to supply the amp and the cap simultaneously.

In the given examples, I would imagine that semi response I guess "should" be likened to a paced tight beat but I would imagine a long pull on auto would be like dropping low for a few seconds (so not advised?)

Good read. Thank you.

Lipo packs are used now to even the battery load for hi power in car entertainment. Its not my thing, but interesting none the less.

9 hours ago, Pseudotectonic said:

@Sewdhull Yeah definitely a lot more testing and more data is going to give more insights, but again I don't have the equipments for this, but I am hoping anyone can just make their own units and test the working principles which should be the same even if the components are similar

I think I have dropped enough hints as to what supercaps I am using and how to actually wire them, but the working bits are really not complicated, the one I built is using some 3F supercaps, they are just wired in series to make total 1F with 18V headroom, and then parallel with the batteries, I mean I think the photo alone should have enough information, but for avoidance of doubt the drain resistor is a 2.2k ohm 1W, and the LED has a built-in resistor so I don't need another one for current limiting, plus the wires, plus the heatshrinks, plus the deans, that is literally all the parts

@Adolf Hamster Is it the Lonex BAW system? Never seen this before, very interesting, it seems they are using the buffer tube as some sort of recoil system but the gearbox seems to be a traditional v2 gearbox

I guess if there is ever a linear solenoid system, probably the best way is use some off the shelf units if there is one that fits (I have no idea), for cost and repairability reasons

You should definitely try the same experiment with a lipo instead of a nimh. Also a lipo alone to see how much the caps compensate for the NiMH  batteries. Conducting the experiment on the same set up allows you to compare where others would have to do the entire suite of tests from scratch.

I posit there would still be some benefit to be had, esp if the capacitor esr could be reduced. Certainly you don't need that much capacitance, but the esr gets higher with smaller caps because the electrode area decreases so its tricky to find parts with small size enough capacitance and high enough rated voltage.

I used anti surge xt90s on drones because of the surge of current into the electronics when batteries were connected, it was quite a pop connecting 20Ah of 26v to the things, im doubtful there's enough draw with caps, unless you get their esr down.

The stroke is very short for a solenoid, as magnetism works best close up, like our motors ( put the magnets closer to the armature and the motor performance rises)

You want something like a linear motor dragging the the piston back, but i wonder how well they miniaturise.

Brushless motors are like a linear motor curved back on itself, the airsoft ones have 6 poles, but the drone type can have many more.

18 hours ago, Sewdhull said:

Airsoftlabs is calculating the currents, from IR values derived from experimental data with a 70% variance from a simple load model and choosing the one that suits. It is important to understand that IR varies by load, time, state of charge and method used, probably some other things too. A battery isn't a resistor, proper devices measure IR taking account of battery resistance, capacitance and inductance.

[...]

Airsoft labs did some cool experimentation, i wish there was more, but more sciency.

I don't understand what you mean here, could you elaborate?

I did not calculate currents from IR (because IR is unknown) but the other way around - I calculated IR at currents cloe to the nominal current (as "specified" by C-rating) by measuring the voltage drop. I don't know what you mean by 70% variance.

I agree you can't expect the battery will have the same IR over different loads, it won't remain the same over time too. That wasn't my point when I did those measurements, though. I think the numbers showed that C-rating can't be used to reason about the performance of the battery for our purposes, as some batteries will have a very significant Vdrop despite having better C-rating.

So, what would you suggest to improve in my measurements (apart from bigger sample size) so they are more scinecy?

Edited by kadamski

1 hour ago, kadamski said:

I don't understand what you mean here, could you elaborate?

I did not calculate currents from IR (because IR is unknown) but the other way around - I calculated IR at currents cloe to the nominal current (as "specified" by C-rating) by measuring the voltage drop. I don't know what you mean by 70% variance.

Hi, Love that you're doing this type of thing...

I concur that C rating is not greatly useful, but IR can be, certainly for comparison.

Standard IR measurements are either using DC in 2 stages or an AC meter. I use mine just to monitor battery health.

Firstly the variance I mention is from IR calculations, in the IR meter report, using the same current but over different time periods leading to different IR values and another IR value in the C rating report. IR values probably vary more than that depending on who knows what else. We have from about 12 to about 21mOhms. That variance is expected, but it limits the usefulness of IR since it is specific to a set of circumstances.

Your table, for the C ratings says they are measurements, the last 3 columns, say nominal values. Nominal current, volts drop and %. You don't discuss your method so it seems like you have measured the IR ,measurements in the table, put it in the table and calculated the nominal values, I realise you have to calculate a %. Nominal is a word used to describe something in name only or a specification, not a measurement or used or actual value. You don't mention the voltage of the batteries but the volts drop of the GPX would indicate 7.4v was used which is not a fully charged battery, unless it was but you used the nominal 7.4v for 2S Lipos.                                                                                                                  

Then when discussing the GPX battery you say it 'would' drop its voltage by half at because of it's IR when 'does' indicate a thing that has happened. You use 'would' again for another battery. 

Having said the above if you did indeed draw 72A from that pack and halve its voltage and calculated the IR from that, I apologise for the comments. This bit ' not possible to drop voltage and maintain the current'  is wrong, I meant something else which is irrelevant if the IR is calculated.

1 hour ago, kadamski said:

I agree you can't expect the battery will have the same IR over different loads, it won't remain the same over time too. That wasn't my point when I did those measurements, though. I think the numbers showed that C-rating can't be used to reason about the performance of the battery for our purposes, as some batteries will have a very significant Vdrop despite having better C-rating.

So, what would you suggest to improve in my measurements (apart from bigger sample size) so they are more scinecy?

I think the C rating can't be used either, it has been my experience that only occasionally has it reflected the current supply ability of the cells.

The key when conducting some sort of experiment is for the reader to be able to replicate your experiment so all the necessary information must be present for that to happen. A precise duplication of your results probably wont be possible but the same basis of your experiment must be possible.

Standard terminology, a repeatable framework ( aim, hypothesis, method , results, discussion, conclusion). Where you have diagrams or pictures etc, they have to be clear. 

When looking at the motor current experiment you did, which I really liked over all, there's no baseline motor speed measurement shown but you refer to it and it's relevant as this will tell you where the motors sit in the speed or torque camp. You may not have had the means to measure it, but without it it's harder to make meaningful comparisons.

One thing that puzzled me was why the inrush current changed with a stiffer spring, it's not as if the motor windings reduce in resistance to draw more current. Did you do multiple runs or just one of each set up, because you have anomalous results. But great work anyway and valuable.

You've probably looked at the Airsoft Trajectory project, a large experiment, a good example. A lot of work tho.

Here's an example of a small experiment, https://www.powerstream.com/lithium-phosphate-charge-voltage.htm

My background is many years in a lab, a lifetime of engineering, some law enforcement, education and about to take my first pension :)

I can perhaps chip in about the motor question, if we go by this graph (another semi-educated guesstimation of mine) 16 TPA is on the high speed side, and 28 TPA would be in the high torque camp.

SpringvsTPA.PNG.cbdd043177d7f2454efa2483dffa252e.PNG

And about spring vs current, the higher the load, the higher the current draw from any motor, that is completely normal and not anomalous at all

No, it was the inrush current that was getting higher that puzzled me.

You can equate the inrush current to the current to the current the motor takes when stalled. If there's a big spring stalling the motor the current should be the same if its a small spring.

It's possible that different rotor positions on start up mean it takes longer to get going so the current gets closer to the stall current in the time the measurement can be taken, but I don't know. hence the puzzlement.

I have a couple of watt meters which will display the current but its not continuous sampling, its periodic. One has a neat graph thing but displays the peak amps also.

Setting aside the build quality of motors, high TPA motors with lower currents will always be the most electrically efficient, but if you want speed at the sector gear you'll need appropriate gears, which may not exist for some applications, like a high speed build with a high torque motor. 

11 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Typical airsoft player:

image.png.c1383b83f4149afb86b239bc0c15c8d4.png

Semi-conductor-seriously though: supercapacitors + NiMH?  Seems a bit like...

jet-c5.jpg.d881930d584271af48a5d9291cc3ebb0.jpg

Whilst The NiMH and caps might be outdone by lithium, it is possible that caps and lithium will yield some benefit. Altho part of the rationale was not use lithium for a number of reasons and close the gap between the two types.

Inrush in this context if the current the motor would take when it's not rotating.

When you first apply power the current the motor will take is just the voltage applied divided by the resistance of it's windings.

As the motor rotates the magnets create an opposing voltage in the windings which effectively reduces the voltage applied to the windings.

As the motor rotates faster there's more opposing voltage until the point where the motor cannot go faster.

This is why more voltage spins the same motor faster.

The inrush current starts at it's max then reduces as speed increases, because the effective voltage in the windings reduces (the resistance remains the same) until the point is reached where the amount of current becomes stable.

Current then rises with load because the voltage reduces as the motor slows because of the load and speed becomes stable at the new load.

The power dissipated in the windings increases with the square of the current and this power heats the motor (with some help from the commutator and bearings from friction and contact resistance.

Torque, the turning force in the motor, is created the magnetic field generated by the current, interacting with the permanent magnets magnetic field.

More current, more torque...Stronger magnets , more torque...more turns, more torque.

Higher speed motors go faster than slower ones because they have fewer windings for the permanent magnets to generate an opposing voltage in and so for the same motor speed fewer windings generate less opposing voltage and a faster max speed.

You can fit fatter wire on the armature with fewer windings so that the motor can take more current to try to get more torque on a fast motor.

More windings is more efficient because the heat (waste) generated is linear with resistance, but exponential with current.

I have deliberately avoided things like commutator timing.

I thought it is common knowledge that higher load means higher current, and that of course includes the initial spike, and the measurements confirm that. I am not sure what you are trying to get at, but I think if you are trying to theorise higher load will not induce higher current, not sure if that is a feasible exercise because I think it goes against conventional wisdom and also empirical data.

If you are talking about the micro events at speeds of electromagnetic waves (which approaches speed of light) maybe you are onto something but I don't think this affects the "macro" effects of higher load inducing a higher inrush current.

https://youtu.be/O-WCZ8PkrK0?feature=shared&t=666

On 18/12/2023 at 19:28, Sewdhull said:

Standard IR measurements are either using DC in 2 stages or an AC meter. I use mine just to monitor battery health.

Can you elaborate on this standard IR measurements. What you mean by using DC in 2 stages?

In any case, the better chargers does show/measure the IR value. My standard method of measuring the IR value was to use 1Ohm load and check the voltage drop. The values displayed by my charger where roughly the same than the ones I got this way.

Firstly the variance I mention is from IR calculations, in the IR meter report, using the same current but over different time periods leading to different IR values and another IR value in the C rating report. IR values probably vary more than that depending on who knows what else. We have from about 12 to about 21mOhms. That variance is expected, but it limits the usefulness of IR since it is specific to a set of circumstances.

I did explain that difference in the IR on the "cheap IR meter" page. What I did not specifically mention, though, is that when I use "IR" term, I mean "IR at some specific conditions". Like, when the battery is fully charged, when the load is 1 Ohm, when it is kept under load for 1s, when it is new, etc. Changing any of this, changes the IR (although not always in significant way). I might have explained that more clearly.

Your table, for the C ratings says they are measurements, the last 3 columns, say nominal values. Nominal current, volts drop and %. You don't discuss your method so it seems like you have measured the IR ,measurements in the table, put it in the table and calculated the nominal values, I realise you have to calculate a %. Nominal is a word used to describe something in name only or a specification, not a measurement or used or actual value. You don't mention the voltage of the batteries but the volts drop of the GPX would indicate 7.4v was used which is not a fully charged battery, unless it was but you used the nominal 7.4v for 2S Lipos.                                                                                                                  

Then when discussing the GPX battery you say it 'would' drop its voltage by half at because of it's IR when 'does' indicate a thing that has happened. You use 'would' again for another battery. 

My "C rating" post was in the "opinions" section. Probably that is why I was so short and not well described. Even I couldn't figure out what exact method I used to produce this table, which is bad. But my other page "Batteries review" describes this a little bit better.

Anyways, the table has "Nominal Current", which means the current the C rating is allowing (I do understand this term might not be the best, but this is how I called it). So the Rhino battery is 2.2Ah and has 50C so the "nominal current" was assumed to be 110A. Of course measuring anything at that high current isn't easy so I did the IR measurements at lower currents but I expect the IR to only grow at higher currents, not drop, so this is still the "best case scenario". I also did not see a big variance in the IR (as the ratio of Vdrop and current) when the current was doubled for a given battery. So the calculations, for the sake of simplicity, are assuming the IR is similar for any current up to the "nominal current as specified by C rating". So, I calculated the IR by measuring Vdrop at say, 10A or 20A and then used that value to extrapolate the Vdrop that would happen if the battery was loaded with the "nominal" (again, as allowed by C rating) current.
This was a quick test just to show that C-rating is just arbitrary and one can't, contrary to common myth, use this value to reason about the battery behaviour under load. The voltage the battery has under load is an important factor for me. So saying a battery is OK to be used with currents of 40C while at this current it drops its voltage by at least 50% is inappropriate in my opinion and that was all I wanted to show in this short article.

Having said the above if you did indeed draw 72A from that pack and halve its voltage and calculated the IR from that, I apologise for the comments. This bit ' not possible to drop voltage and maintain the current'  is wrong, I meant something else which is irrelevant if the IR is calculated.

Something went wrong with this paragraph as I can't understand the meaning of that. In any case, I can modulate how much current my load takes and obviously the bigger the current, the bigger the Vdrop. But some batteries will drop more voltage at the same current, some will drop more, depending on their IR.

I think the C rating can't be used either, it has been my experience that only occasionally has it reflected the current supply ability of the cells.

Yes, that was the exact conclusion of my article there - C rating does not reflect the current supply ability of the cells. IR is much better at that. But it is also not a constant value in the function of the load or time. The manufacturers could come up with some value that reflects the situation a little bit better, like "how much current can I roughly take from this battery for a period of 1s so that the voltage does not drop more than 10% at full capacity" or something like that. But nothing beats proper graphs showing the situation at different conditions.

The key when conducting some sort of experiment is for the reader to be able to replicate your experiment so all the necessary information must be present for that to happen. A precise duplication of your results probably wont be possible but the same basis of your experiment must be possible.

Standard terminology, a repeatable framework ( aim, hypothesis, method , results, discussion, conclusion). Where you have diagrams or pictures etc, they have to be clear.

That is completely true. But writing such an article requires not only much more work but also usually involvement of some other people, like reviewers. Like, it's often hard to asses what is obvious and what is not, if you are the one who writes the article. Reviewer may easily spot that, though. That being said, this "C-rating" article was in the "opinions" section, the articles in "experiments" section are a little bit better at that.

When looking at the motor current experiment you did, which I really liked over all, there's no baseline motor speed measurement shown but you refer to it and it's relevant as this will tell you where the motors sit in the speed or torque camp. You may not have had the means to measure it, but without it it's harder to make meaningful comparisons.

One thing that puzzled me was why the inrush current changed with a stiffer spring, it's not as if the motor windings reduce in resistance to draw more current. Did you do multiple runs or just one of each set up, because you have anomalous results. But great work anyway and valuable.

You know, I was not aiming at writing a scientific paper grade article and my time and resources where limited. I did do multiple runs and choose the most common/typical one for each configuration. To me, this change of current with different springs was expected - the more stiff spring creates higher resistance so the current must be bigger to start the motor. If you disconnect the motor from the gearbox and let it run freely, the "inrush" current is also much smaller.
Now, I guess, the problem is again in the usage of "inrush current" term. My measuring equipment has a limited resolution/bandwidth so the actual, theoretical current peak may be the same for each setup (and it lasts some fractions of millisecond), but I can't measure that. Instead I can in practice see just the "average" current over some short periods and this is what I see on the scope. This is what I am in fact more interested in - how much current the motor takes in the first few tens of milliseconds after starting but before settling on a max speed. That takes many revolutions of the motor and this obviously is influenced by the resistance the gearbox and the spring gives.

You've probably looked at the Airsoft Trajectory project, a large experiment, a good example. A lot of work tho.

I also read many scientific papers. Of different quality. Creating a very good quality one is just *tons* of work. I did not aim at that. My aim was to do some measurements and describe them so that they are not lost. This was, in my eyes, much more than most people in airsoft do and that is why there are so many myths here. But I didn't care too much about someone being able to reproduce my experiment but I did want to describe my experiments properly and I did not succeed fully. Even if scientific method should aim for that, this is often not met in the officially published scientific papers so I feel excused for my results published on some random website :)

All in all, the most important conclusion from the perspective of the original discussion here is that the trigger response and RoF in classic airsoft gun (without precocking, etc) depends highly on the capabilities of the battery. The biggest struggle for the battery is at the spinup of the motor as the current is very high and this may make the battery drop a lot of voltage. The smaller the voltage, the slower the motor reaches full speed and thus the worse trigger response. The max speed will also vary between batteries because the speed depends on the voltage and this depends on the voltage drop caused by the current.
I can see how the supercapacitor could help the battery at the motor spinup time, when the current draw is the highest, providing the ESR of the capacitor is low enough for the current to be taken from the capacitor and not the battery itself in large portion. As was said here several times, this would have the biggest impact with NiMH batteries, and I expect it to be much smaller with beefy LiPO. I someone prefers using NiMH battery, such an approach with capacitors may give you some noticeable benefits. Would that help with LiPO? That would have to be checked. It is possible, though, especially with cheaper ones. Problem is - space. The batteries tend to be able to provide more current if they are physically bigger. So by the time you add the size of those caps to the size of the battery, you might get similar or better results by just switching to some bigger battery. Depending on the cost of the caps, it might also be cheaper. The caps, on the other hand, could be reused after switching the battery in very long games and may have a bigger lifetime. All in all, it would be good to measure if there is a noticable difference when using caps with LiPO batteries.

3 hours ago, Pseudotectonic said:

I thought it is common knowledge that higher load means higher current, and that of course includes the initial spike, and the measurements confirm that. I am not sure what you are trying to get at, but I think if you are trying to theorise higher load will not induce higher current, not sure if that is a feasible exercise because I think it goes against conventional wisdom and also empirical data.

If you are talking about the micro events at speeds of electromagnetic waves (which approaches speed of light) maybe you are onto something but I don't think this affects the "macro" effects of higher load inducing a higher inrush current.

https://youtu.be/O-WCZ8PkrK0?feature=shared&t=666

Inrush current or peak current, not to be confused with current under load. 

So the maximum current a motor can take is when it's not turning. Inrush begins here and is not dependant on load, unless ofcourse that load stops the motor turning. Once turning the current drops until some sort of equalibrium is reached.

I can't describe that more clearly than in the previous post.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.