GBBR thoughts...

gavinkempsell

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Following on from a conversation on the forum earlier tonight it got me thinking...

I know I'll get myself a GBBR at some point in the new year and would like some of your opinions please.

I tend to buy versions of pews I don't already own (a mix of props, replica's & AEG's) but like a mix of each 'type' and have aquired a few AR15's, AK's, Bullpups etc, each one is slightly different from the next, but I tend to use my SCAR or L85A2 in game & bring a third to use if I fancy a change, a pew is too hot or fails, basically I'd like to use each in my collection but like some more than others.

So, I'm looking at getting either...

a Tan Scar-H GBBR(WE seems to be the only choice)

or an M4A1 SOCOM GBBR(but I already have 2 AEG's)(like the idea of the realistic take down)

or an H&K 417 GBBR(for some reason I'm not keen on the 416 looks, despite being almost identical IMO)

or Mk18 GBBR

Do you have any strong opinions regarding any of these? (yes I've read through the other posts in the forum dut they tend to be focussed on one pew).

My budget is likely to be around the £500 mark with some wiggle room, mag prices seem to be fairly standard from most sites so that's a seperate budget.

or do you have any other suggestions for a GBBR?

Edited by gavinkempsell

Stock answer will be an MWS, and from personal experience, they are superb with lots of third party support. If you're after a MK18, I'd be tempted to buy the cheaper CQB-R and adding your own externals, purely down to the barrel nut issue. Having said that, there are a few options for  barrel nut tools now.

I think you're right on the SCAR front, that you're limited to WE. Can't comment on their GBBRs, but I have to say I've had a few pistols, and they've all been fine. 

I'm really interested by the increased range that VFC are putting out, or releasing next year, so that may be worth a look. I know they seem to have had some QC issues in the past, but from what I can gather, the current generation are much better.  They also have the official HK licence...

Vfc gbbr’s are supposed to be really good, I haven’t owned one so cant give an opinion.

if you want a cheap -stick your toe in

GHK’s G5 is really good, and nice and lightweight with nice recoil

it runs m4 mags, which are expensive to buy new, feedlips have a tendency to shit the bed (they crack) if hamfisted loading is carried out. DevilHunter makes cnc feedlips, expensive but will outlast you!

Failing that, TM’s MP7 is also supposed to be superb

just a couple of options over an MWS

Or try something a bit more “out there” 

Ghk AUG, VFC FAL etc

Edited by Enid_Puceflange

I'm an avid GBBR user, took an aeg to the last game day as an extra back up as the weather was looking cold. Used the aeg for about half a game before I got bored of it and switched over to the L85 that ran faultlessly for the rest of the day Lol

The MWS does seem to have a devoted following, and I'm sure it is an amazing platform, however most of mine are WE. I run an L119 A1 and an A2 , the L85 G36 and G3  all WE , The L85 was the first , an airsoft jumble purchase that I rebuilt, so when I started on the 119's it made sense to stick with WE for mag compataility.

My take on the WE platforms is that the M4 platform is excellent, mine get a M/L rubber and Omega nub and one has a crazy jet barrel. They have proved to be completely reliable and have been my main go to guns for two or three years now. Setting the hop is a bit of a faff due to it's location, although my patented hop adjusting tool makes it easier, but once set, the hop is stable and rarely needs another tweak. I'm running .30's in all by GBBRs which are a good compromise, but they will easily lift heavier.

As well as mine I have also built 2 other 119's for mates on WE base. The only failure across all of them is on one of those and is due to operator error, somw numpty charged it whilst on safe and caused some damage to the trigger box . In that case I dropped in an RA tec trigger box as I had one in my spares stash which I had never bothered to fit to mine. 

Spares if required are cheap and easy to get , other than an NPAS and the rubber / nub I wouldn't bother 'upgrading' anything untill something breaks.

Lots of real steal parts fit straight on.

The L85 is a little more tempremental, but the main issue of bolt damage has been cured in the later ones with a strengthening plate. Again , easy to strip and work on, same hop unit as the M4. Mine was running like a train last time out in single didget temperatures on red gas. 

The G36 is now mainly a loaner if anyone wants to tra GBBR, it needs a go through having been on loan for over a year, but it's a good platform, easy to work on , hop is easy to adjust. I dont run it 'cos the mags are a pain in the arse to fit in pouches.

The G3 is a beast, it's the fully trade marked version, is running totally stock except for an NPAS and will easily over hop my standard .30's . Makes a very distinctive crack when firing, hop easy to adjust , always catches me out with the dead man's click on empty as I am so used to the 119's locking back !

My other two are the Umarex MP7 ( full size unlike the TM)  totally stock and an absolute scream to use . Then there is the VFC M249, Oh My !  It's so much fun to use, I load my mags to 120 rounds , fill the gas tank in the box mag and just have a blast. The noise is incredible, one game I saw people  from the other team stand up and run the other way when I opened up. One of them came and found me later and said ' that thing sounds terifying ' 🤣

A mate has the WE SCAR H and it is very nice, but we did end up using an after market hop unit to get it shooting consistantly.

I never feel out gunned with any of them, they all have as much range as any other non dmr / sniper airsoft gun and accuracy on most is excellent. I've spent plenty of time dialing the sights I use on each and allow for recoil when I fire. The 249 has more of a shotgun effect, but I'm happy enough with that in a support weapon.

Mags wise I generally carry 5 for the 119's , 85 and G3 plus a speed loader. I recon on 2.5 BB loads to a gas fill, so have about 300 rounds for a game. 4 mags for the MP7 but they are 40 rounds .

Mags are in pouches on a plate carrier . I make sure to use the mag that has been closest to my body first from each pouch, moving the outer one in when I put the empty into the pouch. I tend to run hot when I excersise and find the mags are happy with this system.

Sorry, long post, but hopefully helpful.

First GBBR? Something "cheap" and used. Like MP9, VFC/Marui MP7, GHK G5. MWS doesn't stop at 500 it only starts when a mag 50 quid. 🤑

Edited by Krisz

20 hours ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

GHK’s G5 is really good, and nice and lightweight with nice recoil

thanks.

TM’s MP7 is also supposed to be superb

It is... I have one.

Ghk AUG, VFC FAL

Hadn't considered the AUG but I have an A1 AEG & only really crave the AUG LSW which is as rare as unicorn poo.

I have a couple of FAL's already & don't fancy lugging a GBB battle rifle around in game, (besides my FAL AEG is too hot for my local site & already have 5 pews getting down graded or 'fixed')

2 hours ago, Nick G said:

Sorry, long post, but hopefully helpful.

Thanks, I'm tempted by an L85 but sidelined it as I already have 7 in my collection & the only 'new' feature would be it's a GBBR.

I run an L119 A1 and an A2

I do want an L119 at some stage but will wait of prices to drop before I commit to either A1 or A2 & by the time that happens I'll prob be looking for a KS1

The G36 is now mainly a loaner if anyone wants to tra GBBR

I already have a couple of G36 AEG's but they never light my fire to make me want to use them in game, got plenty of mags for them & a couple of rigs to wear especially for their mags but no desire to use the G36 in game yet

The G3 is a beast

I have a G3A4 AEG & a prop G3 and despite saying I'm not keen on lugging a GBB battle rifle in game, this is prob one I'd consider.

VFC M249

Interesting choice but I have an AEG version & it's heavy as hell.

2 hours ago, Krisz said:

Like MP9, VFC/Marui MP7, GHK G5. MWS doesn't stop at 500 it only starts when a mag 50 quid

lol, hense my seperate budget for mags.

I already have an TM MP7 GBB & a Vorsk VMP1 GBB, looking for something more rifle'y

Edited by gavinkempsell

19 hours ago, gavinkempsell said:

thanks.

It is... I have one.

Hadn't considered the AUG but I have an A1 AEG & only really crave the AUG LSW which is as rare as unicorn poo.

I have a couple of FAL's already & don't fancy lugging a GBB battle rifle around in game, (besides my FAL AEG is too hot for my local site & already have 5 pews getting down graded or 'fixed')

Thanks, I'm tempted by an L85 but sidelined it as I already have 7 in my collection & the only 'new' feature would be it's a GBBR.

I do want an L119 at some stage but will wait of prices to drop before I commit to either A1 or A2 & by the time that happens I'll prob be looking for a KS1

I already have a couple of G36 AEG's but they never light my fire to make me want to use them in game, got plenty of mags for them & a couple of rigs to wear especially for their mags but no desire to use the G36 in game yet

I have a G3A4 AEG & a prop G3 and despite saying I'm not keen on lugging a GBB battle rifle in game, this is prob one I'd consider.

Interesting choice but I have an AEG version & it's heavy as hell.

lol, hense my seperate budget for mags.

I already have an TM MP7 GBB & a Vorsk VMP1 GBB, looking for something more rifle'y

Well, I'm not gonna recommend GHK M4 because they've got horrible QC reputation so either VFC HK416A5  or Marui MWS.

49 minutes ago, Krisz said:

Well, I'm not gonna recommend GHK M4 because they've got horrible QC reputation so either VFC HK416A5  or Marui MWS.

GHK AK’s have been hit or a miss with bad QC

My M4 is faultless, and my 553 is looking to be good too

I know a lot of people talk about GHK AKs, but the new TM AKs are absolutely phenomenal. I think my AKM performs better than my MWS

13 hours ago, gavinkempsell said:

The tan version looks better than black... dunno why tho.

It does :)

I have not been a fan of the tan colour, but just loved the 416 in it. It really does look good. Shoots damn good aswell!

Common sense almost took over on Saturday as I perused GBBR's (hense my cancel that post above), but I have a 'need' for either...

WE Scar-H https://extremeairsoft.co.uk/product/fn-herstal-scar-h-gas-blowback-rifle-tan/

Umarex G3A3 https://extremeairsoft.co.uk/product/umarex-hk-g3a3-gas-blowback-rifle-steel-pressed-body-olive-drab-gbb/

VFC XM177 https://www.davescustomairsoft.co.uk/colt-xm177e2-gas-blowback-rifle-by-vfc?search=xm177

or

WE XM177 https://www.davescustomairsoft.co.uk/we-xm177-gas-blowback-rifle-full-metal-black?search=xm177

I lean towards using my AEH Scar-L in most skirmishes & want a Tan H in my collection, I've always loved the G3 (was one of my first pews in the early 90's) & again want one for my collection, and the XM177 is kewl (really like the realistic take down of a gas AR) & yet again want one for my collection.

is the WE XM177 as 'good' as the VFC? the price difference is almost 3 spare mags worth.

Talking of mags... OMG, are all GBB mags as rare as unicorn shit or is it just Xmas rarity?

Edited by gavinkempsell

Cant comment on the VFC M4 platform, but the WE XM177 is basically the same as my WE based builds and I'm more than happy with performance of them . Spares are also easy to get , not that I've needed any for mine.

The VFC G3 is awesome, but perhaps it should be discounted for just being absolutely mahoosive and therefore might not always get the nod for a game 
I'd maybe not choose an XM177 because mounting optics might be a bit top-heavy on a fixed handle, but dang it they look cool.

So ... the Scar... ?

I fired an HPA'd WE Scar at a recent skirmish and was impressed.  It doesn't have the 'wow' factor of the G3 (but then again, what does, except other silly-big FAL's etc) but it makes an awful lot of sense as a platform.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Yeah, I'm stuck for which to chose tbh, I'm more likely to use the scar in game but the G3 & the XM have the kewl factor for me. not likely to fit a scope to the xm as I like the retro look, would possibly fit a period clone scope to the G3 as I'd expect it to have a DMR range, the scar would have every addition available added coz I'm a bit dickish like that (already planning on using a PEQ, can, light & foregrip I already have).

Mind if I join in? 

I have about the same budget and new to GBB but really want to give one ago I just don’t know what to go for. 

I’ve been told the H&K stuff made by Umarex or WE are the same, just branded differently?

Im confused as to why the MP5s are more expensive than some of rifles out there. 

I like the Idea of an AR style rifle but is there any good ones for about £500?

I just want something that is good and will last.

55 minutes ago, Good day said:

Mind if I join in? 

I have about the same budget and new to GBB but really want to give one ago I just don’t know what to go for. 

I’ve been told the H&K stuff made by Umarex or WE are the same, just branded differently?

Im confused as to why the MP5s are more expensive than some of rifles out there. 

I like the Idea of an AR style rifle but is there any good ones for about £500?

I just want something that is good and will last.

Umarex is a rebrand company. Their H&K GBBR are made by VFC which are considered a higher quality over WE. £500 can get you a decent GBBR however if you want to use them in a game you need 5 to 6 mags and they start at £50 and up depending on manufacture. So a practical GBBR budget starts at around £700. Also even the high end guns require regular maintenance and are much more likely to break than an AEG. You also need to think of a GBBR will suit you. 5 GBBR mags can hold about the same number of BBs as 1 mid cap you have to chose your shots and full auto is pretty much out the window so any hire player will a single high cap can out gun you. I personally only use a GBBR for single shot indoor CQB. I tried outdoors got very frustrated and had to go back to the safe zone to grab an AEG after half an hour as I had reloaded my mags twice was out of BBs and our if gas.

1 hour ago, Good day said:

Because MP5's are SO FRICKIN' COOL

😍😍😍😍😍😍

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.