Protecting Optics and Other Attachments - Polycarbonate, Plexiglass (Acrylic) or something else?

LzChase

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, I wanted to see if there was a general opinion on what is the best material to protect at attachment, such as an optic or a laser box. While I'm currently not playing, I'd like to find out what I should consider for the future. I've previously had cheap off the shelf plastic screens on, but around 450 FPS, BBs start going right through them in my testing. All my main builds are GBBRs so I run real steel rated optics to make sure they survive the recoil, which is why they're quite expensive and I'd like to come up with a better way of protecting them. I'm also wondering if a piece of protective material could somehow be attached directly to an optic or a flashlight as an extra lens of sorts, like somehow building it into a lens flip cap. My main optic is a Trijicon 1-8x28 and I'm somewhat positive a high end scope like this would survive a BB, but I'm not willing to take any chances.

I personally make protectors out of Lexan (polycarbonate), and use two layers. It’s super cheap—I cut the Lexan with tin snips and finish it off with a sanding belt.

Have you tried Red Dot Engineering's polycarbonate protectors?  I'm confident they're good at 350 but I don't know if they're ok at higher velocities.  Still they are cheap (a tenner or so for a custom size), so worth a test?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/reddotengineering?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=29Dc19V6RWe&sssrc=3418065&ssuid=T3xj7EiGQjq&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Another advocate for Red Dot Engineering 👆 Ypou could also try a suitably sized kill flash.

Another vote for red dot engineering. I've used a couple of their protectors and they've been great. I use them a cutting service when I'm busy, putting the discs between the flip cap body and the lense of various optics. Clarity is great and impact has claimed a lense since I started using them. I do usually order a couple of each size I use as I always seem to end up in the wet and mud during night games amd grit is a thing, so I sometimes switch lense covers then clean later.

Maybe off topic but at 450 fps, most field i played would have a minimum engagement distance, so the bb is not neccessarily hitting you at 450 fps. Is your testing representative of your playing conditions ?

And if you have players that are hitting 450 fps close range and dont get told off then kicked for the day or banned if it keeps happening, i’d consider whether this is the best place to play.

Instead of the full protection for optics as well, you might want to consider a brand’s warranty, i hear a lot of good from vortex where they will repair, but i have never had one so cant vouch for it.

46 minutes ago, Kzwi said:

Instead of the full protection for optics as well, you might want to consider a brand’s warranty, i hear a lot of good from vortex where they will repair, but i have never had one so cant vouch for it.

Yes there's a thread about Vortex, there's no one reporting a bad thing about them, they really do replace shot-out optics for free.  Obviously it's a bit of a pain to be without your favoured sight while the replacement occurs though, I'd still put a protector on one.

• Supporters

Another vote for polycarbonate.  2mm and above will stop anything that should be being slung at a UK airsoft field by anyone except Kicking Mustang.  I bought a sheet of 3mm which is way overkill (or over-stop), so I'd say 2-2.5mm is the sweet spot.  You can cut and finish it by hand, but power tools make it easier.

27 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Another vote for polycarbonate.  2mm and above will stop anything that should be being slung at a UK airsoft field by anyone except Kicking Mustang.  I bought a sheet of 3mm which is way overkill (or over-stop), so I'd say 2-2.5mm is the sweet spot.  You can cut and finish it by hand, but power tools make it easier.

2mm is plenty and 3mm becomes a real pain to work with hand tools, thought it can be done. some basic dremel cutting discs and sanding discs makes it all a whole lot easier. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.