Lipo storage

shamus5178

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello,

so, I have a number of lipos, I understand the inherent risk both in charging/ using. When going away playing, they usually live in a “lipo safe bag” and are stored at home in a H83 container. (Ammo box)

My question is this. The ammo box is a sealed container. Worst case scenario the whole lot goes up. Is it better to drill a couple of holes in said box to let the gases/ smoke escape or leave it sealed under the pretence of the limited amount of oxygen in the box will help remove the fire risk or will it turn in to fragmentation grenade and explode everywhere?

Think of the old thunderflash in an ammo tin demo (used to be helmets but the QM got a sad on.)

I took advice I read somewhere, and removed the rubber gasket on my ammo can.  The lid now locks down but is only a loose fit, so should let enough gas escape to prevent Bangy McBang-Face from making an appearance

Lithium batteries release oxygen when the burn so an air tight container doesn't really help matters.

An ammo tin with the rubber seal removed is a good start, a battery safe is better. It's a box to contain the batteries with a filter built into the lid.

I use an ammo tin for storage of lipos, with the seal removed and bat-safe box for parallel charging lipos.

Common sense is key and if in doubt, throw it out. I've seen and caused a fair few lipo fires and abuse is always a trigger, although that's much korw common in fpv flight than airsoft I think.

Thanks all, I’ve always treated them with respect apart from one time charging on a metal lid and created a short. Amazing amount of heat and smoke for a small battery. 
TBH, it was more of the storage side, I didn’t even know about battery safe cases, yes I’ve used the bags, they live in those during transit. Didn’t even realise there was a bigger version for storage. 

Thanks all for the reply’s. :)

I use one of these: https://www.bat-safe.com

It’s pricier than an old ammo tin, but I considered it pretty cheap as an insurance policy as I have a fair few packs. 

LiPos are typically safe if treated sensibly and at storage voltage they are as close to inert (from spontaneous ignition sense) as makes no difference. 

During charging or afterwards when stored on a full charge, say the night before a game day, they do have a chance of catching fire. How likely that is depends on too many variables to consider. 

Anecdotally I think cases like this are mostly from the RC world where LiPos are subjected to much more abuse, both in physical damage and discharge load alongside much higher energy density per pack, resulting in a bigger boom when they let go.

Airsoft by comparison is pretty low stress, so barring misuse or a manufacturing defects the LiPos used in AEGs should be about as safe as it gets. 

Still worth a few quid spent on caution though. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.