Looking for a beginner AEG, also on a budget

guyus10

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get your thoughts and opinions on AEG's that are good value for beginners and are reliable? My budget is around £150? (Although I feel that it may be too low for a good AEG sad...)

I've heard the cyma m4's or AEGs are not great, apart from their AK47 VFC clones, which all seem to be way out of my budget.

I was looking at the Specna Arms SA-F02 FLEX M4 carbine. What do you guys think?

And I think I havent accounted for the cost of a battery and charger which seems to add around another 50 squids to the whole price? (Lipo 7.4v Crane stock?).

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, guyus10 said:

I've heard the cyma m4's or AEGs are not great,

That's only partly true. While the plastic used for the bodies aren't  great, the gearboxes are solid. I ran mine for a good few years on an 11.1v lipo with no problems internally, it was only when the plastic on the outer barrel broke it was relegated to the parts box

10 minutes ago, guyus10 said:

I was looking at the Specna Arms SA-F02 FLEX M4 carbine. What do you guys think?

I've never owned one personally but Specna Arms do have a reputation for being good quality and value for money. Yes their earlier guns had problems but it looks like they've taken the feedback on board and made some changes.

Have you also taken into account for extra magazines too? Having only 1 mag means you're less likely to run out at the wrong moment or leave you sat n the safezone if it stops working 

I'd say go for a CYMA.  They're good budget performers.

Are you after a particular model or look?

As Cannonfodder mentioned, its worth getting at least a second magazine.  (I recommend a hi-cap otherwise you'll need a lot more magazines)

Definitely worth keeping £50 aside for a LiPo battery and decent charger.  (Search for the recommended options)

This is a basic charger option

SkyRC e3 LiPo (2-3S) Balance Charger (V2) - Unmanned Tech UK FPV Shop (unmannedtechshop.co.uk)

This one is better but you'll need to get connector leads for the battery plug type.

SkyRC e430 LiPo/LiFe (2-4S) Balance Charger - Unmanned Tech UK FPV Shop (unmannedtechshop.co.uk)

Edited by EDcase

30 minutes ago, guyus10 said:

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get your thoughts and opinions on AEG's that are good value for beginners and are reliable? My budget is around £150? (Although I feel that it may be too low for a good AEG sad...)

I've heard the cyma m4's or AEGs are not great, apart from their AK47 VFC clones, which all seem to be way out of my budget.

And I think I havent accounted for the cost of a battery and charger which seems to add around another 50 squids to the whole price? (Lipo 7.4v Crane stock?).

Thanks!

Say 4-5 years ago, yes £150 would have been just about enough to get started and have a fun time. However with inflation and Brexit related supply issues I would say you need to save more money up to be at least a little competitive. I'd say £225 would be a good start for RIF, Lipo, Decent Lipo Charger and extra mags. 

2 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Say 4-5 years ago, yes £150 would have been just about enough to get started and have a fun time. However with inflation and Brexit related supply issues I would say you need to save more money up to be at least a little competitive. I'd say £225 would be a good start for RIF, Lipo, Decent Lipo Charger and extra mags. 

Sadly this.

I would go as far as saying that buying too cheap now (i.e. charger) will cost you more money in the long run.

There are some very decent guns around the £150 price mark, but it's the extras that add up quickly to the cost.

Keep an eye out for good second hand AEGs, you can usually grab a decent gun for a good price! I’d say CYMA is one of the best brands you can go for in terms of beginner to intermediate AEGs. Just make sure you don’t skimp out on a decent balance charger and Lipo battery!

13 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

I would go as far as saying that buying too cheap now (i.e. charger) will cost you more money in the long run.

100% this if using Li-Po batteries

Those cheap £15 Nuprol chargers look like they'll be "good enough", but play a little too hard and run the battery down to very low voltage levels and you'll suddenly find that they can no longer charge the Li-Po battery. However, using the correct charging program on a SkyRC can bring the battery back to life and save you a lot of money :)

(Happened to me back in the past, sorted by using a good SkyRC charger, and also a nephew who bought a SKyRC charger on my recommendation and was able to save two Li-Po's with very low cell voltages)

2 hours ago, DanielDefence said:

Keep an eye out for good second hand AEGs

I would be very wary of second hand guns if you are a beginner. Buy a duff gun - you won't be able to fix it - so off to a 'tech' it goes for a £30-50 hourly charge + parts. It could end up costing more than new.

Whilst warranties are not worth much to an experienced player, they can be a bit of a safety net for the new player (assuming they don't rip the thing open for 'upgrades').

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

While the plastic used for the bodies aren't  great, the gearboxes are solid.

Echoed and re-emphasised. The CM.5xx series are made of a very cheap feeIing plastic, so I'd go a little more upmarket (although I agree that the internals are cockroach tough).

I'd say Jing Gong G36C, but stocking levels are parlous again.

You're not likely to go far wrong with the Specna FLEX, and it's not like there's much choice at that price range right now.  No need to over-think it.

The main pro of the Cymas are the price for internal value. Externals, as mentioned, feel like you should be pulling the bolt and shooting 23 FPS.

I will mention the Arcturus Sport Line. For about $170 USD (not sure of current exchange rates off the top of my head) you get the same excellent internals as their more expensive models, housed in a cheaper, lower quality body.

The Double Eagle lines, have some things going for them as well, namely the ETU and general quality on a gun so cheap. The main downsides, in my opinion, are the ferrite stock motor (Arcturus comes with Neodymium), and the hop rubber, but neither of those are deal breakers, especially for how much value DE already delivers.

23 hours ago, Leo Greer said:

I will mention the Arcturus Sport Line. For about $170 USD (not sure of current exchange rates off the top of my head) you get the same excellent internals as their more expensive models, housed in a cheaper, lower quality body.

They are pretty reasonably priced in the UK (£150). Weirdly this vendor say no Mosfet, but everywhere else says that they do have one fitted.

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/arcturus-at-st01-lwt-ar-15-cqb-sport?pv=21428

I've seen a couple of reviews on it now - my stance on the microswitch trigger is softening...slightly

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.