New Hobby RC Aircraft

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just started a new hobby flying RC Aircraft, come off the club trainer and just bought a 2 meter wing span Cessna, anybody else into flying?

20230628_184006.jpg

Nope,  tried it a few years ago with a cheap entry plane but got bored flying back and forth and doing loops.

I'd only be interested in head tracked articulated FPV which is too expensive at the mo.

Edited by EDcase

I fly fpv quads, mostly micos whoops currently. Ive not tried planes, the closest I've got was wind flight.

@EDcaseif you have you analog setup you can do headtracking is much cheaper than trying to do it digitally. I had a headtracking module with my fatshark goggles.

I fly quads as well.

Have the DJI mavic air and a hubsan h501s.

Looking at getting a hubsan zino mini pro.

It's great fun.

Don't think I'd be able to manage a fixed wing though.

Fpv interests me though.

Good luck with the Cessna👍

No but my Grandad got into it bigtime in his retirement (building only with balsa & luck), he tried his hand at helicopters at one stage but on his first trial flight in the garden it went a bit off page & removed every single flower down one site of the garden (my Gran was the gardener)... it never flew again.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to. Still got a lot of the planes and stuff at my dad's. 

Haven't bothered with it since the registration stuff, but I do fancy getting back to it. 

I'd quite like to build/modify a glider model into a rocket me163. We have a few sites near me where people fly. 

33 minutes ago, Pupa2794 said:

I used to. Still got a lot of the planes and stuff at my dad's. 

Haven't bothered with it since the registration stuff, but I do fancy getting back to it. 

I'd quite like to build/modify a glider model into a rocket me163. We have a few sites near me where people fly. 

Presuming it's open A1/A3 category, you basically just have to know https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/drone-code (now the Drone and Model Aircraft Code), and pass a 40-question multiple-choice exam online every few years.

Operator ID (basically being the one legally responsible for the aircraft) is ~£10/year, Flyer ID (showing you're competent to fly) is free of charge, and means a retest every 5 years.

I know the regs, it's just I've been bmfa insured since I was 5, used to fly a 200mph weston tigershark at the local club (other kids got plastations, I got a really trick model aircraft engine. A just engines 0.37 with a ridiculously long expansion chamber, all in purple.) odd how that sticks in the memory despite being nearly 20 years. 

Raced rc cars at the nationals, flew all sorts but that tigershark was probably my favourite, worked in a model shop in high school (all electric rc) 

And then the government decide to start regulating it and I'd want to do it on a really casual basis, I honestly lost the desire to bother. 

Basically, make something too easy and idiots will join in. Ie drones. 

Beforehand, someone would have to invest money and more importantly, time, to learn to fly one. Even assembling an artf kit is beyond most of these fools. Otherwise, give an idiot a plane and he'll be lucky to get it airborne before it's matchsticks. 

The new rules are a bit of a PITA.

Flying the Inspire 1 can be stressful even with all the software, simply because it is a big bastard with big ass blades. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.