PSA Scam warning

sonofsammo

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

For those who don't know: for some verification of online pics, people ask for you to write your name/username, today's date, etc. on a piece of paper, and scrunch it up before unfurling it and taking the photo -- the idea being that it's much harder to Photoshop or fake details on that, compared to someone holding up a flat piece of paper.

Dude's obviously trying to get pics to he can post the image and make like they are "his" items to sell, most likely sending potential buyers sweet FA.

Just to add to this, I recently was contacted by someone in response to a wanted add I put up. Guy had a quantity of items for a good price. I asked for a photo with his name on of the items, *pooof*, vanished. 

• Supporters

Every time I think "is it really worth their while?" I have to remind myself that this is a hobby where people will happily pay multiple hundreds for toys, just to get a moment of unboxing euphoria.

We must look like super-easy targets. Thanks for pointing out this new twist.

I was talking to a chap at Spec Ops, he was considering a swap deal with someone in Northern Ireland.  Luckily he'd not committed because he thought a GBBR might get too much attention from the authorities, might get seized, but I cautioned him there's a scammer over there. I'd never ever do a swap to NI

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• Supporters

When it comes to swaps, if the other guy doesn't have a considerable online history, ie feedback/posts/time under his belt, he'll have to send his kit first, no excuses, once received I'll reciprocate & give suitable commendable feedback. 

3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Every time I think "is it really worth their while?" I have to remind myself that this is a hobby where people will happily pay multiple hundreds for toys, just to get a moment of unboxing euphoria.

We must look like super-easy targets. Thanks for pointing out this new twist.

Everytime a new member posts up an extensive "wanted" list, I cringe, it's like chucking out a load of chum & waiting for the sharks to come around🦈

giphy (2).gif

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/06/2023 at 16:34, RostokMcSpoons said:

I was talking to a chap at Spec Ops, he was considering a swap deal with someone in Northern Ireland.  Luckily he'd not committed because he thought a GBBR might get too much attention from the authorities, might get seized, but I cautioned him there's a scammer over there. I'd never ever do a swap to NI

To be honest I would never ever do a swap that wasn't in person. I takes some balls of steel and a lot of confidence in someone to do a swap in the post!

20 minutes ago, JVacation said:

To be honest I would never ever do a swap that wasn't in person. I takes some balls of steel and a lot of confidence in someone to do a swap in the post!

The only way I’d entertain a swap is for the person wanting to swap to buy my stuff with PP G&S, then I post it.

I then buy their stuff with the money they put in my PP, again G&S

• Supporters
41 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

The only way I’d entertain a swap is for the person wanting to swap to buy my stuff with PP G&S, then I post it.

I then buy their stuff with the money they put in my PP, again G&S

Bro, just bank-transfer me half the value, then I'll bank-transfer you half the value back.  My Canadian girlfriend can vouch for me.

39 minutes ago, JVacation said:

Or stupidity. 

Sorry, sorry. I mean naivety 😉

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.