Steyr AUG …. But which one ?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ooooh. Aug goodness. 😁

I bought a boneyard TM one. For the paltry sum of £90.

It wasn't well. @Iceni pointed me in the correct direction and after managing to lunch a spur gear (yup, tm cheesium gears) with the addition of a high torque motor, I rebuilt the box, painted it the correct RAL colour (aka "mud"- seriously, that's the Oem name for it!!) And I LOVE IT. I apparently have an oddball one, as mines all silencered up but may be a tm/snow wolf swinging session outcome. 490mm tb barrel, m105, hi torque, metal gears 😁, new Oem hop with a maple and I can chuck 0.28's at people all day. 

IMG-20230514-WA0001.jpg

Edited by Egon_247
I'm crap at adding pics ..lol

24 minutes ago, Egon_247 said:

Ooooh. Aug goodness. 😁

I bought a boneyard TM one. For the paltry sum of £90.

It wasn't well. @Iceni pointed me in the correct direction and after managing to lunch a spur gear (yup, tm cheesium gears) with the addition of a high torque motor, I rebuilt the box, painted it the correct RAL colour (aka "mud"- seriously, that's the Oem name for it!!) And I LOVE IT. I apparently have an oddball one, as mines all silencered up but may be a tm/snow wolf swinging session outcome. 490mm tb barrel, m105, hi torque, metal gears 😁, new Oem hop with a maple and I can chuck 0.28's at people all day. 

IMG-20230514-WA0001.jpg

that looks great :) , I’m still tempted by an AEG … just need to recoup some funds ( and storage space 😛 ) 

1 hour ago, JimFromHorsham said:

that looks great :) , I’m still tempted by an AEG … just need to recoup some funds ( and storage space 😛 ) 

You're into airsoft....which means you permanently have neither.  ..😂😂😂

• 4 months later...
On 08/06/2023 at 06:38, Iceni said:

It really is. It's the fact it's a standard metal V3 gearbox, just with plastic bushings. Those bushings aren't actually that bad. I've been spouting on about budget augs and the upgrade path you can take with them for a few years, and even now it's more than relevant.

For a £110 base gun, with some decent upgrades. You can totally eclipse anything you can buy in box. And save money in the process. Externally ASG also have the trades so it's a win win IMO.

Bearings (£10), Spring (£5), Motor HT (£30). This makes a good gun. (+£45) (£155 total budget)

Additional optional upgrades - 13:1 gears s/s 2 teeth (£20), brass spring guide [not required if qc box] (£12), Silent head set POM [Element IN0810] (£15), Mosfet - whatever you want (£10 budget model), barrel (£25), Hop rubber (£10). This gives a beast mode AUG. (+£92).

So the total could be £247 for an absolute monster. There simply isn't an aug on the market that comes close to those specs. It's like a full sweetshop spec, for less than a basic TM (£260-280).

I recently got into wanting to make a AUG build 

this is what I got so far is this good?image.thumb.png.1d5736b856be2ecfadcba200a93299b3.pngWhat motor brand/type would you recommend as well as bearings size

• Supporters
On 08/11/2023 at 03:29, TinyMandalorian said:

this is what I got so far is this good?image.thumb.png.1d5736b856be2ecfadcba200a93299b3.pngWhat motor brand/type would you recommend as well as bearings size

What are you hoping to achieve ? 

The power output on that model is already good, allegedly 330-360, if it's at the higher end of those figures it's already bordering on the UK site & legal limits, chucking a higher rated spring is likely to exceed those limits. 

Same goes for hop & barrel swaps, you may end up upsetting what's is already a good combination, reviews on the later asg models are generally favourable, so why not start off with the gun itself & 3 or 4 mags, play at least a couple of games to allow it to bed in & only then if you find it's lacking in any area, consider upgrades ? 

• Supporters
5 hours ago, Tackle said:

What are you hoping to achieve ? 

The power output on that model is already good, allegedly 330-360, if it's at the higher end of those figures it's already bordering on the UK site & legal limits, chucking a higher rated spring is likely to exceed those limits. 

Same goes for hop & barrel swaps, you may end up upsetting what's is already a good combination, reviews on the later asg models are generally favourable, so why not start off with the gun itself & 3 or 4 mags, play at least a couple of games to allow it to bed in & only the if you find it's lacking in any area, consider upgrades ? 

I'd say at a guess they're in the US (that shopping list is in USD).

• Supporters
1 hour ago, TinyMandalorian said:

yeah im in the US the power is around 320-330 fps also not sure if I should go with the JG or AGS aug

JG Newest Version AUG Civilian Full Size Airsoft AEG Rifle w/ Metal Gear box, Airsoft Guns, Airsoft Electric Rifles - Evike.com Airsoft Superstore

I would point you towards this post above: 

On 24/06/2023 at 09:50, JimFromHorsham said:

Buy one, you know you want to !😎

The aug on its way to being a dmr...maybe.

Daft scope and a G3 bipod. 😂

PXL_20231111_081450066.jpg

Edited by Egon_247

On 08/11/2023 at 03:29, TinyMandalorian said:

this is what I got so far is this good?

Lonex hop unit, No idea about them. The stock plastic units are fine.

Maple leaf hop rubber - I can't comment on that either. We have 350fps and cold weather here in the UK. So soft 50deg rubbers are generally more our thing. I'd run the stock rubber and hop unit till it breaks.
https://www.evike.com/products/31081/

ASG mags -  No issues there. You can get the MAG 170rnd ones from Evike. There my absolute favourite AUG mag. Good capacity, no winding, no rattle. If you can afford it then I would always recommend those mags. Equally the King Arms and ASG 110rnd mags are good options as well if you hate rattle.
https://www.evike.com/products/31490/

Matrix spring - no idea, It's not a branding we see over here.

Madbull Python 6.03 - Avoid Avoid Avoid. The barrel is too wide for an AUG's inner sleeve and will bind up causing all sorts of issues. The ZCI ones are spot on if you can find them. All of my AUGs use them. The other brands I have no idea about as the ZCI's have always been on point.
https://www.evike.com/products/11878/

ASG AUG - It's an ASG sportline by the looks. Identical to the JG but with the added trades. Metal bushing, Basic motor, QC spring. Absolutely solid as a basic gun or upgrade gun. The JG may or may not have a QC spring depending on how old the stock is. With the ASG one having it in the description I would go that way. I wouldn't upgrade anything for the first few games on it. Get a feel for it first and work out what you need to do. If you go with the big batteries I've linked lower down be aware that the inline fuse may have difficulties as you can see a lot of current draw. So It may be worth adding some bigger fuses to the order. Or have a plan to bypass the fuse if it starts to glow.

I'd run it on a 7.4v big lipo. 2200mAh. I Know I can fit a battery 103.6 x 34 x 15.5mm into mine no trouble. 101.1 x 35.5 x 16.1mm also fit and work. You may have to modify the bottom of the gearbox plate to remove a plastic part that sticks out (2 mins with a dremel). I would also convert to deans as mini tamiya connectors are crap. I'll link a battery that will work, but 20/40c is pretty low for these. Giant power over here do a 35/70c 5c charge model that is my preferred battery. If you are wanting 11.1v then you need to speak to someone else as I don't own any - It may also be worth talking to your local gamers as you may need 11.1v for your power levels.
https://www.evike.com/products/47743/

Motor is not something I can't advise on. Nor gears, As you run different power levels, So what I know won't translate to what you need.

For UK power levels 350 fps, I tend to find AUG's will run hot on standard spring configurations if you get the seals right. I think mine are running cut M110's but it's been a while since I had them open.

Edited by Iceni

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.