Hi all

-Cowboy-

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've been wanting to try airsoft for ages so I've finally bitten the BB and booked myself in at Special Ops as it's relatively local to me. Being over 40 and ridiculously unfit I'm sure it will be an experience!

Looking forward to getting out there and also browsing round the forum which has already proved to be a goldmine of info - got to give a big thumbs up to you guys.

1 hour ago, -Cowboy- said:

I've been wanting to try airsoft for ages so I've finally bitten the BB and booked myself in at Special Ops as it's relatively local to me. Being over 40 and ridiculously unfit I'm sure it will be an experience!

Looking forward to getting out there and also browsing round the forum which has already proved to be a goldmine of info - got to give a big thumbs up to you guys.

Welcome.

There are a couple of sites calling themselves 'Spec Ops' or 'Special Ops' - which one are you referring to?

Loads of info on here, with plenty of advise on buying guns and gear.

It's the one near Milton Keynes.

Yeah I've been having a read through and it's fantastic, really helpful, which is pretty refreshing to be honest. Theres a few other things that I do that tend to have a lot of snobs and gatekeepers, which is crazy really because if newbies don't come through it'll just die out - go figure!

"point to the map and tell us where Airsoft is going to touch you" 😉

I'm a regular at Special Ops, the site owner Carlos is very friendly and will look after you well, as will any of the regulars there.  Say hello to me (Ross) and Dan if you're there this coming Sunday

And welcome to the forums 😃

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Yep.... Welcome...

Me and the boy, plus maybe another pal will be there on Sunday. 

I'm one of the taller ones there so come say hello. 

90% certain I'll have a new toy as well 😎

3 minutes ago, -Cowboy- said:

It's is this Sunday I'm going so hopefully will see you both there, usually I'd say you won't miss me I'll be in boots and camo but I guess thats not really going to help this time is it. 😁

Boots, camo, standing close to a tree..... Got it. 👍🤣

• Supporters

Ahoy and welcome, @-Cowboy-, and don't sweat it (I mean, not figuratively) about age and fitness.  The only thing I'd suggest is taking at least 4l of water and rehydrating as the first thing you do after each game, don't rely on getting by on cans from the site shop.

The bloke in camo, and the tall bloke in camo, will see you right.

... good news on the hydration front... Free bottled water readily available around the game area, so no real worries there.

Free tea and coffee at the safe zone (plus the shop selling cans and choccy bars)

Nice burger, hotdogs and chicken legs and salad were provided for the lunch at the last event - included in the price, so no worries about bringing a packed lunch either!

I'm another newb (also the wrong side of 40), my son and I had our first Airsoft game at Special Ops this bank holiday Monday just gone.

Was a great day, Carlos and the team there are all very helpful.  Food as mentioned above was great and you will have worked up an appetite for it.  We're planning to go back soon, once UKARA registered I'll be waterboarding my credit card to fund kit for me and the boy.

Spoke to a few of the regulars (possibly some of you guys who have replied - if so hello!) during the day and everyone was happy to chat and give advice, certainly no sense of gatekeeping or elitism that I experienced. 

Really enjoyed it, had some great battles, one memorable moment saw me exchanging fire with a couple of guys maybe 60 meters away from cover.  Took out the first guy, then tried to walk my shots to the second as he was returning fire.  We both took each other out more or less simultaneously so both took the hit.  Quick thumbs up to acknowledge good-game and then back to the respawn.  

Some tips from my recent experience:

• The car park is small (though I think they have some extra parking further down), so arriving a little earlier probably means you'll get a better chance at a space.
  • If you are renting gear, the above is also true as you'll want time to collect your kit.
  • Take advantage of the range in the safe area (netted section towards the back) to test fire your gear.  Their rental stuff is tough but well used, my first mag wouldn't wind and the hop-up needed adjustment on my gun.  All easily rectified but better to find out before you are in the field.
  • Ask questions in the game briefings if you're not sure.  It took me most of the day to get a vague mental picture of the site in my head, during briefings there is a lot of arm waving and naming of map features you won't yet know.  Better to ask someone to confirm a spawn point or objective then rather than mid battle.
  • Your legs are gonna burn afterwards.

Welcome, cowboy!

Enjoy your first day and remember that age is a state of mind.

Yeah very true point about the explanation of the game area.  Congrats if you know what a Lithuanian flag looks like 😋

If you manage to find me I'll explain the map to you, there are actual map boards

Welcome new guys 🖐

That Special Ops sounds like a good place.  Bit too far for me though 🙄

Enjoy your game Cowboy.  I had a huge grin on my face the whole day at my first event.  Even when getting shot 🤣

The US flag is halfway along the lower path between the entrance to the game area  / Noth Korea flag, and the Love Shack.  It got used as a respawn point quite a lot in the last event, so you'll need to know it 😉

The car park got mentioned..  it's not been bad even with ~60 people, but you should aim to get there by 8:30.  Safety briefing usually starts at 9:30

14 hours ago, Gunboat Diplomat said:
  • Your legs are gonna burn afterwards.

Mate I'll probably be wheezing and sweating pure kebab grease. 🤣

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll prob be there early as I'm not far away and have a deep hatred of being late to anything, usually I end up parked somewhere in a layby waiting for stuff to open.

I should be recognisable by my stupid girlie hair and dumb look on my face. 😁

25 minutes ago, -Cowboy- said:

I should be recognisable by my stupid girlie hair and dumb look on my face. 

I am going to be immensely disappointed if there isn't a cowboy hat involved 🤠

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I am going to be immensely disappointed if there isn't a cowboy hat involved 🤠

Sadly the wife vetod the hat, I do however regularly rock cowboy boots. Not much good for moving about though so think I'll stick to my deserts for this. 🤣

5 hours ago, -Cowboy- said:

@Dan Robinson@RostokMcSpoons

Apparently I did make it as far as some trees on at least one occasion. 😁

9C2E31AE-7191-4A52-AFE1-4BEFF37536B9.thumb.jpeg.2bb6a5b67fa3149c47b2adf7446ebe8b.jpeg

I don't remember pewing you - but the boy says sorry not sorry for shooting you in the back three times. 😁😁🤣

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.