Do I need a Double Eagle M90xx series gun?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

The answer is no - but I've got some money burning a hole in my pocket and before the missus changes her mind and revokes my permission slip, I need to spend it. No better excuse to buy another gun.

TBH I have loads of guns, but another one won't hurt will it?

I keep hearing about the DE guns and the value for money they represent. I see plenty of recommendations for them, hell, I've even mentioned them in conversation when discussing budget guns as G&G have basically priced themselves out of the budget market and I can't quite bring myself to mention Specna (although the 'Flex' series gun in the Z1 shop impressed me for the money - reminded me of what Combat Machines originally set out to do).

So I fancy trying a DE gun for shits'n'giggles to gain some first-hand experience - figuring at worst it would be used as a loaner/backup gun when one of my boys invites a friend to play Airsoft.

Don't care about warranties and all that bollocks - most of my guns get stripped down on the first day of ownership anyway.

Some questions for the DE gun owners on the forums:

- How has the Falcon FCS fared? Seems like a Titan knock-off (in form factor at least) with some basic functions but I don't expect miracles for the money.

- Related to above - Is anyone running 11.1v LiPo out of the box? Any major issues in doing so?

- I hear the springs and hop units are worth replacing?

- How's the plastic on the plastic-bodied guns? Is it closer to G&G than Cyma in terms of quality and fit?

- How's the finish on the metal bodied guns? Typically thin paint?

Ta muchly.

I can pipe up for the metal bodied M906C (which is a bit tricky to source, at the moment, I think)

- How has the Falcon FCS fared? Seems like a Titan knock-off (in form factor at least) with some basic functions but I don't expect miracles for the money.

It's still going strong on mine.  No pre-cocking or active braking available, but the features it has work well.
I've occasionally switched on binary mode - it's definitely a cheat-mode for semi-auto games so I don't actually use it in-game because it feels 'wrong' ;)
I have used burst fire mode, and it's easy to program (and reset)
YT video

- Related to above - Is anyone running 11.1v LiPo out of the box? Any major issues in doing so?

I freaked out about the idea of 11.1v when I first got mine, but it's fine and the extra 3 or 4 rps does make a difference (even if it's mostly psychological)
Currently running a Titan 3000mAH Li-Ion nunchuck in a PTS EPS stock.   I do manage to run it down to empty close to the end of the day.

- I hear the springs and hop units are worth replacing?

My hop unit is still fine, but a ZCI rotary for £10 can't be a bad purchase.
The stock rubber is quite hard, so Maple Leaf Macaron 50 degree + Omega nub sorted that.

The springs are definitely made of cheese, an ASG M105 cured that.   I might be a little down on power than when I first put it in though - perhaps the gearbox needs a decent bit of lube, it might be gumming up after a year and a half.   
Range and accuracy is still excellent with 0.28's.  Even better with 0.32's.

- How's the plastic on the plastic-bodied guns? Is it closer to G&G than Cyma in terms of quality and fit?
I've handled some of the rental guns and they seem pretty good, but I'll let others comment!

- How's the finish on the metal bodied guns? Typically thin paint?
Nope, the paint has held up very well... I did have a Novritsch camo cover on much of it for most of it's life, but it didn't cover the whole gun and I took it off a couple of skirmishes ago.
I run my guns on 1 and 2-point slings, and it's banging on my battle-belt for much of the time.   The only silvery bits are the edges of the RIS rail where the optics go, and the front edge of the mag well.  Some light scratches elsewhere but not gone through the paint, it still looks good!

1792677250_DEM906Cpaintwork.jpg.fcf492bed1a41e2236b8ea1d11edb054.jpg

I frickin' love my Double Eagle.   I could easily live with it as my only gun.

I'll get a battery charged up and get a video of it firing done for you (tonight or tomorrow)

Edit1:

Not much in metal bodies to be found.  Patrolbase have the fancy UTR 
https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/double-eagle-m916b-utr556-long-metal-handguard-version?pv=18901

(Personally, I'm finding I like the shorter barrels more for a central center of gravity, it's less tiring to hold in the aiming position, but it's a cool looking gun so hey-ho)

Edit2:
Oh look, good ol' BBGuns has the 906 in stock!
https://bbguns4less.co.uk/products/double-eagle-m906c-ar15-rifle-with-falcon-system-in-black.html

Note that the standard stock on the 906C is only big enough for a single tube style battery.   Stepping up to the 908 (if you can find one) gets you a crane / EPS style stock.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Edit2:
Oh look, good ol' BBGuns has the 906 in stock!
https://bbguns4less.co.uk/products/double-eagle-m906c-ar15-rifle-with-falcon-system-in-black.html

Note that the standard stock on the 906C is only big enough for a single tube style battery.   Stepping up to the 908 (if you can find one) gets you a crane / EPS style stock.

Great info - thanks mate!

I've actually had that exact gun in my basket for bbgunsforless for a couple of days now - they've been sending me polite reminder emails asking if I wish to complete the purchase.

I'm also slightly tempted by the UTR45 with a G&G PCC45 1500rd drum mag for giggles (those stick mags are too much of a faff), but an M4-based variant would be more sensible.

To be honest I'd buy an M917C UTR45 instead because a.) it's not an m4 b.)it looks cool as fuck and to me it's always looks like a modernised UMP (but actually there is a real steel version of this replica). G&G is so overpriced nowadays it's insane...

If you're into DMR bespoke airsoft sells the cheaper m904b version and sells very expensive ones as well.

Answering your hop-up unit question there is nothing wrong with a stock DE unit but the plastic ZCI from ak24m is just next level regarding adjustability. I think it's a good investment. Also, I changed hop-up bucking, inner barrel and nub.

There is nothing wrong with the plastic/metal parts on the gun but ofc don't expect LCT quality externally.

If you're set on M4 I would look around Arcturus as well. They started to make really interesting replicas recently.

Edited by Krisz

28 minutes ago, Skullchewer said:

What kind of Airsofter are you? 😲

Still got 7 or 8 guns knocking around. Probably enough spare parts to build another full gun outright.

But there's no harm in buying another, right?🙂

I did go and record a video of me shooting the gun in semi and full auto, but feck me the bloody phone decided I wanted 'timelapse' mode of all things, so the videos each last about 5 frames 💩

I really can't be arsed putting the battery back in, shepherding the cat into another room, pissing off the wife as I let the cold air in again ... blah blah blah    Maybe I'll do it again tomorrow.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

1 hour ago, Speedbird_666 said:

How is this a question?

Go stand in the corner! Go on!

Now don't come out until you've posted your new Double Eagle in the "What have you just bought" thread!

😁

3 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Depends if SWMBO finds out. I find the trick is to have so many she can't keep track

1 minute ago, Cannonfodder said:

Depends if SWMBO finds out. I find the trick is to have so many she can't keep track

Unfortunately she keeps a pretty firm track on the bank balance - with spreadsheets n'all.

30 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Unfortunately she keeps a pretty firm track on the bank balance - with spreadsheets n'all.

I wish my wife did tbh, as it is I can get away with buying new gnus by pointing at the piles of shoes and handbags overflowing from every cupboard, it's a double-edged sword, I tell ye!

I’ve a DE908a and it’s great. As I’m new to airsoft, it does everything I need it to and probably more because the Falcon Fire System has settings I’ll likely never use.

Out of the box it was shooting 280fps on .25g’s. I’ve upgraded the spring and will be putting in the ZCI Plastic hop unit tomorrow. Changing the spring alone put me up to around 330fps.

They’re solid pieces of kit, I’m really happy with it. 

11 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

330 on 0.25's is above the legal limit for full auto, you won't get to skirmish with that much power

It is marginally under the legal limit, but way over what any site would allow.

I've decided to that I want a UTR45 and a drum mag - because reloading is for chumps and I figure it would be good for a giggle. That, and it's not 'another' M4 of which I have 7.

Only problem is that the only model I can find available is the M917C, which has that gopping mock-brace stock and tiny battery compartment - so I have to wait until the 'G' model is restocked with UK retailers. I found one in stock with a NI retailer but I'm not spending £18 in postage.

So i'll just have to wait.

Thanks all for your inputs.

1 hour ago, Stillers80 said:

I’ve a DE908a and it’s great. As I’m new to airsoft, it does everything I need it to and probably more because the Falcon Fire System has settings I’ll likely never use.

Out of the box it was shooting 280fps on .25g’s. I’ve upgraded the spring and will be putting in the ZCI Plastic hop unit tomorrow. Changing the spring alone put me up to around 330fps.

They’re solid pieces of kit, I’m really happy with it. 

That's the equivalent of roughly 370fps with a 0.2g bb. Remember, as bb weight goes up fps will drop to stay at the same power level

Edit: it's also worth pointing out that higher fps doesn't eqal better range

Edited by Cannonfodder

11 hours ago, Colin Allen said:

It is marginally under the legal limit, but way over what any site would allow.

Yes you're quite right the legal limit is actually 1.3j rather than the 1.13j which is the common site limit.  How did that happen?

11 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

I've decided to that I want a UTR45 and a drum mag - because reloading is for chumps and I figure it would be good for a giggle. That, and it's not 'another' M4 of which I have 7.

Only problem is that the only model I can find available is the M917C, which has that gopping mock-brace stock and tiny battery compartment - so I have to wait until the 'G' model is restocked with UK retailers. I found one in stock with a NI retailer but I'm not spending £18 in postage.

So i'll just have to wait.

Thanks all for your inputs.

To be honest with all the price increases happening, I'd pay the extra £8 in delivery over Patrolbase et al just to to have it now, rather than risk getting a bigger increase in the main price.

And that sounds like a plausible reason to tell the wife, doesn't it?  ☺️

Edited by RostokMcSpoons
Removed word salad

10 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

To be honest with all the price increases happening, I'd pay the extra £8 in delivery over Patrolbase et al just to to have it now, rather than risk restoring and getting a bigger increase in the main price.

Fair point. I have found one small UK mainland vendor (looks like a site-attached/garage operation) that says they one of the G models left in stock. Just sent them a message to confirm before ordering.

18 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

330 on 0.25's is above the legal limit for full auto, you won't get to skirmish with that much power

I know 🥴 I’ve some fettling to do, I’ll be testing on .28’s when they get here. I get better accuracy off them.

For me what made the DE M900's great were the cheap, £160'ish polymer bodied ones, from around a year to two years ago. However it seems they don't come into stock in the UK much anymore (of course Taiwan Gun have bloody loads of them though) so all you can find are the metal bodies ones so the price get's bumped up by far too much. Are they still good value, I think so (just), but a fair comparison would be another branded gun with a GATE Aster in it (you get the features without the Titan price).

Yes the build quality is not high end, but you get so much for a good price... optical controller with proper cycle control + both piston head and spring guide have bearings + the shimming and lubrication is well done + a very good air seal. But, and you have to be careful here, is that they're not "beginner" friendly, in that the Falcon controller is not tolerant of being used hard on full auto especially on 11.1v so new players may well fry / kill it, plus its battery management is poor and if you forget to take the battery out after a days skirmishing you may find next day a Li-Po with a VERY low cell voltage and possibly even to the point it's been damaged. I love all of mine, but I've been looking after them well (however the M908A's metal receiver is looking well worn now, the paint is very thin / not hard wearing, but I like the look), and I think they'll last me for years yet (I've already swapped in loads of better parts, they're very much "Trigger's Broom").

Personally I'm not sure I'd buy one of their sub machine guns though, mags + some spare parts are a little hard to come by.

32 minutes ago, Fatboy40 said:

For me what made the DE M900's great were the cheap, £160'ish polymer bodied ones,

They used to be £114 from Taiwangun when they first released. I do kick myself for not ordering more stuf  before they stopped shipping to the UK. 😒

37 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

They used to be £114 from Taiwangun when they first released. I do kick myself for not ordering more stuf  before they stopped shipping to the UK. 😒

According to Taiwangun on Reddit they're close to being able to ship directly to the UK again. They just want to make sure that everything is going to go to plan before they launch it.

See here.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.