Question on face protection laws/rules for under 18s

Hazza

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello there, I have been thinking of getting a helmet, eye pro and a face shield in the future as an upgrade to my kit. I currently use a full face (one that is all of it in one)

I am wondering if it is possible for me to have a helmet, eye pro and a face shield as someone who is under 18. I know that the laws say that anyone under the age of 18 must have full face protection and I would like to know if all that stuff counts as full face protection and i can use it.

Thanks

34 minutes ago, Hazza said:

Hello there, I have been thinking of getting a helmet, eye pro and a face shield in the future as an upgrade to my kit. I currently use a full face (one that is all of it in one)

I am wondering if it is possible for me to have a helmet, eye pro and a face shield as someone who is under 18. I know that the laws say that anyone under the age of 18 must have full face protection and I would like to know if all that stuff counts as full face protection and i can use it.

Thanks

The ‘law’ doesn’t say that under 18s are to specifically wear full face protection.

Site rules and their liability insurance require full face protection.

Safety standards in require compliant eye protection, but in airsoft that is the minimum standard and sites/risk assessments & mitigation and insurers are allowing over 18s a level of self responsibility 

In paintball there are long established standards which went from “this is a new thing and there is no safety standard, but we don’t want to be sued, so you must wear eye protection and try to avoid shooting heads in case it comes off” to attaching face shields, and ultimately setting international standards of paintball protective goggles which cover the eyes, face & ears and chin straps

Your question should be directed to the sites that you play at

…. And be prepared to get one answer in advance and to get a different answer when you turn up and try to play 

Edited by Tommikka

• Supporters
37 minutes ago, Hazza said:

I know that the laws say that anyone under the age of 18 must have full face protection

Eh, what?  No, there's no "law", it's entirely down to the site and their insurer's terms.  You'll need to ask the site(s) where you play.

What's typical (but not universal) is that under 16s need a single piece full face, like a paintball mask, while 16-17 can have two-piece eyepro + lower face protection.

But we can't guess what your site will allow, either in principle, or in practice on the day.

[EDIT]

3 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

And be prepared to get one answer in advance and to get a different answer when you turn up and try to play

Beat me to it by seconds. :D 

2 hours ago, Hazza said:

Thanks

Has been said, but it's not the law. When I started at the age of 14, I wore only safety glasses because my site was okay with that (this was back when airsoft was still very niche). The reason why most sites will say that under 18s need to wear full face protection is due to the site's insurance cover. For example, my local site, Worthing Airsoft, says all under 18s have to wear full face protection, but only under 14s have to have it as one piece; people between the ages of 14-18 can choose to wear whatever combination as long as it covers their whole face, so can wear what you're thinking of getting.

That's just my local site though and your mileage may vary. Might be worth checking with your local site just to make sure you'll be okay to run the eye-pro + face shield combo.

Sites vary on the definition and often different Marshall’s interpret it differently. No surprise.

My local site(s) are full face for under eighteens. I think one of them is happy for that to be separate eyepro and face shield.

If I had to choose I’d recommend a quality full face in one mask paintball style for everyone, particularly on big games.

Mostly as popping up from cover it’s not unknown to get full auto from trigger happy “friends” who are behind you. More chance of this catching you on the angle of glasses and getting under them.

I’m a hypocrite as I mostly use glasses and carry a face shield for when it gets close up, inevitably I fail to put it on. 🙄

• Supporters
On 02/11/2022 at 21:19, Tommikka said:

Your question should be directed to the sites that you play at

On 02/11/2022 at 21:22, Rogerborg said:

You'll need to ask the site(s) where you play.

On 02/11/2022 at 23:24, Impulse said:

Might be worth checking with your local site just to make sure you'll be okay to run the eye-pro + face shield combo

On 03/11/2022 at 00:03, The Waco Kid said:

Sites vary on the definition

@RogerborgI think that @Hazzamight need to ask the site about their rules ….

@hazza

As a combination of the fact that I’m a paintballer, being familiar with the medical history of an American who goes by the name of ‘One eye’, and having both witnessed and heard many tales of Marshall’s getting BBs either wedged into the side of their glasses type eye protection, or getting inside the eye area and also having seen the result of ‘high jinks’ of dry firing with co2 blasting dust into the eye ……..

I’m always going to recommend full face goggles.

As an alternative in airsoft I’ll then recommend a second option of ski goggle type eye protection, provided it meets impact standards and also seals around the eye area.

As you want to wear a helmet look at low profile goggles such as Dyes, which are designed for small profiles 

(But as with all goggles depends on your head size & shape - youngsters may have small heads which render the Dye family as ‘standard’ rather than small

But ultimately - ask the site that you intend to play at, as everyone’s rules vary

18 hours ago, Hazza said:

One of my mates said

All too often the opening line of stories about why shit went wrong. As others have posted the only way to get a definite answer is to ask the site

23 hours ago, Hazza said:

One of my mates said that apparently you need to have the lower face shield/guard attached to the eye protection? I'm not sure if that's the case though?

My 13 3/4 year old son has been playing for ages with a helmet, Bolle goggles and a Delta Mike snood, and not a single site has said his protection does not meet their requirements. I'll update this post in a mo with a photo so you can see how he's setup...

Update: This is him at around 13 1/2 years old during summer 2022 and no site ever complained about his protection...

gM6lVmil.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gM6lVmi.jpg

Edited by Fatboy40

That looks like a great setup.👍

I think I would encourage him to have his arms covered. Young skin is softer than older leathery skin lol.

1 hour ago, Shamal said:

I think I would encourage him to have his arms covered. Young skin is softer than older leathery skin lol.

It was a really hot Sunday so he took his sleeved top and chest rig off (I think I was off throwing up in a bush due to heat-stroke).

5 minutes ago, Fatboy40 said:

It was a really hot Sunday so he took his sleeved top and chest rig off (I think I was off throwing up in a bush due to heat-stroke).

Yeah know how that feels ☹️

When we had the heatwave back in July,August the slightest exertion had me melting.game play was at a crawl lol.

19 hours ago, Hazza said:

I asked my site and they confirmed that it was all good to wear that, I wanted to confirm as i dont play outdoors right now, i play cqb. thanks

Do keep your full face and pack it when you play, just in case, as you can get denied on the day and it’s preferable to have your own then the well used rental 

21 hours ago, Shamal said:

Old leathery skin isn’t totally immune either 

B68B7613-8B90-4882-ADB0-E2436130BBCB.jpeg.096df5fd9a1e3ca6ba5eee0a73503825.jpeg

This wasn’t mine - just from wiki.  But it’s the spitting image of mine which suddenly flared up with a touch of students elbow 

19 hours ago, Fatboy40 said:

I don’t do well in heat, and prefer to be in a t-shirt or light top …. But at one very hot tournament that I was photographing, during the morning captains brief the head referee added clarification that all players must wear full arm coverage, so I asked just to clarify … “But I’m fine like this?” in my official event media wife beater vest….. “No, everyone else will just winge”

So I was stuck sweating in double layers

1 hour ago, Tommikka said:

Do keep your full face and pack it when you play, just in case, as you can get denied on the day and it’s preferable to have your own then the well used rental 

Yea ill take it but i dont think id get denied as it was the owner that confirmed it and told what what would be best when wearing it

• Supporters
49 minutes ago, Hazza said:

the owner that confirmed it

Don't be surprised if he's not there on the day, and his marshal team have very different ideas.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.