Good options for tiger stripe?

The_Lord_Poncho

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Right, so I've spent an inordinate amount of time trawling past threads and Google in an attempt to source a good (and currently available) set of tiger stripe.

Appreciating there are many many varieties, the pattern that I'm most keen on is the less dense/less dark/more green than brown type- often called 'John Wayne' pattern.

Authenticity of cut is not a problem for me- in fact a modern crye style would be ideal (albeit I can't seem to locate any long inseam/non black body options in that cut).

I note that Helikon do a pair of trousers in the tiger stripe style that is inviting- so that would be an option. But they don't do a top half! Might the Truspec 'original vietnam pattern' tiger stripe shirt be a fair match?

Any other suggestions? Ideally under £100 for the set.

• Supporters

I was gonna recommend flecktarn.co.uk, but their Tru-spec stuff is showing out of stock☹️, might be worth giving them a call regarding a restock.? 

The range of different TS camo on Ebay is dizzying.  That that may be due to factories not knowing what the hell patterns they are replicating is besides the point.  

My son simply trawled through page after page until he found a pair of M65 TC that were close enough.  The pair he got from Forces Kit Direct have lasted him well, but they are probably a bit too brown for you.  

If you don't mind serious trawling, have a look at some of the lizard designs.  It's occasionally a fine line to separate the two patterns in some of the more obscure/old commercial items. 

Moore Militaria in the US do runs of Nam era kit in all of the harder to get camo patterns.  You may have to pre-order.  

Russian MVD uniforms come in a modern cut and half a dozen TS patterns at least (some useless blue though).  One is pretty light green and similar to Portuguese Mozambique era lizard. 

Outstanding leads there! Yes, i had looked at Flectarn  - as you say, unfortunately out of stock. Just had a cabby at the Moore Militaria site   -very funky gold tiger stripe in stock at the moment (actually i think Soldier of Fortune have some of the gold in at the moment as well ). I did look wider at the SOF stuff - that would definitely be an option in the 'tadpole' pattern. I'd need to check the inseam leg and check that its a minimum of 33inch though.

I see what you mean by the russian camo - but its quite 'lizardy'....

I think i've found a source of truspec shirts, and the photos (the flectarn.co.uk photos are pretty good) do put it looking rather similar in shade and pattern to the helikon trousers (which i am tempted to try simply because of the more modern cut). For the time being, i think its between that option and the SOF set...

Its amazing which direction that the purchase of an XM177 take you!

Platatac's Project Tigerstripe range is fantastic, but outside of the £100 you mentioned.

Some good options from Gadge on the Vietnam SF loadout video from  AATV 

17 hours ago, C-Diddy said:

Platatac's Project Tigerstripe range is fantastic, but outside of the £100 you mentioned.

Some good options from Gadge on the Vietnam SF loadout video from  AATV 

AATV have stopped doing vids, which is a shame as they did some good stuff

9 hours ago, sjhirst said:

weapon762.com has some tiger stripe stuff in. I haven't looked at it all, but might be something there for you?

I've taken a look - unfortunately nothing in my size in stock - however it has put me onto the idea that a chinese company called 'TMC' do crye style tigerstripe trousers etc - which look like they go up to about a 33inch inseam... food for thought, thanks!

I've had a look at some of those AATV videos before - i'll have a ganders at that one when i get home.they certainly go into a lot of detail!

8 minutes ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

AATV have stopped doing vids, which is a shame as they did some good stuff

They've stopped doing weekly videos but they'll still post stuff. 

Tom put a post up on Insta this week  saying the VFC FAL review will be up soon

Just now, The_Lord_Poncho said:

I've taken a look - unfortunately nothing in my size in stock - however it has put me onto the idea that a chinese company called 'TMC' do crye style tigerstripe trousers etc - which look like they go up to about a 33inch inseam... food for thought, thanks!

I've had a look at some of those AATV videos before - i'll have a ganders at that one when i get home.they certainly go into a lot of detail!

I was tempted by the TMC G3 clones, which I think are within your budget. Can't comment on quality as the only TMC gear I have is a clone Safariland holster and Spiritus chest rig, both of which are fine.

The TMC tigerstripe looks to be black, whereas some, like Platatac, are more blue.

DW-CAMO-B-14-8-22-33.thumb.jpg.56d59eb7f4f70c58489b3054fc40b450.jpg

18 minutes ago, C-Diddy said:

They've stopped doing weekly videos but they'll still post stuff. 

Tom put a post up on Insta this week  saying the VFC FAL review will be up soon

Sound, the Fal looks good, although the plastic on it looks very plasticiky

• Supporters
18 hours ago, The_Lord_Poncho said:

I have the FFI set of Crye Gen 3 style Tiger stripe and it's definitely better quality than the TMC stuff. JK Army is the main stockist but they're out of stock on everything except size L https://shop.jkarmy.com/ffi-tiger-stripe-camo-gen3-combat-set-black-edition-2021-ver-g3-gen-3.html

4 hours ago, Lozart said:

I have the FFI set of Crye Gen 3 style Tiger stripe and it's definitely better quality than the TMC stuff. JK Army is the main stockist but they're out of stock on everything except size L https://shop.jkarmy.com/ffi-tiger-stripe-camo-gen3-combat-set-black-edition-2021-ver-g3-gen-3.html

Many thanks - I'd actually found FFI - and explored the available sizes on JK army! I've come across another outfit who seem to make very very similar (possibly just a re-brand?) get-ups - 'Krydex' with supposedly a 33inch inseam on the 36inch+ waist sizes. Definitely a contender! Just wondered if anyone had heard of them/used them, and if so, what the quality and sizing is genuinely like?

• Supporters
22 minutes ago, The_Lord_Poncho said:

Many thanks - I'd actually found FFI - and explored the available sizes on JK army! I've come across another outfit who seem to make very very similar (possibly just a re-brand?) get-ups - 'Krydex' with supposedly a 33inch inseam on the 36inch+ waist sizes. Definitely a contender! Just wondered if anyone had heard of them/used them, and if so, what the quality and sizing is genuinely like?

I've had TMC stuff and it's not bad at all, sizing can be a bit on the Asian side though. It's also better than the Emerson kit in terms of finish. FFI are "western" sized. I'm a 29-30" inseam and the XL set is definitely on the long side for me but it still fits OK. Knee pads are actually on my knees for example.

Krydex are (I think) made by the same factory that does TMC so basically the same stuff. 

On 20/10/2022 at 17:30, Lozart said:

I've had TMC stuff and it's not bad at all, sizing can be a bit on the Asian side though. It's also better than the Emerson kit in terms of finish. FFI are "western" sized. I'm a 29-30" inseam and the XL set is definitely on the long side for me but it still fits OK. Knee pads are actually on my knees for example.

Krydex are (I think) made by the same factory that does TMC so basically the same stuff. 

I have some Emerson G3s in various patterns and was reasonably happy with them...until one of the shirts (the one in the phot above) ripped like tissue paper when i pulled it to take it off. And I don't just mean a small rip, the thing basically shit itself and was torn to shreds, so maybe give the TMC a go 😆

Edited by C-Diddy
Typo

• 3 weeks later...

In way of an update, I went for the Krydex set in the end - only took 2 weeks to turn up from china, and cost a smidgen over £100 with postage and tax. Actually very pleased with them, they feel excellent quality, and the sizing is true to the table on the website.

Pattern looks great - a fairly green and black dominant tiger stripe, quite big spacing between the stripes (which I like) with only a very little brown thrown into the mix. Awesome! The only down sides (which I knew before I ordered it) is the use of black stretch fabric - e.g. around the knees, and the torso of the shirt. Not that it looks bad, but from a concealment point of view, I would imagine green fabric would be better. No great drama though.

IMG_20221107_130725_297.jpg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.