Problem selling a rif

emilianoksa

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Imo theres a simple way to determine if an airsoft gun is a rif. Ask yourself if waving it around in your local post office wod be a wise idea

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

Imo theres a simple way to determine if an airsoft gun is a rif. Ask yourself if waving it around in your local post office wod be a wise idea

Exactly, irrespective of the "technicalities" all it takes is one person to make a call "I'm scared, man with a gun" or words to that effect, & the police response would likely be overwhelming. 

Even if the "gunman" hasn't attempted to use the if/rif in the commission of a crime, if the attending plod feel its realistic enough to cause fear or distress, then they'll likely apply whatever charge they think fits & pass the buck to the cps. 

If they then push the matter, you gonna have to pray the beak is an airsoft fan, but don't hold your breath lol. 

We have these discussions every few months-ish, & the seasoned players always push the "JUST BE SENSIBLE" approach, but ultimately, if you play silly games, you will win silly prizes 😏

download (19).jpg

I don’t think anyone in the discussion disagrees about the instant consequences of the public waving of an imitation - and that offence is actually very straightforward (as explained) and the article doesn’t even have to resemble a gun - as said two pipes taped together resembling a shotgun barrel is an “imitation firearm”  for the purposes of the 1968 Firearms Act

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Tommikka said:

38.7b

A clause that only a lawyer could love.  It's just begging for some juicy "What Parliament meant to say was..." case law.

4 hours ago, Hudson said:

TBF, the pulse rifle is just a Thompson in a body kit.

Nonsense, the Thompson doesn't shoot 10mm explosive-tip caseless standard light armour-piercing rounds. :P 

3 hours ago, you can`t shoot me said:

So you think you would be fine waving about an if at your local post office?

We know for a fact that sitting outside a bank with a bright orange springer - that everybody in the case agrees is a "toy" - can get you prosecuted and convicted.

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

A clause that only a lawyer could love.  It's just begging for some juicy "What Parliament meant to say was..." case law.

Nonsense, the Thompson doesn't shoot 10mm explosive-tip caseless standard light armour-piercing rounds. :P 

We know for a fact that sitting outside a bank with a bright orange springer - that everybody in the case agrees is a "toy" - can get you prosecuted and convicted.

Think that conviction has been overturned on appeal ??  That happened near me 

• Supporters
15 hours ago, 1967PF44 said:

Think that conviction has been overturned on appeal ??  That happened near me 

Doesn't look like it, but he avoided jail.  Even the Sheriff sounds disbelieving that it reached court, but reach it it did.  Just keep your reasonable excuse to hand.

18 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

My takeaway from that article, is that being a child is actually a "defence" for owning a RIF.

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

My takeaway from that article, is that being a child is actually a "defence" for owning a RIF.

An IF maybe, not a RIF. The comment was made in reference to it being bright orange and obviously made of plastic.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Doesn't look like it, but he avoided jail.  Even the Sheriff sounds disbelieving that it reached court, but reach it it did.  Just keep your reasonable excuse to hand.

I’m pretty sure the conviction was quashed on appeal- it’s probably an unreported appeal (probably  undefended by the CRown) so no internet trace of it on Scot courts website - I remember the case - it actually met the legal classification of a “Toy”  - it was all very bizzare - I think the important factor in convicting him was his own explanation of the purpose of having it -“ I’ll use it on people who don’t give me money”  - 

Edited by 1967PF44

• Supporters
8 hours ago, 1967PF44 said:

I’m pretty sure the conviction was quashed on appeal- it’s probably an unreported appeal (probably  undefended by the CRown) so no internet trace of it on Scot courts website

Quite possibly.  While "any thing which has the appearance of being a firearm" is an extremely broad definition, it's hard to see how a half-sized bright orange toy could meet it.

The take-away point is that it can be prosecuted, and the process isn't one that I'd wish on anyone.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Quite possibly.  While "any thing which has the appearance of being a firearm" is an extremely broad definition, it's hard to see how a half-sized bright orange toy could meet it.

The take-away point is that it can be prosecuted, and the process isn't one that I'd wish on anyone.

Absolutely- anytime I am carrying airsoft guns - I know exactly what I’m telling the police in the very unlikely happens and I’m asked !! 

I’ve been stopped 3 times (I happen to pass a regular road check point) on the way home from late evening games with guns in the car- police have never really flinched, always been professional, never been a drama - one occasion the guns were not in bags or cases as I had collected a couple of extras lol 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.