What is good eye pro to replace my Bolle X800?

Harvem

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I'm currently using a Bolle X800 as eye pro. However after seeing this post on Reddit, where someone almost lost their eye, I don't feel comfortable using them anymore, and am looking for a replacement.

However there's so many options out there, so I could use some help to make a choice.

Here's what I want from my eye pro:

- Gotta be true full seal.

- Gonna be used both in CQB and woodland games.

- Preferably low/medium profile, though still protects my face enough. I wear a helmet and a mesh mask, so I want the goggles to not leave too much of a gap between the helm and the goggles, and the goggles and the mesh mask.

- Doesn't fog too much.

I'm not looking for a paintball mask like a Dye since I'm going for more of a realistic look, so really looking into goggles.

Here's what I have found so far:

- Pyramex I-force

- Bolle Tracker 2

- Bolle X1000

- Revision Desert Locus

I wonder if the really low profile ones, like the I-force and the Tracker 2, will offer enough protection, especially in CQB? Won't they leave a lot of skin exposed between the goggles and my helmet/mesh mask?

But then again they're fairly cheap, while the medium profiles one like the X1000 and Desert Locus are a lot more expensive. I might buy an Exfog if fog is a problem with my new goggles, but combined with expensive goggles, that quickly becomes a very expensive setup.

So, any ideas or advice as to these goggles, or any others you guys wanna recommend?

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Harvem said:

I wonder if the really low profile ones, like the I-force and the Tracker 2, will offer enough protection, especially in CQB? Won't they leave a lot of skin exposed between the goggles and my helmet/mesh mask?

Yes, but if you're really concerned about gaps, then why rule out a Dye or equivalent?

The I-force have decent seal and the dual pane works pretty well.  The inner lenses are prone to some peculiar crazing. Mine didn't do that, but I replaced them with some cheap PETG anyway when they got a bit mucky and scuffed.  I'd recommend them at the price as a default choice.

Although bear in mind that Murcans tend to run at higher energies, and everybody loves a good "I nearly got turned into a newt" story.

I'm using a set of ESS British Army surplus goggles.  Full seal, and once you know to pop the lenses away from the face to open the vents, they're pretty good at not fogging up (any movement will get enough air through those vents to clear them)

Dirt cheap too!  (Well mine were, looks like they're ~£30 at the moment)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175352472498

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Yes, but if you're really concerned about gaps, then why rule out a Dye or equivalent?

The I-force have decent seal and the dual pane works pretty well.  The inner lenses are prone to some peculiar crazing. Mine didn't do that, but I replaced them with some cheap PETG anyway when they got a bit mucky and scuffed.  I'd recommend them at the price as a default choice.

Although bear in mind that Murcans tend to run at higher energies, and everybody loves a good "I nearly got turned into a newt" story.

I just don't like how a Dye looks. Good to know about the possible crazing of the I-force.

54 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I'm using a set of ESS British Army surplus goggles.  Full seal, and once you know to pop the lenses away from the face to open the vents, they're pretty good at not fogging up (any movement will get enough air through those vents to clear them)

Dirt cheap too!  (Well mine were, looks like they're ~£30 at the moment)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175352472498

Looks good and affordable, thanks for the suggestion!

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Harvem said:

Looks good and affordable, thanks for the suggestion!

I used to have a set of those but ditched them when a BB got inside through the vent gap.

4 minutes ago, Lozart said:

I used to have a set of those but ditched them when a BB got inside through the vent gap.

OK thanks for that info.. I'll take a look at gluing some more mesh over the top... 

I rarely wear anything but mesh, but I did try a pair of Dickies amber lensed dual pane goggles a few games ago.  Light as specs and minimal fog.  

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

I rarely wear anything but mesh, but I did try a pair of Dickies amber lensed dual pane goggles a few games ago.  Light as specs and minimal fog.  

The heck?  £5 for dual pane goggles?  Goes to show the markup on things like I-forces.

• Supporters
9 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

OK thanks for that info.. I'll take a look at gluing some more mesh over the top... 

So you actually need to take the foam dust filter OFF the vent strips to stop them from fogging, the bit where the BB can get in is that to REALLY open them up to vent you basically pull the lens unit forward and the outer edge hinges open. There's definitely better options out there.

If you can afford them, get fan goggles (ESS Profile Turbofan or Revision Desert Locust with fan). Or just buy some decent mesh ones from our very own @heroshark

I'm currently running Bolle X810 goggles and I have to be honest but I fail to see how a BB got in there if he was wearing them properly.

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

So you actually need to take the foam dust filter OFF the vent strips to stop them from fogging, the bit where the BB can get in is that to REALLY open them up to vent you basically pull the lens unit forward and the outer edge hinges open. There's definitely better options out there.

Yeah I can see that if you're wearing the ESS goggles over a helmet, the hinge structure that allows the headband strap to expand outwards over the top of the helmet creates a noticeable gap in the sides.   It'd still be unlucky to have a shot find it's way through, but we've got to be all about taking luck out of the equation when it comes to  keeping our eyesight. 

So if I ever get a helmet, I'll ditch them, but at the moment I still run with caps / hats which don't create that problem.

In the meantime I'll strip off the foam bits and run them with the lenses in the safer 'back' position.   
Edit: And I've ordered some semi-rigid fine plastic mesh which I can glue on to provide some extra protection for the vent holes... which might be overkill but I'll see if it'll make me feel safer! 

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

The heck?  £5 for dual pane goggles?  Goes to show the markup on things like I-forces.

Bloody hell - That's a decent price if it's properly rated. The Valken-badged version of this cost me £30 and replacement lenses seemed a bitch to get hold of.

I live literally 2mins drive from the Christchurch store (In-Excess is a local company to me - head office is 30mins up the road in Salisbury) so I will have a look to see if they have any in stock.

6 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Bloody hell - That's a decent price if it's properly rated. The Valken-badged version of this cost me £30 and replacement lenses seemed a bitch to get hold of.

I live literally 2mins drive from the Christchurch store (In-Excess is a local company to me - head office is 30mins up the road in Salisbury) so I will have a look to see if they have any in stock.

Damn, I'm literally the same distance from the Ringwood branch. Worth a punt for £5! 

• Supporters

In before "u get wut u pay 4", anything with 2mm or so of polycarbonate is going to do much the same job for impact protection, and the production cost is just a few Yuan either way.  Dropping big money on glasses isn't actually going to buy you transparent mithril.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.