Does a UKARA number expire?

SussexMatt

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Per the title really. Does it expire? If I can find my old number can I still just use that or do just need to do the 3 in 2? Not a problem but thought it was worth asking. 

• Supporters

It's supposed to expire after a year.  As always, it's entirely up to the seller to decide what they'll accept.  You're fine to try and buy and see if a seller is willing to sell - you're not committing any offence.

Importation is a lot riskier.  One cheeky chappy here reckons he managed to get something through on an expired UKARA this year, but I wouldn't gamble on it personally.

As above, after a year. I've unknowingly tried to purchase after mine had just expired and have always been pulled up on it.

Thought there was an expiration date, thanks fellas. I know there are some that accept other memberships, was surprised to see Sportsman's Assoc accepted by some. I've joined that as I'm a sporting shotgun user and quite keen to defend gun owner rights. 

5 minutes ago, SussexMatt said:

Thought there was an expiration date, thanks fellas. I know there are some that accept other memberships, was surprised to see Sportsman's Assoc accepted by some. I've joined that as I'm a sporting shotgun user and quite keen to defend gun owner rights. 

Wonder if anyone accepts BASC? That would be handy...

BASC and Sportsmans do the same thing effectively, BASC is bigger obvs so if the accept Sportsmans then cant see why they wouldn't.  In fact they have an airgun only membership which would surely constitute a defence? 

Edited by SussexMatt

• Supporters
2 hours ago, SussexMatt said:

In fact they have an airgun only membership which would surely constitute a defence? 

It surely doesn't.  The defence is specific to things that "need" a RIF, i.e. museum, theatrics, or playing pretend soldiers.

However, as above, it's entirely up to sellers what they'll accept.  I doubt it will ever be an issue for them.

Of course, it's all an utter farce, as "Want that one" suffices (in England and Waleshire) for purchasing much more dangerous airgun firearms that look absolutely identical to the airsoft version.

It's just a game with very flexible rules that aren't really enforced.  Much like airsoft. ;) 

5 hours ago, Floperator said:

Nice! 

I mean I'm still going to end up getting a UKARA No. but at least this gives me options...

Just keep it in mind that there are ‘Defences’ under legislation:

Reenactment, museums, film & TV, Crown work, skirmishing etc

These defences do not rely on any specific scheme, but for sales in the UK it’s up to the seller to comply 

So if you don’t have a UKARA number it is still possible to get yourself something to enable a purchase from one retailer or another 

I would definitely not recommend gambling on different methods to import as it all comes down to your responsibility - even ‘proper’ defences can fail at the border 

4 hours ago, Tommikka said:

I would definitely not recommend gambling on different methods to import as it all comes down to your responsibility - even ‘proper’ defences can fail at the border 

Yeah fully agreed, I'll let the retailers take all the import risks. Not like we're guaranteed to save on VAT like we used to be either.

• 3 weeks later...

Never had a ukara and never had a problem buying a pew pew. If you want me defence try looking at my Facebook 5 years of game play pic’s. And before You go off at me I got pulled over by the police once they thought I was a drug dealer when they looked in my boot to find it full of BB guns I just showed him my Facebook pictures of me playing and they were completely happy to let it go. the black bag full of weed was a different story 😂 

I know my Ukara has expired, but I have bought in the past with it.  Still at the same address and I have bought from said retailers in the past - even before Ukara existed.

On 06/04/2022 at 16:44, Rogerborg said:

It's supposed to expire after a year.  As always, it's entirely up to the seller to decide what they'll accept.  You're fine to try and buy and see if a seller is willing to sell - you're not committing any offence.

Importation is a lot riskier.  One cheeky chappy here reckons he managed to get something through on an expired UKARA this year, but I wouldn't gamble on it personally.

Wish I'd seen this earlier, would've had a go with my slightly outdated UKARA to see if I could get the SMLE from patrol base

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco
4 hours ago, JamesAirsofterAgent said:

Wish I'd seen this earlier, would've had a go with my slightly outdated UKARA to see if I could get the SMLE from patrol base

I can def confirm that PatrolBase are a retailler that checks - Mine was in-date, but registered to an old address, and that was enough for them to ask me to get it changed over

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.