Custom Pistol Build Thread

frontsight

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Thanks! Had to troubleshoot a lot to get the parts to jibe together but really happy how it turned out.

The barrel is an AM comp ready barrel (16mm I think?), and the hammer I got from WIItech. Never heard of them so was a bit of a gamble but it turned out to be CNC'd and properly blued as well; would recommend them if you want a commander hammer

The sharp edges from the thumb and grip safety on my TRP was chewing up the webbing on my supple medium sized hands, so I made a quick weekend project out of blending the grip safety into the frame.

--------------------------------------------------

The guarder thumb safety for the V10 model has the correct design for a springfield style safety, but has a 90 degree edge which really digs in to the web of your hand. You can see the RS safety comes with a rather steep bevel to prevent this. I had initially ground this out a bit, but still wasn't enough for my sensitive hands.

IMG_9663.thumb.jpg.1a9d9c9271954ffad5fd863008cce500.jpg

Similar issues with fitting a hi-capa grip safety to a 1911 frame. The Nova grip safety is really good quality but just doesn't fit correctly with the Guarder frame.

IMG_9661.thumb.jpg.2c21359a9b5a2a2137d2a7a3535fdc30.jpg

Was originally going to mark the grip safety blue to make sure I didn't alter the shape of it too much. Unfortunately I got the wrong marking fluid, should have gotten dykem blue layout fluid but got the non-drying kind instead. Ended up smearing the blue everywhere

IMG_9658.thumb.jpg.099cfcde67476877bc000101db2d9a6e.jpg

Blended the grip & thumb safety, both in the engaged position. Initial grind with half-round file

IMG_9665.thumb.jpg.887da4f3e76001305e8a3cef3b5473a7.jpg

Removed file marks with sandpaper. Remnants of the blue smurf paste seen in the background

IMG_9674.thumb.jpg.efef21673d384d3dfd0abc11bb16526e.jpg

IMG_9678.thumb.jpg.58a74e987a83ac0197d8786e4a39af3e.jpg

Finished results. Might clean up the uneven angles on the thumb safety a bit more, but pretty pleased how it turned out as it is.

Now the grip safety portion feels like grabbing on to a stick of butter.

IMG_9681.thumb.jpg.dc6a149dd0063c8f2a1ac7c0372a9030.jpg

Now I just need to decide a cerakote color to refinish...

What do you think? Should I go with the original bushed/bead-blasted two tone (left) or a overall satin stainless color (right)?

I don't think springfield offers this two-tone brushed finish on their TRP's, and only does this on their "loaded" models.

loaded.thumb.png.a02d10c65b91ba5036ceca19ec4b95d2.png

P.S. Tutorial for you handymen to try it out if you'd like

1 hour ago, PopRocket123 said:

TM USP c with a 3d printed rail and suppressor mount

That looks awesome!!!

Can you also share when you have it printed? Really curious as to how it comes out. That thing is going to look killer 👍

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Steveocee said:

Following.

Honored! Glad that there's people who enjoy the content.

Please feel free to show off your own pistols as well! Really looking forward to some inspiration from other users too

Limcat slides seem to be the end-all for quality hicapa slides. Never had the chance to try one before.

Also, does the slide stop still function when you install those forward assist thingys (not sure what they're called)?

4 minutes ago, Stratton Oakmont said:

Hair in photo belongs to this

Didn't even notice until you mentioned 😁

Edited by frontsight

39 minutes ago, frontsight said:

Those color combos are pretty sick! Could you let me know where do you get the limcat slides? I've been meaning to get in to a full-on Hi capa build but can't seem to find decent slides anywhere..

Kyle @ Hi Capa Hub is where you want to go.

He's virtually taken over from Mike and his Elite site now and very often if you message can get in bespoke or one off stuff if you want to go super special. I know a build he's just done and my gosh it's like ticking every optional extra lmao

6 minutes ago, Alimcd said:

was pleased with how these cheeky chappies turned out

Jesus! Those are some unique builds; I have so many questions 

How did you get a patterned finish like that on the first gun? Is it hydro dipped?

How/who/where is it possible to fit wood grips on hi capa grips? 

7 minutes ago, Steveocee said:

Kyle @ Hi Capa Hub is where you want to go.

4 minutes ago, Alimcd said:

THE go to Hicapa guy in the UK.

I see. That's great there's someone akin to Mike from ESC, I initially contacted him for the Cerakote but was sad to hear he's now retiring.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.