G&G CM16 Raider 2.0Le Mods/Upgrades

Nathan442

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all fairly new to airsoft, I’ve recently bought a G&G CM16 raider 2.0Le and was wondering if anyone recommends and upgrades.

The gun is completely stock.

Is there anything that would massively improve performance.

Im willing to give any upgrades a go

We generally recommend NOT to upgrade a new gun.   It often takes a few hundred BB's through it to bed in.

As @concretesnailsaid, important to clean the barrel. (Be careful with the hop when cleaning)

The best thing you can do at the moment is to change the connector to DEANS and get a couple of good Li-Po batteries and intelligent charger.

Search the forum for more info...

Edited by EDcase

16 minutes ago, concretesnail said:

What is it lacking? What have you done so far?

If you've done nothing I'd start with getting the barrel throughly cleaned and the hop set.

Not sure really what it’s lacking just wondering if anyone recommends anything. I have set the hop, I will give the barrel a clean. How often should you clean the barrel ?

7 minutes ago, EDcase said:

We generally recommend NOT to upgrade a new gun.

As @concretesnailsaid, important to clean the barrel. Be careful with the hop when cleaning.

Thanks for the reply, may I ask why it’s not recommended to upgrade new guns ?

• Supporters
24 minutes ago, Nathan442 said:

Not sure really what it’s lacking just wondering if anyone recommends anything. I have set the hop, I will give the barrel a clean. How often should you clean the barrel ?

Clean it because it's new, then it's up to you. I rarely clean mine but I have several guns to chose from so none of them ever really get dirty as such.

Otherwise, use it, have fun and work out what it doesn't do for you and remember - you don't always need more range, sometimes you just need to get closer.

You rarely need to clean the barrel but mainly when its new out of the factory. (I've polished the barrel on some of mine too)

Experienced players might upgrade a new gun because they know what needs doing to change a certain characteristic and they have other guns as spares if something doesn't work.

Some upgrades do not work well with other stock parts so it takes some experience to know what parts work well with others.

We recommend playing with what you have until you have an idea of what you want to improve and then research how to do it.

You might have a gun that performs better than average and not know it...

Edited by EDcase

• Supporters

generally i tend to suggest cleaning the barrel before every outing, it might be dirty, it might not, but if you clean it before every game then it definitely won't be dirty. it's not particularly time consuming or difficult and it's amazing how much performance can be lost through lack of cleaning.

suggesting upgrades is a very personal thing as it'll depend a lot on what particular area of performance you want to improve, and how far you want to go in improving it. so the general advice is leave it alone, go and play a few games, then start thinking "what is my gun not doing well enough for me?", followed up by "how much better will i be happy with?", then you can come back with a more specific question and we can advise on what areas you'd want to look at to address that issue.

you'll also get a good feel on how well the gun performs so when you start tinkering you have an idea whether or not the work you've done has actually made the gun any better, because that's not necessarily a guarantee.

Whilst i wholeheartedly agree in principle with the above, there are some issues with the gun you have chosen that really should be rectified with some (non-invasive) upgrades. Perhaps these are not 'upgrades', more like fixes to make your experience a whole lot nicer.

The G&G Raider-L 2.0 is equipped with G&G's notorious ETU unit which (unless recently rectified by G&G) has been a royal pain in the rectum when it comes to batteries (and reliability!) for many a player.

The low-voltage cutoff will simply shut the gun down prematurely unless you are using 9.6v NiMhs, or 11.1v LiPos (bye bye warranty with some retailers with the latter). Commonly used 7.4v LiPo's can be very problematic.

The fitting of a Perun ETU++ will fix this issue, it's a simple plug-in job that does not require the receiver to be opened up. You can then use a small 7.4v LiPo (space is a premium in that little PDW stock receiver extension).

Problem is - you are then left with the godawful stock ferrite motor which ain't great on a 7.4v LiPo. So factor in an SHS/Rocket Hi Torque replacement.

On my son's G&G CM16 SRS (essentially the same gun internally), I have only replaced those two items and it's now a lovely little shooter (still using the stock barrel and hop rubber). Snappy enough on the trigger, but not crazy ROF, but with the extra benefit of the programming options on the Perun unit.

Just my 2 pence.

Edited by Speedbird_666
Typos

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Nathan442 said:

Thanks for the reply, may I ask why it’s not recommended to upgrade new guns ?

It's always risky tinkering with a sole gun, given the potential to make it worse, or unusable.  The basic non-ETU G&Gs are solid candidates for clean-it-then-leave-it-alone reliable workhorses.  They don't come with a big list of trick parts like a Specna or Lancer Tactical, but if you get a good one, they can work very well indeed.

I agree with @Speedbird_666 that the stock motors aren't great, and that's an easy enough swap, as above (I like the value proposition of Big Dragon M140 motors bought direct from AliExpress, to chisel every penny, but there's more of a risk and a wait with them).

Electrics can be a bit trickier, but the Perun ETU++ does take the worry out of that.  It's telling that Perun have come up with a mosfet specifically to sort the notorious issues with the G&G ETU.

If you want to fling more money at it, you can look at the parts in front of the gearbox.  ZCI and AOLS barrels tend to be pretty decent for not a lot of money, but as always with Chinesium parts its entirely down to the example you receive.  ZCI plastic rotary hop units work well, as do Maple Leaf hop rubbers and Maple Leaf (or clone) Omega nubs.

There's always a danger of introducing misfeeding or an air leak when fiddling with the hop and rubber, and they can be very frustrating to diagnose or fix as they only need a fraction of a mm misadjustment either way to manifest.

That risk can be ameliorated if you replace the barrel, hop unit and rubber as one, keeping the original G&G assembly aside and untouched.  If you do have problems on game day, it's literally a couple of minutes to swap the original back in.

Just please be aware that "upgrading" an airsoft gun can make it worse, or no better than the original parts, which are all designed to work together.  It's great fun to tinker, but generally after you have a spare to hand.

Those ETUs can fail after only two or three games.  The Perun is essential IMHO.  I wouldn't use one as my only rif without one fitted.  

Having written that I expect that someone will now comment that they have used one for years with no problems, but none of mine have lasted five minutes.  

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.