Jump plate carrier for a "Gentleman of gravitas"

AgentofEvil

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi, I'm looking for some advice from other chunky bois out there (I know you're out there I've seen ya 😉) 

I'm looking to buy a Jump plate carrier that will fit a 52-54+ inch chest with a little room to be worn over my combat jacket. Specifically a JPC with a view to adding a SRU armour kit onto it

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/sru-sr-tactical-armour-for-jpc-vest

Ideally something I can add to with maybe a battle belt or similar. All the sites I've been to list size M to 2xl but nothing reall specific when it comes to sizing. 

Would appreciate some guidance in helping me make my dream of becoming a fat futuristic commando come true. 

Thanks in advance! 

If it's futuristic you're after, you'd be better making your own setup out of EVA foam. I'm doing one right now (see "Eezer Goode's Sci Fi Armour Build Thread") and there's plenty tutorials online on what to do. @Rogerborg has also made some smart Warhammer 40k armour if you have a look at the Loadouts thread. So far I've only spent 25 quid on materials and have had lots of fun making it the way I want, rather than spending £170 on what is essentially some plastic that hardly provides any coverage. There's better things you can spaff the thick end of 200 quid on...

• Supporters
21 minutes ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

If it's futuristic you're after, you'd be better making your own setup out of EVA foam. I'm doing one right now (see "Eezer Goode's Sci Fi Armour Build Thread") and there's plenty tutorials online on what to do. @Rogerborg has also made some smart Warhammer 40k armour if you have a look at the Loadouts thread. So far I've only spent 25 quid on materials and have had lots of fun making it the way I want, rather than spending £170 on what is essentially some plastic that hardly provides any coverage. There's better things you can spaff the thick end of 200 quid on...

Horses for courses, dude. If he wants £200 worth of 3D printed fancy stuff, let him crack on. "Better" is very subjective.

Fair do's. I just know how expensive all this sci fi gear is. If one wants to unleash one's inner Stormtrooper, Master Chief, Doomguy or Corporal Hicks on the airsoft field there are ways to do it that don't have to be so costly.

• Supporters

Decent plate carriers often won't list sizes of the carrier exactly because you buy PCs based on the size of armour plates that go in them.  If you're already a big guy and want to wear a smock/jacket, then I don't know of a JPC style PC that's not going to look really off scale to be fully honest.  That and the SRU kit seems to be one size and based on counting the PALS columns visible in the product picture it may be a fitment issue for you, unless you've tried on in person already maybe?

Look up the sizes of SAPI plates for starters, that'll give you some info.

• Supporters
23 minutes ago, TheFull9 said:

Decent plate carriers often won't list sizes of the carrier exactly because you buy PCs based on the size of armour plates that go in them.  If you're already a big guy and want to wear a smock/jacket, then I don't know of a JPC style PC that's not going to look really off scale to be fully honest.  That and the SRU kit seems to be one size and based on counting the PALS columns visible in the product picture it may be a fitment issue for you, unless you've tried on in person already maybe?

Look up the sizes of SAPI plates for starters, that'll give you some info.

That^^^^

Plus the Chinese brands all tend to be sized around a SMALL SAPI plate so bear that in mind too.

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

I think you're probably right when you say that the SRU stuff is probably on the small side for my frame. Even if I was skinny I'm rather on the broad side, and £200 is rather a lot for armour that will look like a kids size on me 😆😆

Maybe using a tactical vest as a base then making my own to fit on top is the way to go. 

Thanks again, you given me some ideas to think about

• Supporters
57 minutes ago, AgentofEvil said:

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

I think you're probably right when you say that the SRU stuff is probably on the small side for my frame. Even if I was skinny I'm rather on the broad side, and £200 is rather a lot for armour that will look like a kids size on me 😆😆

Maybe using a tactical vest as a base then making my own to fit on top is the way to go. 

Thanks again, you given me some ideas to think about

Have a look on Etsy for "cosplay Armour" There's loads of stuff on there like this: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/615391652/apex-mk4-upper-armour-combo-sci-fi-armor?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=cosplay+armor&ref=sr_gallery-2-7&col=1

• Supporters

@AgentofEvil, how fit are you mate ?, I ask as a fellow "gentleman of gravitas", & do you play full on, as in getting stuck in when the whistle blows for game on, or are you more in to the safezone posturing & posing, & keep the physical side of the gameplay to a minimum ?.

Definitely no offence meant, but most of the chunky monkeys on sites, myself included, are past their peak with regards to fitness, & all too often those same guys who choose to kit up in the gucci looking full plate carriers etc are the same guys you see in the safe one at lunchtime stripped down to their baselayers, bathed in sweat & a funny shade of purple 🥵. 

If you feel your fitness is up to it, fill yer boots, but if you've got even the slightest doubts, think carefully before you blow your wad on a load of kit thats unnecessary for having fun in Airsoft, even if it does look cool as fuck😎

1 hour ago, Tackle said:

@AgentofEvil, how fit are you mate ?, I ask as a fellow "gentleman of gravitas", & do you play full on, as in getting stuck in when the whistle blows for game on, or are you more in to the safezone posturing & posing, & keep the physical side of the gameplay to a minimum ?.

Definitely no offence meant, but most of the chunky monkeys on sites, myself included, are past their peak with regards to fitness, & all too often those same guys who choose to kit up in the gucci looking full plate carriers etc are the same guys you see in the safe one at lunchtime stripped down to their baselayers, bathed in sweat & a funny shade of purple 🥵. 

If you feel your fitness is up to it, fill yer boots, but if you've got even the slightest doubts, think carefully before you blow your wad on a load of kit thats unnecessary for having fun in Airsoft, even if it does look cool as fuck😎

Yeah I'm pretty capable. I'm not 20 anymore, but I can move around the field and get the job done without running around like a complete boob end. 

Thanks I'll be careful what I "blow my wad on" for sure  😆😆

2 minutes ago, AgentofEvil said:

Thanks I'll be careful what I "blow my wad on" for sure  😆😆

Prostitutes,guns and takeaways is a good.place to start. 

Never hurt me...oops gotta go wife's just got in........

If you're set on a JPC then perhaps get a basic one as a base to work from, then you can add stuff to it on the MOLLE loops.

I've just gone straight to making the armour piece from a camping mat and secured it round my waist with an old battle belt.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.