helmet mounted Howard leight ear pro

ghostwalker

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So in an attempt to take a little pressure off of my head when wearing my ear pro and helmet, i found the combination was pressing on my temples and giving me head aches and making my ears hurt like hell from the head band being pressed down by the helmet.

A few Google searches and armed with some knowledge and no skill I decided to 'modify' my Howard leight ear pro to be helmet mounted. To clarify they are out of warranty as this would invalidated it and its also pretty darn permanent.

So here it is before hand.. helmet, ear pro and some earmore exfil mounts. 

20211026_105129.thumb.jpg.717b4e8b5945a60bfaba772e57c76087.jpg

So.. After cutting the leather headband and carefully avoiding the wires. Then using a dremmel to cut the metal wire mounts, I removed the headband then twisted the remaining wire mounts and removed them from the ear cups.

Inserted the wire mounts on the earmore attachments into the ear cups, mounted them to the rails on my exfil and ran the wire under the helmet cover.

20211026_120259.thumb.jpg.8c2ebe83c646fa94b64c6676f644b4a1.jpg

20211026_120318.thumb.jpg.a361eb6b599caa717763913896549cc4.jpg

All still works they have enough flex to be stored up or down for use.

Simple enough for even me to do.

Edited by ghostwalker

• ghostwalker changed the title to helmet mounted Howard leight ear pro

Nice job. I was looking at these as they seem a great option to replace the cheap ones I got to see if I was happy running something on my ears all day, which I am.

Are you running a mic with these as well?

10 minutes ago, Panama said:

Nice job. I was looking at these as they seem a great option to replace the cheap ones I got to see if I was happy running something on my ears all day, which I am.

Are you running a mic with these as well?

I am. you have to use a couple of bits to do it.

I use a cheap baofeng radio,

this fist mic https://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyTalk-Speaker-Microphone-Portable-Talkies-KMC-17/dp/B0768Y2YSD/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=kenwood+speaker+mic&qid=1581976035&sr=8-10

then a 2.5mm to 3.5mm jack adapter as the fist mic has a 2.5mm hole and the howard leights have a 3.5mm cable.

The whole set up works a treat and full credit goes to @SgtTalbert who recommended the leight/fist mic combo to me originally

I have done this myself (same parts etc) but i used tin snips not dremel to cut down arms. however mine aren't fully retained - you can pull them out. as an interim i have used elastic bands to keep them snug. contemplating glueing them in place but concerned it would mean there is no room for adjustment/error. did i do something wrong? thanks

I did see in the youtube videos that most of the helmet mount arms are ever so slightly thinner. But on mine they are tight enough to stop the cups just sliding off.

You could possible use a thin layer of electrical tape to thicken the stems.

The other thing and I know as I did it myself is to make sure the plastic arms on the side of the ear cups are the right way up. I put one side the wrong way up the metal arms just slipped straight out.

• Supporters

Same set up for me too , boefeng uv5 , fleabay fist mic . With my mounts one set fitted fine other side kept slipping (now that was annoying !)so I just put a piece of heat shrink on each leg and they stay in place fine after that .👍

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.