TM MP5 NGRS Owners

JamesWills

On 26/11/2023 at 17:52, Jacob Wright said:

Yeah comes wired to an MR30 as standard - I’m assuming to allow the ECU to monitor the battery level?

Gave up making a connector due to my shite soldering, the Eagle 6 one has been spot on. 

Don't need another wire to monitor battery voltage, maybe it's for trigger positive

I might just be special, but I've manged to squeeze a nunchuck 7.2 lipo (with mini tamiya) into a WiiTech repro handguard. It's tricky but doable - but yes, i admit it would be better with a direct to MR30. I run the cables above the barrel, and the battery at 4 and 8 o'clock. Long Mlok at 6 o'clock with a vert grip and small light.

Moved on from having the mr30 to deans adapter…decided to re-wire my batteries with mr30’s so it plugged straight into the mp5. Deans plugs was definitely easier but I wouldn’t say it was difficult to solder the mr30’s into place. 

Ended up having to make a deans to mr30 adapter for the charger as well.

0EC4C41C-3E49-4C92-9B0D-CB469169DA66.jpeg

F267BA17-DA1A-4AF7-A4C8-5779E759AFB8.jpeg

There’s 3 cables coming from the gearbox that’s soldered into the mr30 connector. I don’t want to touch that for a few reasons. One, is that there won’t be any place for the third wire as the deans plugs only has 2 leads. Another is that the wires are on the shorter side….I don’t want to go through the process of tearing into the gun to re-wire everything (not to mention the other NGRS mp5’s I own). Third, mr30 should be adequate for the job. The Marui 7.4v 1500mah 35c lipo utilizes the mr30 connector. I’m only running a 7.4v 1300mah 20c lipo.

I was running the mr30 to deans adapter for my mp5a5, mp5a4, and mp5 sd6. I just pulled them out of the guns so I can now run the batteries that I soldered mr30’s on.

Even if I was running the mr30 to deans adapter and still using the deans plugged battery, the battery is still essentially connected via the mr30 connector.

The other 7.4v 1300mah batteries that I was using with the deans connectors on them probably won’t be used for the mp5 anymore unless I end up pulling an mr30 to deans adapter from my box. They’ll be used for the 74mn, M4’s, Scar’s, and MK46 when I switch over to them.

14 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Yeah, just chop off the mr30's and replace with Deans. (One wire at a time of course 😉)

More connectors = wasted power and less space.

Less wires. Also neater.

C34F61F4-ABD1-4A2A-A249-E0F01AE5E893.jpeg

4CCD842D-14B0-4480-94A0-86579C30B140.jpeg

C3B7591D-03DF-4085-9768-3C10B6FEE360.jpeg

Yep, totally up to you.  (I thought the gun was wired to Deans)

Doesn't make much sense that there are 3 wires going into the mr30 which then connects to only 2 wires on the battery.  Two wires must be going to one.  (Likely a sensor wire for a MOSFET)

4 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Yep, totally up to you.  (I thought the gun was wired to Deans)

Doesn't make much sense that there are 3 wires going into the mr30 which then connects to only 2 wires on the battery.  Two wires must be going to one.  (Likely a sensor wire for a MOSFET)

Yeah. I’m not sure. The mr30 has three leads on it. Maybe a low voltage cut off built into the Marui trigger system. The Marui 7.4v 1500mah 35c lipo using the mr30 also has 3 wires coming out of it which I assume is for balance charging.

on a 7.4v lipo, the connector for balance charging is also the same connector you plug a low voltage monitor/alarm into (when you’re running lipos on RC’s) so you don’t run the batteries too low.

Edited by PigDoggy

10 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Did it come wired to mr30 from new?   Might be a new thing

Yes. The Mr30 plugs were factory Marui install. The NGRS MK46 Mod 0 has it as does the Marui P90 Plus.

Mr30 is a new thing by Marui.

said guns came wired for mr30 and had an mr30 to mini tamiya adaptor from the factory.

So it seems the TM battery has no seperate balance connector, but it does have a Battery management system covering balance charging, over and under charging and discharging and battery temperature.

What the extra wire is I dunno, or why the rif needs one I also don't know.

Maybe there's a manual somewhere

15 hours ago, Sewdhull said:

So it seems the TM battery has no seperate balance connector, but it does have a Battery management system covering balance charging, over and under charging and discharging and battery temperature.

What the extra wire is I dunno, or why the rif needs one I also don't know.

Maybe there's a manual somewhere

Here ya go bro....  

That battery plugs directly into the ECU/Receiver of the Traxxas TRX4M. The battery has 3 wires coming off of it (no other connectors)...where it plugs in also has 3 prongs to accommodate the connector with the three wires coming out of the battery.

The charger for the battery also has three prongs/wires for it. The connector from the battery is also the balancer/charging connector for the OE marui battery.

I believe the trigger unit on these new marui's have a low voltage detector and will cut off operation when the marui lipo battery is running low.

4777be0f892d1f8d479b5e8b04992d65.jpg

tm_z_mslipo.jpg

Edited by PigDoggy

Most etus have some low battery detection, no need for a third wire.

Say the 3rd wire has no voltage on it because you use a 2 wire battery on it, if the etu was measuring voltage it would measure 0v and the rif would not work right?

Bottom line is that TM have added a BMS to the battery for whatever reason along with a connector no one else uses.

Drone types do use this connector, but that's because brushless motors have 3 voltage supplies from the speed controller altho I preferred to save weight and use bullet connectors.

Honestly tho, balance charging on a 2 cell battery is probably unnecessary, but still better than not doing it.

It hasn’t been an important thing for me to look into why TM really decided to use three wire setups to run their electronics…. I’m sure they have a good reason….their newer aeg’s now utilize them to be used in conjunction with the Marui lipo battery.

You can still use regular nicad/nimh/ and other lipo batteries that use two wires for the power output.

I opted to wire my lipos for mr30 so it looks neater (and to save compartment space) than having that mr30 to deans adapter. I’ve ran my mp5’s like that the past couple of years with no I’ll effect. I just felt the need to get mr30 connectors.

If I pick up another mp5 (probably another MP5A4), I won’t need to change connectors on other batteries. I have another MP5 SD6 in the closet that I’m thinking about turning into an SD5….and that A4 that I’m looking at maybe getting gets turned into another MP5A5. Maybe just do a basic surefire 628 handguard install and call it a day.

Might be the last game of the year for me earlier. Least I got to use all of em. 😊

9A948216-A83C-4801-BE54-49071CA87A31.jpeg

9 hours ago, Wavey_Gravey said:

Which ones your favourite? Looks wise it’s the SD for me but I really prefer the full stock when using one.

Honestly, they are all equally fun. It’s fun to install the exterior accessories on them. I ran them with tracer units on so they were essentially the same length….virtually the same.

my go to has been the sd6 primarily because of the fact that I can run my camera over the suppressor.

at some point I’ll get camera mounts for the suppressors I have for the other two as well.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 1st commando said:

It pains me to admit this but having just got my MP5 it seems TM have actually got it right with these

They did and I've said before that I think this is the best AEG TM have made so far. It will be interesting to see where TM go with the design. I'd imagine a MP5K is on the cards with a stupid battery option in the front grip and hopefully after that a G3 recoil. TM have a history with making G3's so I can see them going down the G3 route again hopefully.