Radio License

Ewandarbz

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As far as I'm aware, you need to apply through this site https://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your-licence/radiocommunication-licences/business-radio/apply-business-radio

It's £75 and it'll cover you for 5 years. Ofcom will give you set frequencies to use.

• Supporters
12 minutes ago, Ewandarbz said:

Hi so I’ve recently wanted to start using a radio in milsims etc and just found out about the license and I was wondering how hard is it to get one and how many people actually have one 

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0022/29272/ofw432.pdf

You want the "Simple UK" option for an individual. Fill in the form, pay the money, get a licence. Also you should understand that this licences you for a given set of frequencies.

Note that it depends on what type of radio/frequencies you want to use

A PMR handset, on the PMR range of frequencies does not need a licence 

A non PMR handset, such as Baofengs need a licence - and for you to operate in the frequencies covered by your licence 

Personally, I have a licence that covers my entire team, I know there are individual options out there that are cheaper, I pay £70 a year for my licence

Out of interest anyone successfully use smartphones connected to headsets for airsoft purposes?  I know likely an issue that remote sites lacking in signal etc but have a few spare smartphones I'm considering doing such with 

18 minutes ago, remus said:

Out of interest anyone successfully use smartphones connected to headsets for airsoft purposes?  I know likely an issue that remote sites lacking in signal etc but have a few spare smartphones I'm considering doing such with 

I’ve used phones as comms on sites - I’ve phoned people at big games getting them to look around the safe zone and to send reinforcements, or as part of managing a game on large sites.

For headsets I’ve never really been happy, if the connector is good or you are on Bluetooth then it ought to be OK

Even if my headsets been fine I’ve still had problems with other people, either their headset is rubbish, they don’t plug into the socket properly or as I experienced once we had our own radios among the team plus a faction radio and one of us was relaying. The problem was he decided to plug a headset into the faction radio (after comms check) and it wasn’t compatible, so there were zero comms.

Another hate is that some people decide to activate vox when they have a headset.  Vox is evil

It should be possible to use smart phones as a walkie talkie via an app and transmit as localised wifi

Look up an app called Zello, it acts as a PTT app over 4G, you create a channel, invite other users, you can pw protect channel

I've dabbled with it, looking at options, but most peopledon't want to have their mobiles on the field as it's too easy to accumulate screen damage

The guys i play with have all got a boafeng radios, non of them have licenses but program them for pmr use. So I jumped on the bandwagon and its an easy setup to do and help enough.

16 hours ago, concretesnail said:

The guys i play with have all got a boafeng radios, non of them have licenses but program them for pmr use. So I jumped on the bandwagon and its an easy setup to do and help enough.

Sorry to be the one fella, but that is still illegal, Baofengs not BF-88x transmit at 1 or 5 watts, the legal limit on PMR is 0.5 watts... Although the chances of getting collared are infinitesimal... What you will end up doing is jamming the frequency for anyone else tryingg to use 446MHz because of your higher output

Our little group bought a license. The UK light one, I think it was £75 and covers us for 5 years. Split between the 5/6 it wasn't a lot and even then when you spread that over 5 years, well worth it to get off the peasant channels and power restrictions.

The long and short of it is that if you buy a radio and can program/remove it's antenna then it isn't technically legal for PMR use however the chances of getting caught are about the same as Victoria Beckham hitting the right note in a Spice Girls reunion concert.

For the amount we spend on kit and pouches and stuff, a radio license is pocket money.

On 15/02/2021 at 11:52, Steveocee said:

Our little group bought a license. The UK light one, I think it was £75 and covers us for 5 years. Split between the 5/6 it wasn't a lot and even then when you spread that over 5 years, well worth it to get off the peasant channels and power restrictions.

The long and short of it is that if you buy a radio and can program/remove it's antenna then it isn't technically legal for PMR use however the chances of getting caught are about the same as Victoria Beckham hitting the right note in a Spice Girls reunion concert.

For the amount we spend on kit and pouches and stuff, a radio license is pocket money.

Agreed, the worst part of getting the license is navigating that hateful abortion of a website OFCOM have!

Also, @Steveoceewell done for raising the illegality issue sensibly and not screaming "oFcOm pOlIcE wiLL rAiD yOu OMG!!!11!!111! tHyE wiLL BAN aIrSoFt bEcAuSe oF u!!11!!!' as is the wont of some people (mainly on FB, you know the guy!)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.