Post Brexit PayPal Fees?

Macv276
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Have I missed something? Have paypal fees increased since brexit? 😅 

Taken from an attempted buy on prefired. Is it me or is the seller taking the proverbial a little? 

Eh, maybe I'm wrong and just a tight fisted northerner! 

Screenshot_20200204_093758.jpg

10%?! Jog right on, seller is chancing it.

Its something loads of people do, really common in the airsoft world for some reason.

Feel free to point out from PayPal's T&Cs:

4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions

chancer indeed.

also note that a lot of price rises have already been blamed on brexit even though atm there is no change in process and no need for such. retail in general always do this, any excuse to raise prices... (and blame buisness closing on it too even though they have been struggling for years... coughcarindustrycough

1 hour ago, Macv276 said:

Have I missed something? Have paypal fees increased since brexit? 😅 

Taken from an attempted buy on prefired. Is it me or is the seller taking the proverbial a little? 

Eh, maybe I'm wrong and just a tight fisted northerner! 

Screenshot_20200204_093758.jpg

We haven’t even left the EU properly.

He’s chancing it or is incapable of reverse engineering a percentage.

Use the PayPal fee calculator linked below, but do correct the rate - the standard UK fee is 3.4% plus 20p

https://www.clothnappytree.com/ppcalculator/

It won’t be 3.4% of £80 but £80 needs to be 96.6% of the amount you pay .... and the 20p of course.

The guy could be wrong as if the payment is low enough then the 20p makes the percentage appear higher.

Alternatively he also does not know what he is talking about and is going by the eBay fee of 10%
As a rough guide as a nice round easy number  I put 15% on my preferred asking price & postage on eBay, then round it, so if I made it 5% on £80 it would come out to £4 and I’d be laying on £1 more than needed

You need to pay £83.02 which will come out as 3.4% = £2.82 then add 20p

A6C8CF9A-C845-43B8-B619-12B65FA32B5B.png

If a seller is reasonable or I buy something on here, generally I'll cover the PayPal fees or if its cheap, send through friends and family. I've had some right dodgy people on Prefired before and been stung for it. 

11 minutes ago, Macv276 said:

If a seller is reasonable or I buy something on here, generally I'll cover the PayPal fees or if its cheap, send through friends and family. I've had some right dodgy people on Prefired before and been stung for it. 

Absolutely - sometimes I’ll send as friends / family / money owed.  But in doing so I must be willing to lose the money sent with no comeback.

If you don’t want to lose money then the fees are worth it - they also pay for PayPal to exist as a service, lose that and it’s back to bank transfers, postal orders, cheques and face to face only 

Even with the most trustworthy something could happen in the post etc.  PayPal protection covers both buyer and seller, a no fees transfer allows PayPal to wash their hands of it and leave you to it

Scandal.

Just trying to make money on an item they feel they are advertising low. Hence why when I sell I will only ever advertise a single price which has fees and any postage taken into consideration and is actually easy to digest as a buyer.

Postage should never be monetised as a second hand seller, it's a cost to selling not an item to markup and fees, laughable, I'd happily pay £3 to make £80. Boohoo I only get £77 more in my account.....£77 more than I would have had if I hadnt spent £3 to sell said item.

• Supporters

Standard answer:

Ask him to go to

https://www.paypal.com/invoice/create

And to send you an invoice listing the goods and services that he's providing (item and postage), and a total for what he wants you to pay.

You decide whether you want to pay that amount for those goods and services, yes or no.

How much of that money goes to PayPal, how much to a courier, and how much into his pocket is not your concern.  That's for the seller to work out.

Never pay Friends and Family, never just send money without clear documentation of what you're paying for. Because in the event of a dispute, that's your contract.

This sounds more stuffy and onerous than it is.  It's a clear and unambiguous way of doing the transaction, and there's nothing on that invoice that the seller shouldn't already have thought through, or that they won't have to think about and deal with before the item gets in your hands, so it should add just seconds to the process.

And anyone who won't do it - and I've had sellers say that they won't - can immediately be sacked off as a scammer, chancer, fantasist, or just bone idle.

Yeah, I've never really gotten that. I always advertise for the total amount including PayPal fees and tracked courier to within The UK.

Archived