Servicing an AEG

Albiscuit
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have a couple of AEGs which get a bit of use and a few which have not had any for a couple of years.

My questions to you all are.

1-how often do you think an Aeg needs a service (I know it’s dependant on use, but what’s a benchmark, or what do you do with yours? Obviously I wouldn’t use the one which have been sitting unused without a look by someone competent)

2- what could I do sporadically to keep them in in a decent working order other than a barrel clean. A squirt of something here, a dab of this there??

3- What would a tech likely do if I dropped an AEG in for a “service” and could I do most of it myself? (My knowledge base and time is low, but I don’t fancy dropping 5 guns in to be looked at if all they will do is clean the barrel, tighten a nut and give it a wipe down and charge me for it!!)

thanks in advance

• Supporters

kinda depends, mostly i go by how the thing shoots, if it starts losing too much velocity/consistency/accuracy then i'll fix whatever particular issue is at fault (usually air seal). but none of the guns i'm working with tend to sit longer than a year between shoots.

as above the most basic routine maintenance is to clean the barrel properly. if possible (ie easily removed) i preferr to clean it outside the gun so i can look down and make sure it's shining.

I tend to service my gearbox after 4/5 games, however no need if it's running fine.  I do a barrel and bucking clean every 1/2 games.

A good tech will do an initial test, then strip down, inspect, take photo's of any issues,  replace any parts, clean and re-grease gearbox, clean inner barrel and bucking, test with a video of picture of final FPS.  Keeping you well informed with pictures and video along the way hopefully.

Some of my customers also service their motors every 3 games or so, pretty good idea

1 hour ago, ak2m4 said:

I tend to service my gearbox after 4/5 games, however no need if it's running fine.

Really? Wow. I salute your dedication.

I’ve just got my very first AEG and honestly don’t plan on doing anything beyond barrel cleaning until it breaks… at which point I’ll send it off for servicing/repair. Which probably sounds lazy, but I know next to nothing about gearboxes and electronics and don’t have the time nor willingness to learn. I'd only f*** things up even more if I started messing with it. Plus, I can help to keep the techs in business 💰

Off topic: That said, I do also run a GBBR, which I genuinely enjoy servicing. I find the mechanical nature of it much easier to understand and work with. In fact for me, GBBRs seem far less “high maintenance” than AEGs, despite their reputation. I think it’s more the case that many players don’t bother maintaining their AEGs at all… and so any form of maintenance seems like a hassle.

Fair enough, I clean the barrel every couple of games and will do that. Its the regreasing the gearbox that I wouldnt even know where to start on.

They do shoot/sound fine. Just wondered if bits dried up, needed checking every year or so or anything needed tightening up for example, as my local shop closed I dont really have a tech or place I now use and didnt want to be charged a fortune for parts I dont need or things I can do myself.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

Fair enough, I clean the barrel every couple of games and will do that. Its the regreasing the gearbox that I wouldnt even know where to start on.

They do shoot/sound fine. Just wondered if bits dried up, needed checking every year or so or anything needed tightening up for example, as my local shop closed I dont really have a tech or place I now use and didnt want to be charged a fortune for parts I dont need or things I can do myself.

The guns I service are all on a 12 monthly basis.

Or anything that has just sat around for 6 months or so.

Most shops techs are idiots and at least half of the repairs I have done are because some monkey messed with it.

Either pick a well known tech who has a stellar reputation (about 6 of them) or learn how to do it yourself.

Archived