German import VAT charge?

Wo1f
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ordered a new toy from gunfire and got a message from Royal Mail saying I owe Vat on it. When have you ever had to pay for something from the EU? Last time I checked we’re still handcuffed to the turd of a continent. 

3418160C-123D-45AD-A67A-F8BDC5BBE9A5.png

It could have been dropshipped from anywhere, (the card does show the sender being in Germany, that does not guarantee the package wasn’t sent from elsewhere)

Another issue could be that German VAT has not been charged.

Freedom of movement in the EU means that you should not incur taxes twice. Sometimes a company exporting won’t charge local taxes.  If that’s the case then import VAT would apply

Check your order details for VAT and then query with Royal Mail 

It is polish @Immortal. Just figured it had passed though there. 

Ive double checked my gunfire order and it states the free shipping is with UPS, so it should have nothing to do with RM

phoned Royal Mail who were even less help than you can imagine. She couldn’t  tell me who sent the package or where it came from. She just kept repeating ‘it’s because it’s from another country.’ And not comprehending the fact you don’t have to pay Import duty from an eu country. 

So ive come to the conclusion it’s not my gunfire order and I haven’t ordered anything else to my knowledge.. I received the message from Royal Mail in the same text thread as I always do. 

35 minutes ago, Steveocee said:

I think that was a joke but wasn't sure....You're aware "The EU" is different from the continent Europe right?

I am aware that the European Union is not the same thing as the continent of Europe. 

1 minute ago, Immortal said:

Must be the leather Lederhosen...

I suddenly remember 😂

@Wo1f It's not just a random but exceptionally conveniently timed phishing message is it? The pops had something extremely similar recently, was awaiting something from a courier and he received a text from a different courier asking him to click to pay a delivery charge.

22 minutes ago, Steveocee said:

@Wo1f It's not just a random but exceptionally conveniently timed phishing message is it? The pops had something extremely similar recently, was awaiting something from a courier and he received a text from a different courier asking him to click to pay a delivery charge.

I thought that at first, but it fell in the same text message thread as my other, genuine rm messages so it’s from the same recipient.

• Supporters

I'd call RM back, if you get another dope who can't comprehensively explain why there are charges for an item sent within the EU, then ask to speak to someone "higher" up the chain to resolve or clarify it.

Don't mention "drop shipping" , they may not be aware & you don't want to give them an excuse to cling to.

• Supporters

Sight unseen, I'd guess that Gunfire haven't ticked the "VAT paid" box, and no amount of explanation on your part is going to fix that.

However, I'd note that they're already playing fast and loose with slapping extra fees on PayPal payments, so I'd be a tiny little bit concerned that shenanigans are afoot.

Archived