Will the M4/AR-15 platform remain dominant?

Seth_Erebor
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I believe that is the case, however the us DoD can be slower than the MoD when it comes to bringing in a new standard. the recommendation of a few reports that they have commissioned seems to suggest a calibre of around 6.5mm and they seem to have a desire for a completely new design that isn't available yet. although they have set a date of around 2020 which is not that far away.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2017/05/07/new-rifle-bigger-bullets-inside-the-army-s-plan-to-ditch-the-m4-and-5-56/

3 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Look, it'll be fine as long as everyone plays war honestly. :P

I do wonder if flechette rounds will ever be seriously considered.  I mean, considered again.

Are they not banned to members of the UN as its okay to kill but not to intentionally to maim. 

• Supporters
41 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I do wonder if flechette rounds will ever be seriously considered.  I mean, considered again.

it keeps perenially popping up, the number of crazy guns spawned from various projects to increase hit probability is amazing.

thing is they almost always end up as some rube goldberg contraption like the g11 or an94 and end up just not justifying the switch.

dont think the americans are likely to change too far from the ar platform, it'll just be minor changes. it'd be interesting to see if they take a leaf out of inrange's WWSD project and go for an ultra lightweight build, after all the lighter the rifle the more things like peq boxes, m203's, bipods, grips, flashlights etc you can hang off it and still have a manageable gun.

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

dont think the americans are likely to change too far from the ar platform

The Marines seem to have decided to switch entirely to the M27, which is essentially an HK416.  It looks similar to the M4 / AR and takes STANAG mags and 5.56 rounds, but internally is a rather different beast.  I'd suspect they'll go with that platform, chambered in their new kill-o-calibre of choice.

There's some grumping about the extra cost over the M4, but really it's trivial compared to the cost of training and retaining the finger on the trigger.

• Supporters
25 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

The Marines seem to have decided to switch entirely to the M27, which is essentially an HK416.  It looks similar to the M4 / AR and takes STANAG mags and 5.56 rounds, but internally is a rather different beast.  I'd suspect they'll go with that platform, chambered in their new kill-o-calibre of choice.

There's some grumping about the extra cost over the M4, but really it's trivial compared to the cost of training and retaining the finger on the trigger.

i consider the 416 as being "close enough" to consider it the same, it's certainly much closer to an m4 in-use than many other designs including any of the bullpups out there.

• Supporters
36 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

According to this article https://www.military.com/kitup/2018/01/05/m27s-and-head-toe-gear-overhaul-way-marine-grunts.html the cost of the M27 has come way down thanks to volumes of sale!

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Look, it'll be fine as long as everyone plays war honestly. :P

(speaking of flechette rounds) Wasn't there a thing in WWII where Hitler said that the use of shotguns in trench warfare was unethical/inhumane...(oh the irony)?

• Supporters
32 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

(speaking of flechette rounds) Wasn't there a thing in WWII where Hitler said that the use of shotguns in trench warfare was unethical/inhumane...(oh the irony)?

twas ww1, the germans complained about the american use of shotguns, the american's response was along the lines of "lol says the guys using flamethrowers and mustard gas"

30 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

twas ww1, the germans complained about the american use of shotguns, the american's response was along the lines of "lol says the guys using flamethrowers and mustard gas"

Ah thanks! I knew I hadn't made it up (just got the wars wrong)!

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i consider the 416 as being "close enough" to consider it the same

Hmm, it appears that you can drop a 416 upper receiver straight onto an M4 / AR-15 lower, so I'll cheerfully concede that point.

Heckler and Koch's lawyers may beg to differ though. ;)

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Hmm, it appears that you can drop a 416 upper receiver straight onto an M4 / AR-15 lower, so I'll cheerfully concede that point.

Colt vs HK....sounds familiar! :D

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

i'm meaning when you consider the difference compared to say an ak, or any of the current issue bullpups, to me the 416 is just a fancy piston driven ar with an hk trigger group.

Archived