Best WE gbb pistols.

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I know there is plenty of stuff out there on the web, but there is also a good deal of disagreement on this question.

I know that two guns from the same factory may not perform equally well orequally badly. However there seems to be some consensus about WE Glocks and 1911s. The former tend to be viewed quite positively, while the latter are almost universally panned. Which is a pity as my Amourer Works pistol is supposedly built on the WE 1911 frame, but to a better standard. No problem. It will be looked at more than shot, and there are plenty of parts available.

Having heard very good things about the XDM I watched a video by a British bloke who wouldn't touch another one with a barge pole. Even though it was one owner with one gun, that gun was obviously a very poor one - shot gun pattern from bench rest, leaking, parts failure etc.. I think the video was a couple of years old, so it may be that WE have improved on the model's efficiency., but it made me stop and think..

So I just wondered which of the WE pistols forum members regard as the fairly safe bet for performance and reliability. I've been thinking along the lines of a Glock 17, P226, P92 clone and even a PX4 type.

My first gun, which I like well enough,  is pretty much a pimp's gun, and will only ever be used at home, so I,m looking for something a bit more practical. A Glock would probably be most suitable.

If I decided not to go WE again, I would probably try to pick up an ASG C75 P09 Duty, one of the Umarex PPQs, or, despite the weight, a KJW P226.

Having been airsofting for many a year, Ive owned pistols from a vast majority of brands. And with the exception of TM, theyve all be garbage and let me down (ok my KSC Cougar was good, but it broke and was impossible to get spares for). Ive had some of WE's earlier stuff, like their 1911s and they are notoriously bad.

HOWEVER, a cheap 2nd hand bargain came calling for a WE Glock19, for the price I thought its pretty much throwaway money if its crap.

Its now my primary sidearm, its absolutely brilliant. One of my mates has their XDm and its bloody good too. 

So in closing: WE old stuff = utter garbage, WE new stuff = actually surprisingly good. 

Thanks very much. 

I suppose I could save up for a KWA Glock at about another 60 quid, but, as you say, it will never be a TM. 

And, as you say, with anything other than TM you are taking a chance. So I would probably be best to go for one I like the look and convenience of - and that would almost certainly be a polymer framed gun.

I think I'll go for a Glock 17. Is the Gen4 any better in WE build quality than the Gen3 or are changes only cosmetic? 

To my knowledge the main problem, if not the only one, with (WE) 1911s is because they have small size magazines. So, you can't get a lot of gas into them. 

On the other hand, if you have a CO2 one, they are more efficient / have more power, and you should get all your shots out.

Similarly, because Tokyo Maruis are polymer, you don't use as much power -and therefore a smaller amount of gas- to cycle the slide. In turn, they are better for performance because you can empty a full mag and more with them but not almost universally with every metal-slide green gas 1911. The fact that they have very good accuracy anyway, being TMs is another reason they are liked but this stands for probably everything they make and a unique reason that makes them better than the others (of the 1911 model).

Hope that helps as a bit of an explanation.

1911’s are universally useless in terms of green gas. The magazines are just too small to hold the amount of gas needed. Co2 mags seem fine though. The solution is a hi-capa. Essentially a double stacked 1911. 

TM’s are generally regarded as the best pistols, but if you’re like me and you hate plastic slides, do what I did and get an FN5-7, which is all plastic in the real steel world. 

I have a we g18c that’s okay. Won’t finish a mag on auto, but it’s good enough for the purpose I use it for. 

My favorite pistol is the VFC FNX45 

• Supporters

I’ve a WE 1911 that’s got to be well over 10yrs old (i bought it from landwarrior , was in the very first batch to arrive in the country) and hand on heart it’s never let me down in all that time. Only thing I’ve always done is strip/clean and re-oil after every use . So are the vagouries of QC in Chinese manufacturing !

I've got a WE T-Rex (1911 hi cappa) .Had it for two years, never missed a beat even in cold weather, never cleaned it or even taken the slide off it either. 

I love mine & have no reason to say anything negative about it at all. maybe i'm lucky I don't know but I don't get why people bitch about them so much.

My son has a TM 1911 with a plastic slide so I often compare the two's capabilities, in my experience there isn't that much of a difference to be honest. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived